Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Surf struggling to start.

Hi Everybody

Its my first post so please bear with me.

I bought my Surf 3 months ago and have been having starting issues cold and warm. Cranking more than 20 seconds when cold, 10 when warm.

While swinging sometimes it gradually splutters to live , sometimes it start immediately after the swinging. As if it slowly gets fuel and the other as if it gets fuel immediately.

I have thus far changed and repaired the following:
    Glow plugs
    Fuel filter
    Oil filter + Oil
    Timing belt + alternator belts
    Fixed the fuel leak at the speed sensor on the fuel pump
    Drilled a hole in the Fuel cap
    Battery 3 months old

I have noticed a small hiss sound from the primer and if I pump it till its hard it does not stay hard for more than 10-20 seconds.

When the engine does eventually start the primer goes soft almost immediately. I have also attached a picture of the fuel line leading to the primer pump as i don't think all these connectors are right.

Another issue I noticed is that sometimes if you turn the steering to full lock the idle drops and if you press the accelerator she cuts out. Any ideas???

My questions...

Replace Primer
    Replace fuel line

I really love my surf and hope to have plenty of adventures with her.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cyberlux; 4 February 2013, 21:47.

That looks like a one way valve, you shouldn't get a hiss, find the hiss and fix it. If you have the original yota clips on thr hoses change them for good jubilee clips, check the filter is tight and check the o ring on the drain tap on the bottom of the filter.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

The hiss sounds like it is coming from the black button on the primer.
      I read on the forum that this is a sealed unit.

Comment

That valve don't look original maybe the last owner fitted it to try and fix the same problem. Maybe cos its losing the fuel pressure always good to check all your lines incase your dragging in air. Does it start better when you prime the pump ?

Comment

No it does not. Still need 20 odd seconds of swinging or if the battery doesn't die first.

I did try tonight with the missus help(who was not impressed with sticking her hand in a engine bay.) to pump the primer while swinging the engine which did seem a bit easier, but it was directly after a drive, so not a real test. Will try again in a couple of hours when the engine cooled down.

I ordered a 2nd hand primer from 4x4parts, so i am going to try that.

Does the fuel supply line run all the way back to the tank?
          Would like to have it as it should be.

Comment

Yes it does run to the tank, leave that valve there, it's not the issue. Get the primer sorted first.

Comment

Well i have swopped the primer. Still struggling.

Read on here aswell that it could be the SCV. But not getting any faults from the ECU.

Anybody in london who does not mind spending 20 minutes trying to help me figure this out? Otherwise its off to the mechanic.

Comment

Have you checked that all the injectors are getting good fuel supply?

Comment

Yes i have.

When she runs, she purrs like a kitten.
                  No black or white smoke.

Just swings as if it is sucking the fuel all the way from the tank.

If you turn off the engine it start again, it is almost by the turn of the key.
                  The longer you leave it the longer it takes to start.

P.s. thanks for your replies Muddle. At least some one is trying to help.

Tonyn.... Fancy a couple of bucks just to have a look?
                  Last edited by Cyberlux; 10 February 2013, 12:30.

Comment

sounds like the the filament in the primer has had it.I reacon a decent replacement fuel primer/filter housing will help.
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I have replaced the Primer with one from Jap4x4parts.

Is it worth bypassing the fuel filter just as a test?

Is there anything at the tank side that may cause issues?
                      It looks as if some work was done by the tank. They didn't bother dropping the tank, they cut a massive hole in the body and covered it up with a piece of white metal sheeting.

Comment

there is a breather on top of the tank which may well be blocked.

Comment

No pressure in tank as i drilled a small hole in the fuel cap.

Comment

try bypassing the fuel filter and see what happens then but it does sound like its sucking air back in somewhere

Comment

Well...

When i pulled the fuel line to the fuel pump there was loads of diesel squirting out.
                              So there is pressure.

mmmm..... Duff battery? Faulty fuel pump?

Comment

Working...
                              X