No announcement yet.

ECU repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a spare for a 2.4 but unfortunately not a 3ltr!!
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help and advice. The link Bushwhacker posted has started to make sense. I disconnected all three plugs to the ECU and started to recheck voltage to the plugs. The battery is sending power to the plug. I am getting about 12.5 volts. But when I switch ignition on I am unable to locate voltage in the relevant pins. So I am going back out to double check my findings and replace the 20 amp fuse in case it is faulty. If I can establish I have the correct power to the ECU I will happier sending the ECU off for repair. I will keep you posted on my findings.

Comment

Just checked the ECU IG fuse and that is OK. I am getting power to A1 which is from the battery. I am not getting power to A13,A2 C1 which should register with the ignition on (my interpretation of the link from Bushwhacker).
        I think I will get an auto electrician out who understands wiring diagrams.
        Thanks for your help, much appreciated

Comment

With the ECU connected, switch on ignition and check you have 12v at the +B terminal in the diagnostics box in the engine bay.

Comment

Yes, just checked, I have 12 volts there, what does that indicate?
            Had to clean of grease from the diagnostic box, I don't think it had been plugged into before!

Comment

If you have voltage there, and voltage going to the ECU, then I would say that the ECU is fine.

Does the truck have an immobiliser fitted?
              Strange that it was fine one day and not the next. I have a working 3.0 ECU here that I could lend you to try, but I must have it back ASAP otherwise I'll have a dead truck on my drive.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                If you have voltage there, and voltage going to the ECU, then I would say that the ECU is fine.

Does the truck have an immobiliser fitted?
                Strange that it was fine one day and not the next. I have a working 3.0 ECU here that I could lend you to try, but I must have it back ASAP otherwise I'll have a dead truck on my drive.
                Hi Bushwhacker, It has no immobiliser, and it is strange, I drove it to work Friday morning and the fault was there when I tried to leave. I must admit I am not too observant in the mornings, but did not notice anything different on the truck.
                Your offer is extremely generous, but I would worry about a courier damaging / losing it during transit. But I do appreciate your kind offer. I think I will send the ECU off to the ECU doctor which will cost £35.00 to confirm a fault or not. But that is recoverable if it needs repair.
                I will keep you posted on the outcome.
                Many Thanks to you all.
                Dave

Comment

The ECU doctor phoned me a couple of day's ago to inform me that they had tested my ECU and found the pre-heat circuit was faulty. The repair would cost £160.0 + Vat. So I duly gave the go ahead and paid the bill over the phone. The ECU arrived back today, so with trepidation I bolted it back in place and plugged in the 3 connectors.
                  I turned the key and the glow plug and check light came on
                  Cranked the engine and ..........

and

It Started !!

Thanks to you all for your input and recommendations, much appreciated
                  Back in the truck tomorrow

Comment

Top Banana Mate!!

He's a good bloke that ECU Doctor!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                    X