yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
    Is this a decent set of gaskets for the price? It's cheaper than the other ones (which average over £100) but looks identical.

I won't need all of it unless I do the head (which is not likely).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1409113079...84.m1423.l2648

Works out about £80 unless duty is avoided. Every little helps.
    I'd say it was a very good price, I wouldn't use the head gaskets though.
    Toyota if you need those.
    I paid more than that for the cam cover gaskets and plug tube seals alone,
    they weren't OEM but aftermarket and from this country.
    Still on a mission.

Comment

• Cheers, Baz. Yeh, I'd want OEM for the heads.

And yeh, Albannach, it had crossed my mind But the similar, slightly more expensive kit has been linked to on many build threads. This got me thinking it could be a good option.

Comment

Need to source an engine hoist. Probably going to get the one you got as lesser ones are the same price and second-hand ones are very little difference in price. Although I'm sure that linked one has gone up £15.
        Just went to sort this out (got an advance on Friday's pay) and it's gone up £50!!!!!!! Mo fos.

Loads on eBay but they're mixed reviews. Still...only need it for a few jobs.

Those who bought this seem happy. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1206422189...84.m1438.l2648

But really wanted it for the weekend, though.

Comment

• Score...sent a message to SGS and they've now popped the hoist on a sale. Haven't see any reply since I'm at work...but I believe it's because of my inquiry.

Anywho....2 ton hoist, 680kg stand and a load leveler on its way This thread could see some meaningful progress yet

Comment

• Sounds like a great result...

Comment

• After I bought...the price jumped up a bit Not as far as it was though.

Vince: What are the common socket sizes used when taking the 1UZ-FE out? I have all the sizes in normal sockets but only a small section of impacts (10mm, 14mm, 17mm and 19mm). Don't need to buy a full set now and my local parts places sells them separately anyway.

I'll be using your guide in zem_41's thread

Cheers

Comment

• 10mm 12mm 14mm 17mm 19mm 21mm 22mm.

I mostly use deep sockets and ratchet spanners.

21mm (socket) is the crank pulley bolt size, 22mm (Ring spanner) for the O2 sensors.

The rest of the engine is 10mm/12mm/14mm nuts & bolts.

You'll need a deep 32mm socket to remove the propshaft flange nut to be able to take off the end cover to mate the transfercase.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 28 November 2013, 23:51.

Comment

• Awesome! Thanks

Yeh...I'm all deep sockets on the impact stuff. And I have ratchet spanners on my list.

It's a ###### long list

Comment

• Right, a good day.

I cleaned out the garage (sadly that meant taking down my gym...but I have no choice ), built the crane and engine stand.

But I also managed to finally get the compression test done on the one that screams HG on the visual test (the Blue 93) Being able to pop the car into the garage (with its ass hanging out the back) is a major help, now.

So, the results (just did a dry test - forgot the wet):

14.6 bar (212 psi) 8 - 7 15.6 bar (226 psi)
                    14.4 bar (209 psi) 6 - 5 15.1 bar (219 psi)
                    14.4 bar (209 psi) 4 - 3 15.1 bar (219 psi)
                    14.4 bar (209 psi) 2 - 1 15.6 bar (226 psi)

So you can see both sides are pretty much the same to their 4 cylinders...but the left bank is clearly down on the right. But only slightly.

The difference (bearing in mind the dial isn't exact it increments) doesn't seem to be huge. The difference in cylinders on a single bank is nothing. But the difference between the left and right seems to be only about 8% difference.

Am I right in thinking 8% bewteen sides isn't something to worry about?

In my ignorance it seems to be a pretty solid result.
                    Last edited by Sylux; 1 December 2013, 18:04.

Comment

• Not having much luck finding if there's an issue here. Each bank is consistent and the different sides aren't too far out. Obviously I'd prefer consistency on both sides...but I'll keep digging to see if there's an issue.

Anywho...fingers crossed it's similar weather next week. It'll be engine removal time

Not struck on the two engine hooks being offset. Would have liked symmetry for the load leveller...but it doesn't seem to cause anyone else issues

Comment

• Do you know the history of the engine? If it was a car only used for short runs or in the city it will be a bit coked up. From what I understand this can affect compression. Had a look on lextreme and they say it shouldn't differ more than about 10psi. They don't say if that's between banks or not. I think for this type of question you would be as well asking the lextreme techies..

Personally I'd throw it in and hope it works but as has been suggested I am RAF..
                        Paul

Surfless, donations welcome.

Comment

Right, a good day.

I cleaned out the garage (sadly that meant taking down my gym...but I have no choice ), built the crane and engine stand.

But I also managed to finally get the compression test done on the one that screams HG on the visual test (the Blue 93) Being able to pop the car into the garage (with its ass hanging out the back) is a major help, now.

So, the results (just did a dry test - forgot the wet):

14.6 bar (212 psi) 8 - 7 15.6 bar (226 psi)
                          14.4 bar (209 psi) 6 - 5 15.1 bar (219 psi)
                          14.4 bar (209 psi) 4 - 3 15.1 bar (219 psi)
                          14.4 bar (209 psi) 2 - 1 15.6 bar (226 psi)

So you can see both sides are pretty much the same to their 4 cylinders...but the left bank is clearly down on the right. But only slightly.

The difference (bearing in mind the dial isn't exact it increments) doesn't seem to be huge. The difference in cylinders on a single bank is nothing. But the difference between the left and right seems to be only about 8% difference.

Am I right in thinking 8% bewteen sides isn't something to worry about?

In my ignorance it seems to be a pretty solid result.

It'll be fine.
                          The left bank (1.3.5.7) cylinderheads/valve covers ( VVTi and non VVTi) are always more gunked up than the right due to the EGR crap. See Lexurf II build thread)
                          Renew or thoroughly clean out the PCV valve when you strip the engine down, and degunk and clean the valve covers, throttle bodies and intake manifolds before reassembly.

Comment

• Cheers both

It seems to fall within all the tolerances I can find.

Vince, when you say left do you mean passenger side? I've labelled it looking towards the car. So my left is 2-4-6-8. The lower readings of the two.

Great info on the egr, thanks

Anywho, this one isn't going in the truck (92 for that) but it's great to find it's not likely the hg and I could sell it after a clean up and learn

Comment

• Left/right is always from the driver's seat.

Sorry, should have added a FYI for the second part of my previous post.

Comment

• It's funny...because I was going to mention the PCV valve. On this one it looks really messy. The other (92) is clean as a whistle.

D'aym you know stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X