Newbie battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie battery question

This is my first post on here. Apologies if i am in the wrong section.I have a 1995 3.0 litre surf. It has 2 batteries (Sp sonic58am/5m) which i think are the original batteries. Both batteries have now 'died' (bless em). The question i would like to ask is:

Would it be ok to just replace them with 1 heavy duty battery ie bosch s range s4029 9ca. Would that be powerful enough to run on its own?

The hilux was sitting unused for 8 months, but i had had previous probs starting it . On removing both batteries there was very little fluid in them (i know shame on me)Would i be advised to get the alternator checked as my hubbie is paranoid about me driving it a long distance. Oh bye the way we topped the old batteries up and they wont even charge ..so i think it was the batteries slowly passing away...

Many thanks

Yes you can use one battery but you must insulate the unused cable ends or remove them completely.

You'll need a battery that has a minimum 650cca rating.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      Yes you can use one battery but you must insulate the unused cable ends or remove them completely.

You'll need a battery that has a minimum 650cca rating.
      Aint you going to shout at her for not sayin Hi first????

Welcome Shirley btw
      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

And whatever you do don't accidentally let the ratchet spanner your using to tighten the battery connectors slip out of your hands and touch something metal, because there's sparks. And screaming. And it makes your teeth feel funny

Comment

How very rude of me....

How very rude of me ..Hi Hi Hi to everyone....... Hey you didnt think i was going to do that job...thats what the hubby is for....anyway i am way too little to do that job ( 4' 10'' )....i cant even open the bonnet high enough to put the support on lol.... Thanks a lot guys for your help...greatly appreciated.

Comment

Hi n Welcome ....
            Find an ol caravan step n ya can prop up the bonnet u, no probs !!

There's always a Payback .... It'll always take longer than five minutes !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
              Hi n Welcome ....
              Find an ol caravan step n ya can prop up the bonnet u, no probs !!

There's always a Payback .... It'll always take longer than five minutes !!!!

Or fit gas struts like mine....

...but you'll still need a 'grown-up' to close it afterwards though.

Comment

Hey Vince - love the gas struts!!
                were they much bother to fit - ie measurements and angles to get them to close fully when shut and open without pushing bonnet through windscreen when open?
                I may just have a few new ones lying around which I could utilize.
                Some may think them unnecessary, but I know from working on the wifes BMW, they make things so much easier - work space wise!
                Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

well thanks guys for your input..... I'm off to take it for a run (caravan step on board and wearing my false eyelashes and mini skirt in case of the need for help).

thanks again
                  shirl

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
                    Hey Vince - love the gas struts!!
                    were they much bother to fit - ie measurements and angles to get them to close fully when shut and open without pushing bonnet through windscreen when open?
                    I may just have a few new ones lying around which I could utilize.
                    Some may think them unnecessary, but I know from working on the wifes BMW, they make things so much easier - work space wise!

I measured the length of the struts when they were compressed, and marked their positions on the bonnet and wing edges (making sure they wouldn't foul on anything as the bonnet was closing) with a felt tipped pen.
                    Then prop the bonnet open as far as the hinges would allow and check the extended struts were still within the area of the pen marks.
                    Then a short piece of angle iron on the lip of the wing where it bolts to the body to bolt one end of the strut to and a short piece of flat bar welded to one of the strengthening ribs on the underside of the bonnet to hold the other end.
                    Now when the bonnet release tab is pulled, the bonnet click open as normall, then you only need one hand to flip the safty catch and the bonnet flips up and stays there.
                    Plenty of room to work on the engine, no bonnet stay in the way and as the bonnet is open as far as it will go, more light to see what you're doing.

Let me know if you would like photos of the mounting plates.

p.s. don't use struts that are too powerful i.e. struts that are fitted to big, heavy glass tailgates the Surfs bonnet isn't that heavy. I used the struts from the Lexus bonnet that I got the V8 from.

Maybe I should do a wirte-up on this in the modifications section???

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
                      And whatever you do don't accidentally let the ratchet spanner your using to tighten the battery connectors slip out of your hands and touch something metal, because there's sparks. And screaming. And it makes your teeth feel funny
                      That only happens when you connect them up the wrong way.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        That only happens when you connect them up the wrong way.
                        Disconnect the negative first, re-connect last.

Comment

That would be good Vince, I've got some struts from my old 280ZX in the shed, was thinking about fitting them. So a wee step through would be nice.

Comment

Disconnect the negative first, re-connect last.
                            Yep, remembering to do both if you have 2 batteries!

Comment

I measured the length of the struts when they were compressed, and marked their positions on the bonnet and wing edges (making sure they wouldn't foul on anything as the bonnet was closing) with a felt tipped pen.
                              Then prop the bonnet open as far as the hinges would allow and check the extended struts were still within the area of the pen marks.
                              Then a short piece of angle iron on the lip of the wing where it bolts to the body to bolt one end of the strut to and a short piece of flat bar welded to one of the strengthening ribs on the underside of the bonnet to hold the other end.
                              Now when the bonnet release tab is pulled, the bonnet click open as normall, then you only need one hand to flip the safty catch and the bonnet flips up and stays there.
                              Plenty of room to work on the engine, no bonnet stay in the way and as the bonnet is open as far as it will go, more light to see what you're doing.

Let me know if you would like photos of the mounting plates.

p.s. don't use struts that are too powerful i.e. struts that are fitted to big, heavy glass tailgates the Surfs bonnet isn't that heavy. I used the struts from the Lexus bonnet that I got the V8 from.

Thanks for that Vince - very detailed.
                              I will get round to doing that very soon - and take lots of photo's for a write up.
                              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X