No announcement yet.

1uzfe into 2.4TD surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 2 little pipes on the bottom of the rad are the atf pipes.If you only lost a little oil you'll probably be ok.
    To refill you will need to fill via the dipstick( the orange one below the fuel filter)Check levels by having the engine running,foot on the brake and work through the gears once engine is up to tempOnce worked through all the gears for a min then check the level
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      the 2 little pipes on the bottom of the rad are the atf pipes.If you only lost a little oil you'll probably be ok.
      To refill you will need to fill via the dipstick( the orange one below the fuel filter)Check levels by having the engine running,foot on the brake and work through the gears once engine is up to tempOnce worked through all the gears for a min then check the level
      Ahh thanks rich!
      Born a free spirit

Comment

split the gearbox and the engine as have to modify the output shaft on the gearbox so it will fit the surf transfer case

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

the speed sensor for the lexus has to be drilled in to the surf transfer case as the output shaft has to be cut so it will fit the surf transfer case. its measured by the 3 pronge

[/IMG]

next stage is to do this to the surf will remove the transfer case and gear box split it from the engine as to get the length of the output shaft of the gear box so can accurately cut the lexus output shaft the same length.

pics to follow of disectiong surf!
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

just a quick up date now for the horrible bit pulling the surf apart couple of pics of disconnecting the engine from the surf, power steering, rad & heating, fuel lines, throttle inkage etc look a bit bear now! the only down side to a well built engine is nothing needs to get renewed so trying to unscrew bolts which are 17 years old took at lot longer than usual! plus lots of bala mud covering it!

brains of the car can easily thread through the leads through the firewall so take them out with the engine no cutting!

Comment

just a quick update got the gear box and transfer case out what a b1tch getting the bell housing over the front diff flange and the 2/4WD gear lever out at the same time plus the many hidden wires but managed it in the end. as you can see auto gear linkage hanging down and auto trans wires

to split the auto trans and flywheel you need to seperate them and that is thorugh a hole covered by a plastic cover. ther are 6 bolts and you have to turn the crankshaft using a 19mm socket to locate the 6 bolts

as you can see you cant fit the surf bell housing and auto trans to the lexus engine as the start motor positions are in different locations. you do need the lexus engine, bell housing, torque converter and auto box it will make the swap so much easier plus the surf ECU doesnt work with the lexus auto trans

for people who want to know where the breather locations are for the tranfer case and auto trans here is a pic

dash is now off to take out the surf loom and fit the lexus loom and lexus speedo

engine out next week and fit the lexus well measure up to fab mounts. will keep you posted
            Last edited by dannyboy77; 11 September 2009, 08:59.

Comment

V8 swop

Hi Dan job looks a good one to do wish i had the time to have a go myself, keep up with the info and pic,s.

Regards Hilux Bob
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by Hilux View Post
                Hi Dan job looks a good one to do wish i had the time to have a go myself, keep up with the info and pic,s.

Regards Hilux Bob
                will do

engine should be out tuesday then can start putting things back in! well bit of cutting and fabrication

when done and have time will try and do a proper write up with all the pics as only putting the best ones up at the mo???

Comment

no way back now! 2.4 diesel engine out. came out easy

engine bay look a little bare think will give it a power wash and clean!

couple of pics of fitting the lexus V8 in. i know it doesnt fit straight in but had to put it in to see what it looked like!

here are the reasons why wont fit straight in

hand brake gets in the way. needs to be moved so engine can fit back tight to the firewall

picture from underneath. can see the sump catches on the streering damper so have to fab one up. will also need to move the oil strainer in the sump too.
                  can see the mounts for the surf and mounts for the lexus need to fab a bracket up but its pretty easy to do.
                  exhausts will need to fabbed too to make the cats fit

now for fitting the transfer case to the lexus auto

can see the bolt config is of the ends of both GB housing is the same so the TC adaptor fits striaght onto the end of lexus GB
                  need to cut the output shaft though so will fit

next will be to drill a bigger hole through the TC adaptor for the lexus speed sensor to fit and to relocated hand brake
                  Last edited by dannyboy77; 16 September 2009, 11:37.

Comment

Excellent!
                    While the V-8 is out, make up a couple of blanking plates and remove that troublsome EGR pipe. They always split and they're not needed in the UK anyway. I removed all the other EGR stuff and no engine check light came on, which is a bonus, otherwise a resistor is needed to 'fool' the ECU.

Don't forget to mount the transfer case to the transmission carefully so the oil seal isn't damaged. Don't try and fit the transfer case when the transmission is already fitted to the truck, it needs to be carefully lowered onto the transmission from above.

......and definitely scrub that engine bay to show off your install.

p.s. I see you've opted to use the same precision method as me to shorten the output shaft!

Comment

will do on the exhaust gas pipe. does the hand brake still need to be moved if that pipe is removed?

saw all the seals on the TC etc yeah was going to fit the TC and GB together on the ground then install as one unit under the truck. did you drill a bigger hole for the lexus speed sensor or use the surf one? from write ups think drilling bigger hole and using the lexus one is favourite.

yeah used the aussie methos of shortening the output shaft. i spoke to a guy who spend 3 months swapping the shaft from the surf to the lexus box

now the fun begins fitting it all back together!

oh two things did you put a body lift on and did you have room to fit the fan back on or have you put a mechanical fan on either side of the rad?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                        will do on the exhaust gas pipe. does the hand brake still need to be moved if that pipe is removed?
                        Yes.
                        saw all the seals on the TC etc yeah was going to fit the TC and GB together on the ground then install as one unit under the truck. did you drill a bigger hole for the lexus speed sensor or use the surf one? from write ups think drilling bigger hole and using the lexus one is favourite.
                        Yep, I drilled the hole bigger and used the Lexus sensor.
                        yeah used the aussie methos of shortening the output shaft. i spoke to a guy who spend 3 months swapping the shaft from the surf to the lexus box

now the fun begins fitting it all back together!

oh two things did you put a body lift on and did you have room to fit the fan back on or have you put a mechanical fan on either side of the rad?
                        Yep, a 2" bodylift is necessary really to get the engine back far enough to get the rad in.
                        I'm using a 16" electric fan mounted behind the grille as a 'pusher' fan wired through an adjustable thermostat set at 90 degrees.

You can see my fan here...
                        http://www.uzswap.com/forum/index.php?topic=159.0

Comment

thank for the info BUSHWHACKER will get onthe case for the 2" body lift while the engine & GB not in or connected should be pretty easy to do just sort out the steering bits!

Oh one more thing the oil filter will be OK when put body lift on get the engine enough up and back for the clearenace between the filter and the chassis?

Comment

I re-used one of the Surf's power steering hoses (return hose) and had a new pressure hose made up at a hydraulic spares shop (£20.) as both the Lexus and Surf hose was too short.

Re: the oil filter, it is possible to use the stock filter location, but you'll need a much shorter filter to prevent it touching the chassis.
                            If you look at the link I posted above, I show the oil filter relocation kit I used.
                            I removed the stock Lexus oil cooler and linked the coolant hoses, then fitted the new oil filter adapter to the engine block the ran the hoses up into the engine compartment to the new filter head. This enabled me to use a much bigger filter than stock and coupled with the two foot long flow and return hoses, it keeps the oil as cool as it would have been with the stock cooler.
                            You can see the oil filter here and the fan's adjustable thermostatic switch near it.

p.s ignor the yellow circle, that was for a numpty who couldn't find the VIN plate..
                            Attached Files

Comment

thanks for the advice on the oil filter kit ordered it from the link you posted on uzswap P+P was more than the item but still cheaper than buying it from the UK

got HD polyethelyene for the body lift so should manage that next week!

the wiring i think will be teh biggest headache! one of many questions did you use the surf indicators or the lexus? im not sure how much lexus / surf loom to use / get rid of? have all the wiring diagrams just getting my head around it!

Comment

I am possibly wrong but I think the V6 petrol 4Runner handbrake cable is a different shape coming out the bulkhead and does not foul the engine allowing the stock fitting of the handbrake in the bulkhead.
                                I think someone was breaking a V6 4Runner on here a while back so may have the parts you need.
                                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
                                X