4wd newbie silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd newbie silly question

hi still not used the 4wd bit paranoid of doing damage as never used a 4wd car before!
    if the small lever is backwards and i press the button on the side the 4wd lights up on the dash what can i do with the car? reason of being paranoid is the high and lows people saying you can do this in high you cant do this in low etc etc etc

would someone mind just giving a brief lesson in english please would be really appreaciated thankyou

ie what to use in wet and snow etc all the best

Vehicle details ????

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
      Vehicle details ????

Nev
      its a 30tdi ltd L reg i think kzn130 automatic

Comment

Originally posted by bootuk
        hi still not used the 4wd bit paranoid of doing damage as never used a 4wd car before!
        if the small lever is backwards and i press the button on the side the 4wd lights up on the dash what can i do with the car? reason of being paranoid is the high and lows people saying you can do this in high you cant do this in low etc etc etc

would someone mind just giving a brief lesson in english please would be really appreaciated thankyou

ie what to use in wet and snow etc all the best
        Hi, I noticed no-one has replied to you so I thought I`d give you my tuppence worth....... I`m new here so we`ll probably find this topic on here already but nevermind, here goes.....

Regarding the lever, it`s position depends on the conditions.

Firstly,
        H2 stands for HIGH range/ratio gearing with 2 wheel drive (the rear wheels)
        H4 stands for HIGH ratio gearing with 4 wheel drive, and
        L4 stands for LOW ratio gearing with 4 wheel drive.

H2: Select this for normal driving on hard dry surfaced roads, this position gives least wear, quietest ride and most importantly greater fuel economy.

H4: Select this position for driving on wet, icy or snow covered roads. This position provides greater traction than two-wheel drive.

L4: Select this for maximum power and traction. Use L4 for climbing or descending steep hills, offroad driving and hard pulling in mud sand or deep snow.

CAUTION:
        The 4-wheel drive modes should not be used on hard/dry surfaces, especially when manouvering or turning sharply, damage could result because there's drive to both axles and the front and rear axles have different turning circles. On hard/dry surfaces like tarmac there's no give on the road surface so you'll end up with windup on the transmission which can destroy it.
        Permanent 4WD vehicles like Range Rovers have a differential in the transfer case to allow it to slip as you turn in circles. The Surf is not intended as a permanent 4WD vehicle.

I hope this helps a little bit!!

You may also like to know how to, or rather when to change the lever`s position.....

If you have auto transmission:-

To shift from H2 to H4, move the front lever with the lock release button depressed. The indicator light may not come on even if you shift into H4 if the vehicle is stopped, starting out the vehicle will turn it on. If the vehilce is moving depress or release the accerator pedal slightly.

To shift from H4 to H2, simply move the front drive contol lever with the lock release button depressed. The vehicle may be moving at any speed. If you shift while conering, you may feel a slight shock, This is not abnormal.

To shift from H4 to L4, reduce your speed to less than 30kph/18mph and move the front drive control lever with the lock release button depressed.

To shift from L4 to H4, simply move the front drive control lever. The vehicle may be moving at any speed.

CAUTION:
        Never move the front wheel lever if the wheels are slipping. Stop the slipping or spinning before shifting.

If you have manual transmission:-

To shift from H2 to H4, reduce your speed to less than 80kmh/50mph and (for UK models) move the front drive control lever or (for other models) press the 4WD button. No need to depress the clutch. If you have trouble shifting in cold weather, reduce your speed or stop the vehicle and reshift. The 4WD indicator light may not come on even if you shift into H4 if the vehicle is stopped, when you start to move the vehicle will turn it on.

To shift from H4 to H2, simply (for UK models) move the front drive contol lever or (for other models) press the 4WD button. The vehicle may be moving at any speed. No need to depress the clutch.

To shift from H4 to L4, stop the vehicle or reduce speed to less than 8kmh/5mph. With your foot off the accelorator pedal, depress the clutch pedal and move the front drive control lever.

To shift from L4 to H4, depress the clutch pedal and move the front drive control lever. The vehicle may be moving at any speed.

CAUTION:
        Never move the front drive lever if the wheels are slipping. Stop the slipping or spinning before shifting.

Any more questions or if you`re still not sure let me know. Good luck
        Last edited by LuckyBstd; 25 November 2005, 06:27. Reason: spwellin misstakes!!
        [font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]
        [img]http://tinypic.com/i1k95k.jpg[/img]

Comment

Sorry LuckyBstd but some of that is wrong. A 1st or 2nd gen automatic Surf needs to be stopped and in P or N to move it from H (4 or 2) to L4 and stopped and in P to move it back from L4 to H (4 or 2). You may need to move slightly forwards or backwards after to get it to fully engage or disengage.

Never use H4 or L4 on tarmac even if wet. It should only be used on snow or ice on tarmac or, if necessary, on tarmac but keeping the wheels straight so as to avoid wind-up.

You can move to or from H2 / H4 on the move at up to 60kph by pressing in the button on the small lever. If done at slow speed or stopped then you will normally need to move back or forward a bit to get everything to line up before the front diff will fully engage.

None of this applies to the 3rd Gen which has a centre diff, so can use 4WD on tarmac, although at the expenses of fuel economy.
          Mike G

Comment

Tallyman, would you mind me taking umbridge at your comment that some of my information was wrong? Indeed there was no mention of gen on my part, but which bit are you saying is wrong exactly? I already warned of the dangers, not just on tarmac roads but any hard surfaced road, but it comes across in your reply, (due to the fact that you re-state the caution about tarmac roads) that I gave out the wrong information about that, although I already gave a clear caution covering this?

I never advised moving from H2 to L4 at ANY speed!!

Also moving from H2 to H4 you appear to have repeated what I said again although you consider the right speed to be 60kph not the 50kph I stated? You didn`t mention whether this applied to UK models or all models?

Would you mind clarifying which bit exactly you believe to be wrong? Just in case there`s any confusion.

Many thanks...... (I`ll get back in my pram now)

P.S are you sure you`re not just used to driving a shed LOL

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=red][b][u]SSR-G SURF `N` REG 95[/u][/b][/color][/font]

Comment

The Handbook for the Surf suggests driving at least 10 miles per month, in 4 wheel drive to keep things working and well lubricated. How do we do this if we can't use H4 on tarmac, even if wet ?

QUOTE=Tallyman]Sorry LuckyBstd but some of that is wrong. A 1st or 2nd gen automatic Surf needs to be stopped and in P or N to move it from H (4 or 2) to L4 and stopped and in P to move it back from L4 to H (4 or 2). You may need to move slightly forwards or backwards after to get it to fully engage or disengage.

Never use H4 or L4 on tarmac even if wet. It should only be used on snow or ice on tarmac or, if necessary, on tarmac but keeping the wheels straight so as to avoid wind-up.

You can move to or from H2 / H4 on the move at up to 60kph by pressing in the button on the small lever. If done at slow speed or stopped then you will normally need to move back or forward a bit to get everything to line up before the front diff will fully engage.

None of this applies to the 3rd Gen which has a centre diff, so can use 4WD on tarmac, although at the expenses of fuel economy.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Good point Dashmore. But I think tearing up the local park in the middle if the night could be a way round it!!

Unless you`re near to a rural area I can`t think of another alternative. Of course a drive out into the countryside once a month wouldn`t be a chore anyway and it`d be a safer and more responsible thing to do.!!

Comment

LuckBstd, sorry but your comments below are wrong!! BootUK has a 2nd Gen vehicle which doesn't have a centre diff. Your original comments below and my response in green (the BEST colour)

"If you have auto transmission:-

To shift from H2 to H4, move the front lever with the lock release button depressed."

No, to move from H2 to H4 you press the large button on the small rear position lever, not the main gear lever. The button on the main lever is the overdrive button.

"The indicator light may not come on even if you shift into H4 if the vehicle is stopped, starting out the vehicle will turn it on. If the vehilce is moving depress or release the accerator pedal slightly.

To shift from H4 to H2, simply move the front drive contol lever with the lock release button depressed".

No, you depress the large button on the small rear lever again. You may need to stop and reverse slightly sometimes for it to disengage.

"The vehicle may be moving at any speed."

No, it will only work below 60kph not at any speed. That suggests you could change at 120kph.

"If you shift while conering, you may feel a slight shock, This is not abnormal.

To shift from H4 to L4, reduce your speed to less than 30kph/18mph and move the front drive control lever with the lock release button depressed.

No, you need to be stopped or doing no more that 2-3mph and you move the small rear lever fully forwards. Most will need to be stopped and in neutral for the small lever to move.

"To shift from L4 to H4, simply move the front drive control lever. The vehicle may be moving at any speed".

No, you need to be stopped and in P as the lever locks in L4 otherwise. I know, I tried it this evening on mine and it would not move until the main drive lever was in P.

CAUTION:
                  Never move the front wheel lever if the wheels are slipping. Stop the slipping or spinning before shifting.
                  Mike G

Comment

I think either you`ve misunderstood what I meant or i didn`t put it clearly enough!! My responses are in burgandy... an even better colour!!

Originally posted by Tallyman
                    LuckBstd, sorry but your comments below are wrong!! BootUK has a 2nd Gen vehicle which doesn't have a centre diff. Your original comments below and my response in green (the BEST colour)

"If you have auto transmission:-

To shift from H2 to H4, move the front lever with the lock release button depressed."

No, to move from H2 to H4 you press the large button on the small rear position lever, not the main gear lever. The button on the main lever is the overdrive button.

I didn`t mean the overdrive button, that`ll be a silly thing to do.

"The indicator light may not come on even if you shift into H4 if the vehicle is stopped, starting out the vehicle will turn it on. If the vehilce is moving depress or release the accerator pedal slightly.

To shift from H4 to H2, simply move the front drive contol lever with the lock release button depressed".

No, you depress the large button on the small rear lever again. You may need to stop and reverse slightly sometimes for it to disengage.

Again, I never meant the overdrive button!! If you read it right it says the FRONT DRIVE CONTROL LEVER. Meaning the lever for the FRONT DRIVE, not the FRONT LEVER!

"The vehicle may be moving at any speed."

No, it will only work below 60kph not at any speed. That suggests you could change at 120kph.

Ok lets not split hairs over what speed I intended to suggest, I think the reader may or may not have guessed that 120kph would be slightly over the top!!.

"If you shift while conering, you may feel a slight shock, This is not abnormal.

[b]No, you need to be stopped or doing no more that 2-3mph and you move the small rear lever fully forwards. Most will need to be stopped and in neutral for the small lever to move.

Like I said b4... it may not apply to your shed .... I mean Surf, but it does to a well oiled mechanically sound one!! And again of course I meant the "FRONT DRIVE" control lever.

"To shift from L4 to H4, simply move the front drive control lever. The vehicle may be moving at any speed".

No, you need to be stopped and in P as the lever locks in L4 otherwise. I know, I tried it this evening on mine and it would not move until the main drive lever was in P.

I`m guessing it depends how often or how well lubricated your gears are? I`d expect it to be somewhat harder to do on an older car. When did you change the gear oil last?

Hence I conclude that I can hold my head up knowing that I gave the correct advice if somewhat hard to understand if you don`t know the difference between a FRONT LEVER and a "FRONT DRIVE" lever.

Hopefully the OP fully understands what to do and at what speed now LOL. If not I`m sure we can go over this all again and come to some agreement to the more finer points eh Tally LOL!!

P.S Tally.... give that running gear a good service and change the oil!! LOL
                    Last edited by LuckyBstd; 29 November 2005, 01:38.

Comment

total head **** for me now lololo

Originally posted by LuckyBstd
                      I think either you`ve misunderstood what I meant or i didn`t put it clearly enough!! My responses are in burgandy... an even better colour!!

[/B]

Hence I conclude that I can hold my head up knowing that I gave the correct advice if somewhat hard to understand if you don`t know the difference between a FRONT LEVER and a "FRONT DRIVE" lever.

Hopefully the OP fully understands what to do and at what speed now LOL. If not I`m sure we can go over this all again and come to some agreement to the more finer points eh Tally LOL!!

P.S Tally.... give that running gear a good service and change the oil!! LOL
                      total head **** for me now lololololo

Comment

right so if the lever is back and im in drive and i press the button onside of mini lever will i be in four wheel drive and im safe to do?

Comment

keep in 2wd unless your wheels are going to slip on mud or snow is the short answer

Comment

Sorry mate about the confusion, but perhaps I should`ve been more clear about which lever I meant!! I just assumed everyone would know I didn`t mean the gear lever and the overdrive button!! I see how it might have got mixed up.

But yeah DaveD is right in his answer. Obviously you`d still like to know more about the `L` position etc but maybe I`d be better to let the next man relay to you anything else you`d like to know LOL, before I confuse anyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyBstd
                              Sorry mate about the confusion, but perhaps I should`ve been more clear about which lever I meant!! I just assumed everyone would know I didn`t mean the gear lever and the overdrive button!! I see how it might have got mixed up.

But yeah DaveD is right in his answer. Obviously you`d still like to know more about the `L` position etc but maybe I`d be better to let the next man relay to you anything else you`d like to know LOL, before I confuse anyone else!
                              if you just press the 4 wheel drive button on a gen 3 surf dose that put it in 4 wheel drive but not engage the centre diff?
                              www.floatingpontoonsolutions.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X