24volt chargeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24volt chargeing

Is it possible to fit two batterys wired to 24v and charge them from the trucks wireing, thinking of those things that only allow current to flow one way (diods?) or am i being silly, it would solve a problem i have if it's possible tho.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by POPEYE
    Is it possible to fit two batterys wired to 24v and charge them from the trucks wireing, thinking of those things that only allow current to flow one way (diods?) or am i being silly, it would solve a problem i have if it's possible tho.
    Why would you need 24volts Ian? You got 40 or more spots?
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
      Ah!!! it's one of those ideas that come to me in the wee hours

Comment

Ah!!! it's one of those ideas that come to me in the wee hours
        What you plannin to do? This info may help someone answer you cos i get stuck on relays
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner

Actually I think he has, I beleive he measures his lighting output in MW. Im surprised hes not asking about 6.6 or even 13.4 kv supplies

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

I've two light's "less" thanks to Carl, dont know what you mean Alex

OK! basicly i've fitted a 24v water pump to the vegoil heating, i've also a chance of a 24v fuel pump cheap so i thinking if i get two small batterys and wire em to 24v to run these and can keep em charged it will save me haveing to replace the pump etc, been looking and unless i'm lucky on ebay or get one from the states i'm stuck with this one, it's pumping but obviously at half speed, and it's a dam good pump, it was just a thought i had,

Comment

I've two light's "less" thanks to Carl, dont know what you mean Alex

OK! basicly i've fitted a 24v water pump to the vegoil heating, i've also a chance of a 24v fuel pump cheap so i thinking if i get two small batterys and wire em to 24v to run these and can keep em charged it will save me haveing to replace the pump etc, been looking and unless i'm lucky on ebay or get one from the states i'm stuck with this one, it's pumping but obviously at half speed, and it's a dam good pump, it was just a thought i had,
              Running all that youll get 6 mpg , itll end up at the shows will that truck, people will pay to go in it.

Blackpool on wheels if you will
              Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Why don't you get a 12v-24v inverter?
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I think the only way you could do it would be a completely isolated circuit and second alternator. It would have to be completely isolated though, the earths would have to be wired back to the battery(s) on this new circuit.

I guess the invertor method would work, but i really think you may be chasing a lost cause in the long rung.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Thanks Ian, just thought i'd ask tho, i've looked for 12-24v invertors but no joy unless ya pay megga money, looks like a pump from the states then,

Comment

Thanks Ian, just thought i'd ask tho, i've looked for 12-24v invertors but no joy unless ya pay megga money, looks like a pump from the states then,
                      Make one then...

http://www.vmarsmanuals.co.uk/newsle...24v_supply.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
                        At a quick read i dont think it'll work for me Andy as i needed to use 24v while running (and also charge it) but i'll have a proper read later, printed it,

thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by andy62
                          Why don't you get a 12v-24v inverter?
                          I,ll probably regret asking this, but why an inverter, I thought an inverter was for changing DC to A/C ? kinda like the opposite to a rectifier which I thought changed A/C to D/C. Educate me please.

Bogus
                          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                            I,ll probably regret asking this, but why an inverter, I thought an inverter was for changing DC to A/C ? kinda like the opposite to a rectifier which I thought changed A/C to D/C. Educate me please.

Bogus
                            you're actually probably right, it's probably a transformer we should be talking about.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                              you're actually probably right, it's probably a transformer we should be talking about.
                              Aye, probably...

My mistake, it's a step up transformer. For low power useage it's actually possible to use a step down transformer but wire it in reverse.

Mind I said possible; I didn't say safe!

I used to have a council lock-up in East Kilbride. It had a 24v power supply to it. I used a 240v - 24v transformer and wired it in reverse to give 240v lights could even run low wattage power tools off it.
                              Last edited by Albannach; 19 November 2007, 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X