No announcement yet.

Another Surf struggling to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i ordered two batteries from roughtrax.

Going see if a dual battery setup makes a difference...

If not, it will be nice to have dual batteries anyway...

If this fails, Tony has a new client.

Comment

New batteries are in and guess what... Not starting at all, even if jumped off another vehicle.

Spoke to Tony and he mentioned testing the Spill Control Valve. I should be getting between 3-5v, but only getting 1.9v if I disconnect the SCV and test straight from the connector going to the ECU.

Going to test the ECU and SCV relay tomorrow. Hope it is not the ECU.

Quick question. If the manual says that the resistance of the SCV should be 1-2 ohm at 20c, what will it be at 3c. Higher or Lower?

Comment

My Surf has developed the same starting problem, I have to turn the engine over for about 10 seconds before it splutters into life. Once it fires up its very lumpy for about 5 secs and during this time I can pump the throttle or floor it and get no response for the engine and then it will gradually come back to normal running. The Idle has dropped to 500rpm.

I first checked the power to the glow plugs and this appears ok, I don’t think it’s the plugs themselves as the starting doesn’t appear to be affected by the temperature. We’ve had -4 to +7 since this started and its always the same, plus it occurs when the engine is warm. Also if the engine is healthy good starter speed and decent compression should fire it up no bother.

I replaced the fuel filter at the weekend as I had a spare, I was very surprised to find there was no fuel in the fuel lines when I took them off the filter unit. I checked the engine bay for leakage but can’t see anything. I’ll have to check under the car when its dry.... might have to wait until June for that. I was thinking of fitting an NRV and better hose clips but I see that has been done on the OP’s vehicle.

I should probably add, my truck used to start instantly and idle at 800rpm, so there is defo something up with it! I'm convinced the fuel system is the culprit!
        Last edited by cabbage; 13 February 2013, 10:01.

Comment

Well...

I fixed it... I hope!

Been reading about people with 1KZTE engines where there were blown capacitors in the ECU.

So tonight u pulled out the ECU and opened it up. Could not see any issues. Bent a few capacitors and resistors straight. So i put it back in and thought i might as well try and start it.

Bhaaaam.... Didnt even turn the key and she sprung to life. Tried it a couple of times and started straight away everytime.

Whoohoo.... Will monitor for a couple of days.

Comment

nice one and hope it keeps going
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberlux View Post
              Well...

I fixed it... I hope!
              I'll have a look at that then!! thanks for the info!!

Comment

I finally got some time to check out my starting problems this weekend. I found that if I used the priming pump that diesel was leaking from around the press fit top piece. I've sealed around the unit with some gasket paste to see if that makes a difference. I've also removed the plunger and made a highly sophisticated seal for the top incase it’s the diaphragm that is leaking.

If that’s failed, and it looks like it has I dig out the ecu for a check.

Annoyingly today I managed to start my 43 year old tractor for the first time in a month in less time than the surf takes to fire up just now.....

Comment

Originally posted by cabbage View Post
                  I found that if I used the priming pump that diesel was leaking from around the press fit top piece. I've sealed around the unit with some gasket paste to see if that makes a difference. I've also removed the plunger and made a highly sophisticated seal for the top incase it’s the diaphragm that is leaking.

If that’s failed, and it looks like it has I dig out the ecu for a check.
                  It's more likely that your bodge didn't work and that the primer is still letting air into the sytem.. If I was you I'd get a new primer from a breaker before messing about with the ecu...

Comment

I thought that the diaphragm type pumps would need to be open to atmosphere on the outer of the diaphragm for them to work. If you seal the outer then you do not allow air to enter when pressed and as a result, may damage the diaphragm even more. If fuel comes out of it, then surely there must be a hole in the diaphragm.

Nev.

Comment

When you pull the fuel hose leading to the fuel pump from the filter housing side is there any fuel pressure. ie. small amount of fuel squirting out?

I now have a spare primer if you want it.

Comment

Also... does the primer go hard when you pump it.

Comment

When pumping with the priming pump I never found it went hard but that’s because the fuel leaks out all around it so its never going to manage to pressurise up the system. The was no fuel in either the inlet or outlet hoses when I removed them and I can see no external leaks.

The idea was to try and determine if the fuel filter and primer pump was the culprit, not a permanent bodge. The open side of the diaphragm isn’t permanently sealed, it was just an experiment (involving some lube a balloon and a tie wrap)

I'll pm regards the priming pump, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cyberlux View Post
                            Also... does the primer go hard when you pump it.
                            Pump received yesterday, Thanks! Installed it today and found that there's a hole in the fuel pipe running from the tank, as my pump was clearly goosed it never pumped a thing but the replacement can be heard sooking air in under the car.

Sealing up the old pump did help the poor idle a little, it went from 500rpm to 700rpm so it must have been letting in air as well.

Thanks All!

Comment

Replaced the priming pump, fuel supply and return lines from the tank (and the rear brake line as it was just as rusty) and my starting woes are gone! Just got new pads and shoes to fit and a reversing light and she's good for the next MOT.

Comment

Glad it's sorted. Nothing worse than getting to the truck and she struggles to fire up. Especially when the misses sits next to you and asks you why you spend their money on a broken truck. My case anyways....

Comment

Working...
                                X