X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... Dead engine 3ltr KZ130 1995

Hi Guy's.
    I need to pick your brains.

I have had probs with veggie feed and on Friday diesel feed (twin tank system) also.
    So today I stripped out both filters the veggie one was OK but the diesel one was deffo clogged.
    Changed both and then found out that the veggie problem was the pump not picking up.
    Decided to take it for a run to slosh the veggie about and hope it picked up. The engine had been ticking over on diesel for about 20mins whilst trying to sort the veggie out.

Reversed out of the drive and was putting my belt on when the engine revs shot up to screaming, switching off did not stop the engine at first but it did stop eventually. Lots of black smoke.
    I started it again with the same results top revs and not stopping.
    Eventually it stopped.
    But now it wont start at all. plenty of fuel to the injector pump, I did unscrew the No1 injector pipe and try to start it but there was only a slight trickle of fuel coming out.
    Managed to flatten both batteries trying to start it.

Any idea's guy's I am confused as to why the rev's should shoot up with no foot on the gas.
    Regards John

Originally posted by johnsiddle View Post
    Hi Guy's.
    I need to pick your brains.

I have had probs with veggie feed and on Friday diesel feed (twin tank system) also.
    So today I stripped out both filters the veggie one was OK but the diesel one was deffo clogged.
    Changed both and then found out that the veggie problem was the pump not picking up.
    Decided to take it for a run to slosh the veggie about and hope it picked up. The engine had been ticking over on diesel for about 20mins whilst trying to sort the veggie out.

Reversed out of the drive and was putting my belt on when the engine revs shot up to screaming, switching off did not stop the engine at first but it did stop eventually. Lots of black smoke.
    Eventually it stopped.
    But now it wont start at all. plenty of fuel to the injector pump, I did unscrew the No1 injector pipe and try to start it but there was only a slight trickle of fuel coming out.
    Managed to flatten both batteries trying to start it.

Any idea's guy's I am confused as to why the rev's should shoot up with no foot on the gas.
    Regards John
    could it be over fueling? pump timing could be out, not an expert but worth alook. when was the timing belt last changed it could have jumped a couple of teeth. I am sure i am talking complete shite so i will shut up now
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Only had the car about 9 months so I have no idea about the belts but they all look good.

If it has jumped it happened this morning cuz I had been out in it prior to the filter change ( running on the fuel that was collected in my swirl tank ).
      Prior to the sharp raise in revs the tickover was perfect.
      John

Comment

does it do it on veg and derv, or just one of them?
        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Only the derv is working at present.
          It was running fine on derv after replacing the filter, before it was suffering from fuel starvation. The veggie pump is not working at present.

Comment

Although I've never heard of it with Toyota engines, the Isuzu Trooper 3.0 had a problem with leaking injector seals which let diesel into the engine oil, causing a runaway like you describe. Might be talking nonsense, but any chance the veg oil or other additives could damage the seals to make something similar happen?
            Andy
            http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Eventually it stopped.
              Check your engine oil level, sounds like it might have been burning whatever was in the sump

Comment

Obviously there is a possibility of veggie damaging the injector pump seals I had it happen on a 2,4 running veggie but when that happens it spews out onto the engine and then the floor.
                The injector pump is an external unit with no connection to the engine oil.
                All the seals on the pump are bone dry.

I was wondering what would happen if crap got into the injector pump.
                would that cause the runaway and would it stop the engine from being switched off at least to start with.

Comment

How would the engine oil get in, valves, rings etc?

I had no evidence of burning oil until today, no smoke etc...

Comment

What about the Turbo.
                    Anyone that is a possibility for engine oil burning????

Comment

Obviously there is a possibility of veggie damaging the injector pump seals I had it happen on a 2,4 running veggie but when that happens it spews out onto the engine and then the floor.
                      The injector pump is an external unit with no connection to the engine oil.
                      All the seals on the pump are bone dry.
                      Read what he actually wrote. Injectors and the injector pump are two completely different things.

How would the engine oil get in, valves, rings etc?

I had no evidence of burning oil until today, no smoke etc...
                      Check your engine oil level, as suggested. Also check as to whether it seems thicker/stickier than it should.
                      Last edited by MattF; 5 May 2009, 15:22.

Comment

Checked oil today every thing is normal.
                        Level full and black.

There has to have been a large secondary supply of oil into the engine at the time the revs went up.
                        The turbo bearings would have had a high pressure supply is it possible they could have failed and sprayed into the inlet?

I think the first thing tomorrow is to strip off the turbo pipes and see if the inside is coated in oil, if so then its the turbo if not then??? I will take the top off the injector pump.

Comment

You say it runs perfectly fine on normal derv? It is only when you switch across to V.O that the problem occurs?

Comment

No MattF
                            Over the past few weeks it has been running fine on both, then the veggie started to get starved but it still ran OK on Derv. Then last friday it started getting starved on Derv as well.
                            I changed both filters. The Derv one was really full of crap but the veggie was OK.
                            I then found the veggie pump wasnt picking up.

At this point it was ticking over nicely on Derv and had been for 20mins or so whilst I tried to sort the veggie pump

I decided to take it out (on Derv) to try and slosh the veggie about hoping it would pick up and I had just reversed into the road, was putting my belt on when the engine revs shot up out of control, switching off had no affect initially but it did stop after about 5/10 secs.
                            I started it again.... same problem.
                            again it stopped after a little time and now it stays stopped.

I heard a screaming which I put down to the turbo but that may have been due to the high revs.

John
                            Last edited by johnsiddle; 6 May 2009, 13:27.

Comment

Made a little progress.... I think

Started to take the turbo pipes off and noticed the thin cable on the throttle was loose. Then found that the sheath had gone back and jammed it open.
                              I think this cable controls the waste gate on the turbo.
                              It might make sense and explain the screaming I heard.
                              Sorted this and tyrapped the sheath back on but still no starting.

Had a neighbour watch the No1 injector pipe which I removed and turned the engine over, he said fuel was coming out.

Just checked the timing belt ( a lot easier than the 2.4 I used to have, once you get the bottom 3 bolts out) and it seems to be OK assuming the pump mark is on the RH side and the cam mark is on the top.

I think the reason it is not starting is the 'Engine Check' light is on.

I can not remember if it normally is on until the engine starts or off, perhaps someone will check for me.

If it is supposed to be off does anyone know the faults that can cause it to light cuz now I am running out of idea's.
                              John
                              Last edited by johnsiddle; 6 May 2009, 17:20.

Comment

Working...
                              X