24volt chargeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by POPEYE
    At a quick read i dont think it'll work for me Andy as i needed to use 24v while running (and also charge it) but i'll have a proper read later, printed it,

thanks mate
    The system in the second diagram looks like it could be modified to suit your needs?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Going to have to study that one andy, i aint the brightest of sparks, as for invertors i think apache posted a link to some that would deliver 24v but these were (i think) more like laboratory items and could switch to whatever voltage you needed but at around 2-3 hundred quid a go it would be cheaper and easier to get a 12v pump, the one i've fitted is a bosh and we use'd to fit em to busses to cope with the extra heating runs that were added (overhead and drivers demist) at 24v they pump high volume and are made to endure the long engine hours that busses run, even at 12v it's circulateing but not as fast as i'd like,
      i run the engine up to temp while i was burping it and within 10 minuits the return was hot, this was with the pump running so for the cost involved i'll just have to put up with it at least till i aquire another pump, just thought there might be an easy/cheap solution,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
        Aye, probably...

My mistake, it's a step up transformer. For low power useage it's actually possible to use a step down transformer but wire it in reverse.

Mind I said possible; I didn't say safe!

I used to have a council lock-up in East Kilbride. It had a 24v power supply to it. I used a 240v - 24v transformer and wired it in reverse to give 240v lights could even run low wattage power tools off it.
        I dont think its quite that simple with DC and thats probably why its not cheap, I think you need to invert then transform then rectify or something like that, and Im going to shut up now before ( If i havent already ) say something that gets me a new avatar

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

24 Volt supply

If it is any help.
          The VX 4.2 Landcruiser had 12 volt electrics and charging BUT had 24 volt starting.
          They used couplers and solenoids wired in such a way as to give 24 when starting and was charged from the 12 volts when running.
          Depends on the wattage of the pump it should be possible to run it for a while and then put in some charge when the 24 volt starts to drop.
          It is almost impossible to make 12 volts into 24 volts DC easily if it were AC then a step up transformer is all that is needed.
          To do it with dc you must change it to AC step it up then pass it through a rectifier to convert it back to DC that is why it is so expensive.
          The other way to do this is to get anex military rotary converter which is just a 12 volt motor generator driving a 24 volt generator but they use shedfulls of amps.

I would go for a 12 volt pump if I were you.

Regards.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by muller1
            If it is any help.
            The VX 4.2 Landcruiser had 12 volt electrics and charging BUT had 24 volt starting.
            They used couplers and solenoids wired in such a way as to give 24 when starting and was charged from the 12 volts when running.
            Depends on the wattage of the pump it should be possible to run it for a while and then put in some charge when the 24 volt starts to drop.
            It is almost impossible to make 12 volts into 24 volts DC easily if it were AC then a step up transformer is all that is needed.
            To do it with dc you must change it to AC step it up then pass it through a rectifier to convert it back to DC that is why it is so expensive.
            The other way to do this is to get anex military rotary converter which is just a 12 volt motor generator driving a 24 volt generator but they use shedfulls of amps.

I would go for a 12 volt pump if I were you.

Regards.
            Mike

Yup 12v pump seems a dam sight simpler Mike, the one i have on will do for now,(bl00dy have to as i can't afford a new one,)

it's actually working a bit better now tho, i fitted a drain cock to the heater flow for burping the system and it took ages to warm through, i've since fitted another to the return and useing two bottles it's burping better and warming quicker, you can see the coolant dropping in the flow bottle and riseing in the return one (along with air bubbles), must have been air it it before,
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
              I dont think its quite that simple with DC and thats probably why its not cheap, I think you need to invert then transform then rectify or something like that, and Im going to shut up now before ( If i havent already ) say something that gets me a new avatar

Bogus
              Not that far off, to be honest. It would require a switching/oscillating circuit to produce a square wave output that the transformer could use, from a DC supply. By the time you've done, getting a 12V pump is a damned sight easier and cheaper.

Edit: Just before anyone goes ahead and says it, btw, yes, I do know this thread is two months old.
              Last edited by MattF; 19 January 2008, 02:07.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                Not that far off, to be honest. It would require a switching/oscillating circuit to produce a square wave output that the transformer could use, from a DC supply. By the time you've done, getting a 12V pump is a damned sight easier and cheaper.

Edit: Just before anyone goes ahead and says it, btw, yes, I do know this thread is two months old.
                Nice one Matt, yep already resigned meself to obtaining a 12v one, cheaper from the state's as far as i can see, meanwhile the 24v one is still pumping away, get's it round but not a quick as it might be

Comment

12v is for sure the quickest way to go. you can wire series and parallel to get your 24v but then you would need to rewire all your 12v wires to take the 24v supply and hell that would be jpb and a half!

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    Nice one Matt, yep already resigned meself to obtaining a 12v one, cheaper from the state's as far as i can see, meanwhile the 24v one is still pumping away, get's it round but not a quick as it might be

Comment

This request was just too mental to justify a reply.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                        This request was just too mental to justify a reply.
                        It was just the novelty of Bogus being almost correct for once which made me reply.

Comment

Working...
                        X