yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amen to that!

I've even seen modern houses with garages that you couldn't fit any car in

Comment

Originally posted by Sylux View Post
      Amen to that!

I've even seen modern houses with garages that you couldn't fit any car in
      I lucked out a bit then....just room for a car and a bench...and a fridge

Garages are specked around the size of an Austin 7 apparently...

Vince posted a link to an engine crane recently for good money...
      I think this was it:
      http://www.sgs-engineering.com/ec200...FbIPtAodWj0A0Q
      Last edited by andyverran; 8 November 2013, 23:59.

Comment

Ha! I was hoping to get the Surf in the garage for when I'm refurbing the engine bay a chassis.

Just measured up...garage is 16' x 9'. Surf is 15' x 7' So it'll just fit in...but there'll be no room for me, the removed engine or anything else!

I was planning on removing the engines with the cars just poking their noses in the garage...so that's no bother. Would work really well. But what a shame I can't have her in there for her make-over.

Looks like I'll have to poke her nose in while refurbing, then poke her backside in there, too. Oh, err!

Who the #### thought this was a good sized garage to build!
        Oh yeah, you need quite a bit of room for a good poke around!

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post

Vince posted a link to an engine crane recently for good money...
          I think this was it:
          http://www.sgs-engineering.com/ec200...FbIPtAodWj0A0Q
          Read back, mate...I link to that exact one

Comment

Read back, mate...I link to that exact one
            Oops

Comment

Just realised I hid it in linked dialogue! Easy to miss.

I also want their engine stand and that tool chest.

Comment

Just realised I hid it in linked dialogue! Easy to miss.

I also want their engine stand and that tool chest.
                Without me actually looking at the tool chest..

I'd say if you ever want to move it on your own think about getting several sets of draws and stacking them, easier to lift.
                I made my own trolley with some angle and 4 shopping trolley wheels, going strong 23 years later

Comment

Good point

But it will likely live where it's put...forever!

Comment

A couple of questions as I plan, while waiting for the cash to buy a hoist etc.

1: I've read zem_41's thread and noted the blanking off of the EGR. What about the other ends of the pipes? Presumably they blank off too?

2: I'll know more when I get to it...but can the EGR unit be removed or is it integral to other parts?

3: Also...a newbie question...do you use the bolts from the bell-housing to secure the engine in the engine stand, or do I need to purchase some HT ones especially for the job?

Got my answer to this. Grade 8+ all the way

4: I'm going to have to try and remove the drive shaft this weekend (if my torque wrench arrives) as I've sold it. But can I remove the engine without the gearbox or are the top bolts just too difficult to get to?

5: I don't see an expansion tank on any of the conversions. Is it simply not needed?

BW answered this one. It's there on latter conversions

Many thanks.
                    Last edited by Sylux; 16 November 2013, 20:17.

Comment

6: Both my LS400s come with the keys with buttons (only the blue LS400 remote works - and it's unlikely to be the donor). Will I need to keep the ignition barrel key reader and transponder? And if so...will I be using the LS400's keys from here on in?

Edit: I've dug deeper on this and it seems there's different info. But it seems only the later engines had immobilisers fitted. If the key reader and transponder are there (when I remove everything) I'll deal with it. But I may be trying to find out info that isn't needed. Also...the blank, spare key starts the blue 93 LS400 and that doesn't have any electronics in it at all. So I'm safe to presume that one is fine and I will just hook it up to the Surf's ignition without issues. Unfortunately I don't have a blank key for the 92 white one which will be the donor. But its key doesn't work electronically anyway...it's broken. But it starts the car Could be nothing to worry about.

7: What do you guys replace the fan pulley with?

Edit: Seems some use a 2uzfe idler pulley and some take the guts out of the fan pump and use it like that (although seems I don't have a pump ). So just remove fan and bolt it up neatly.
                      Last edited by Sylux; 16 November 2013, 20:16.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sylux;807876]

5: I don't see an expansion tank on any of the conversions?

Have another look.

Comment

Ah, I can see it now on GBV8's and 666's Not on any of the others. Are they hidden or just not reinstalled in those ones, yet (pics)?

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64519
                          Last edited by Sylux; 16 November 2013, 11:14.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot what I did on the early ones.
                            From 5 onwards they all have the Surf's expansipn tank.

Comment

That's one of those daft questions that I needed to know. I've got loads of those

Comment

I use MKIII supra head bolts on the engine stand, I've used the same ones many times over now!
                                More Lift.
                                More Tyres.
                                More Engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X