1uzfe into 2.4TD surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
    I am possibly wrong but I think the V6 petrol 4Runner handbrake cable is a different shape coming out the bulkhead and does not foul the engine allowing the stock fitting of the handbrake in the bulkhead.
    I think someone was breaking a V6 4Runner on here a while back so may have the parts you need.
    You are correct Rick. I think it was PDR.

One more thing Danny, I kept the Lexus air-con pump on the engine but I removed all the guts from it (Excess weight) as I didn't want air-con (I live in the wettest part of the UK ferChrissakes!) this enabled me to use the stock serpentine belt and saves trying to measuring and sourcing a shorter one.

Comment

Vagrant No2 you are correct pic of the hand brake attached. a aussie chap put this pic on lextreme. i think you can move the hand brake but getting a V6 one would be easier

Bushwhacker good thinking of that front! was thinking along those lines about just keeping the air con pump atahced as to use the same stock belt wouldnt know know what to use otherwise !
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dannyboy77; 29 September 2009, 09:37.
      http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

been off for a weeks holiday last week to spain saw a couple of RHD surfs i assume english but with spanish plates on and few extreme off road cars, when we went walking i could see why it is off road heaven there!

anyway back to business had to put a 2" body lift to fit V8 in so managed to get that in last night in a few hours as the engine, gearbox, radiator are out already the job was made a lot eaiser and didnt do a write up as still need to do the alterations to them when fit them back full write up is on the following link

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/bodylift.htm

but though would take a few pics to add to the file

here are the positions of the 10 body mounts

1 is right at the front of the surf, 2 is at the front of the front door, 3 is back of the front door, 4 is at the back of the back door and 5 is right by the tail gate

you do have to take the front seats out to the get to 2&3

to lift the body up you can use a have to jack the body up ?!? at last we can use our farmer jacks!

its best to do one side then the other you can see the difference

pic of front mount close up!

as you can see the bumper is on the chassis and the body has been lifted hence the gap between the bumper and grill, you cna make brackets etc but i think i will leave it to get extra air flow to rad! plus with lower trim back on wont look too bad!

remeber another 400kg needs to be added to the front of my truck front shouldnt look that high!

P.S. thanks BUSHWHACKER for putting in touch with summit racing just got the oil filter reloc kit

Comment

sorry no pictures this week start of the measuring up and fabrication stage so will have some pics of the finished product and maybe a few dims etc hopefully in a few weeks!

looking at fabbing a new cross member piece that holds the TC up. the 2" body lift to give more room around the sump and the steering damper but with the TC going back in to original position the TC & GB are now angling up into the engine bay so to make them horizontal again got to shallow the angle of the cross member

this could also give me change to increase the protection to the TC rather than the pathetic bash guard that is there at the moment

may have to fab a new sump also to clear the steering damper

got to reduce the length the both exhuast manifolds come away from the engine block as they are very close to the upper arms and torsion bars

and finally measure up the new mounts for the engine

Bushwhacker what fabbing did you have to do for the your conversion?
          Last edited by dannyboy77; 6 October 2009, 09:46.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
            sorry no pictures this week start of the measuring up and fabrication stage so will have some pics of the finished product and maybe a few dims etc hopefully in a few weeks!

looking at fabbing a new cross member piece that holds the TC up. the 2" body lift to give more room around the sump and the steering damper but with the TC going back in to original position the TC & GB are now angling up into the engine bay so to make them horizontal again got to shallow the angle of the cross member

this could also give me change to increase the protection to the TC rather than the pathetic bash guard that is there at the moment

got to reduce the length the both exhuast manifolds come away from the engine block as they are very close to the upper arms and torsion bars

and finally measure up the new mounts for the engine

Bushwhacker what fabbing did you have to do for the your conversion?
            I use the Surf's T/C mount but extended it to keep the transmission/transfercase tucked up into the tunnel.

I haven't made a gaurd for the T/C yet though.

I used the standard LS400 manifolds/flanges, they clear my T/bars OK.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply! that does seem easier than making a new cross member piece think will go with that!

was having trouble getting th eengine in last night the steering was in the way and the T/B also but it did need to go back a fe inches so might be OK when in position. think will take off the exhaust manifold when fitting engine then refit when in position should be OK then.

did you fab a sump or can you use a soarer sump??

Comment

OK, here's what I did.........
                I installed the complete assembly, V-8/transmission/transfercase into the Surf, used various blocks of wood and a couple of trolley jacks to hold it all in the exact position I was happy with...(sump/relay rod/manifold flanges/radiator/steering shaft clearances/ front and rear driveshaft lengths/ gearshift position) then made cardboard templates for all the mounts.

I did have clearance issues re. the steering shaft, so I removed the plastic joint protector and ground off the studs that held the manifold heat shields on. (I'll photograph it later so you can see what I mean)

I used the LS400 sump and have no clearance problems.

Leave the manifolds on like I did, saves messing about and you can see straight away where and if they are going to foul on anything.

The main reason for lifting the trans/ t/case was to keep the sump/engine as level as posible. it does still tilt back very slightly, but you'd need a spirit level to see it.

p.s. I have the V-8 in and out about five or six times before it finally stayed there!

HTH.
                Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 6 October 2009, 15:21.

Comment

thanks for the advice, it was the first real attempt at getting it all in and fitting last night and as a result found a few problems but as you said it will need a couple of attempts to get it right so will get back on it!

Comment

Bushwackher are you interested in doing this conversion to any other surfs if we could find a sorer to use the engine out of??

Comment

Coming along Danny, good luck mate.
                      I hope you have V8 music soon.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                        Coming along Danny, good luck mate.
                        I hope you have V8 music soon.
                        thanks for the yoshie! i hope so! it was too quite in the lexus but it will sound a lot louder in the surf!

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                          Bushwackher are you interested in doing this conversion to any other surfs if we could find a sorer to use the engine out of??
                          I'd love to do another conversion.
                          A complete, 1990-1994 LS400 would be better as they have the front engine sump that clears the front diff in the Surf better, and the exhaust manifolds are tucked into the block a bit tighter than the Soarer, which helps a lot. Also, LS400's are cheaper and easier to find.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                            A complete, 1990-1994 LS400 would be better as they have the front engine sump that clears the front diff in the Surf better, and the exhaust manifolds are tucked into the block a bit tighter than the Soarer, which helps a lot. Also, LS400's are cheaper and easier to find.
                            even though a nightmere at the mo it is good fun should know what doing the second time around!yeah when finished could help and spend a weekend or 2 giving a hand!

have to save the price of LS400 have shot up i picked mine up for £300 on ebay and even on auto trader they were £500 now nothing under £995 for the same thing?????

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                              thanks for the yoshie! i hope so! it was too quite in the lexus but it will sound a lot louder in the surf!
                              We can see you when it's all done -
                              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                                right im off to find a LS400!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X