4wd newbie silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far too much to go through to check to see if it's already been said but -

Not all 3rd gens have the option to unlock the centre diff. If you DO have the option (in the owner's manual as "Multi-Mode" 4WD), the 4WD symbol will be top middle of the dash (the one with a circle in the middle of the 4 wheels which lights up amber), if you don't you'll have the 4WD symbol in the bottom right of the dash with no circle in the middle which lights up amber (in the owner's manual as "Normal" 4WD).

So it's possible to have a 3rd gen which can only be driven in 4WD when you can guarantee that all 4 wheels can slip (ie. snow). Important to realise this before jumping into any 3rd gen, engaging 4WD on dry tarmac and buggering it all up.

I know this because my 3rd gen was like this (although, luckily, I realised which version of 4WD I had. Thanks to this forum!)
    Last edited by TeaMonsta; 30 April 2013, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
      None of this applies to the 3rd Gen which has a centre diff, so can use 4WD on tarmac
      Common misconception. See my above post.

According to the owner's manual, "Multi-Mode" was an optional extra (an optional extra that 99% of Surfs seem to have, hence the common misconception).
      Last edited by TeaMonsta; 30 April 2013, 20:51.

Comment

Sorry Bonk. Just realised my above posts don't really relate to your question, but more to the content of the thread which was started in 2005. Still, it's worth pointing out anyway, I suppose.

Comment

Hi, just want to get a difinitive answer to what 4wd system i have as i find conflicting info in different places, i have early 3rd gen surf 96 japanese, only have H-N-L4 on transfer case lever with 4wd button on side, when i press button in i get 'green' not amber light in bottom right of dash with no centre circle in the diagram, does that mean i have no centre diff and therefore cannot use 4wd on hard surfaces?

Comment

this is what an ocr and google translate makes of the card on the sun visor, pretty much just says what others have already but doesnt really tell if it has centre diff or not?
            or where it says use rear wheel drive only on paved roads indicate there is no centre diff?
            24 `n Note
            <How to use transfour>
            1- Be sure to use rear wheel drive (H2) when driving on a dry paved road surface.
            2】 2 - 4 When setting the sewing machine to "0N", please go on at 2 'vehicle speed - less than 100 km / h. · If the 4WD operation indicator flashes and the buzzer sounds after switching, lower the speed or stop and switch again. *
            3 · If shifting to rear wheel drive (H2) is performed but 4WD operation indication light lamp does not turn on light, check the surrounding safety and accelerate / decelerate or retreat.
            4 - "H" H "L 4" Shift operation is 2 [For manual transit vehicles,] · Please step on the clutch pedal. · In particular, shift operation of "L 4" etc. "L 4" should be stopped or less than 8 km / h. [In an automobile transmissions vehicle] 'Stop and brakes and put the A / T change lever in the' N 'range and go. '
            5 - This car is a part time 4WD car. Be sure to look at handling harms when towing.
            <About tire change>
            When exchanging evening ear, please attach the same MEMORY 1, SIZE, TONE, TREATS PO BOOKER (for the four wheels, please attach the evening earner of the tortoise and also check the air pressure
            <A / T 0iL T EMP
            If the oil temperature becomes abnormally high <Illuminate when it gets ill <When lighting it stops immediately in a safe place and the A / T change lever is set to "P "Put it in the (parking) range and keep idling state
            <Please see <for details <for handling harm.
            Last edited by vortexwizard; 27 March 2018, 20:15.

Comment

Working...
            X