Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to see the doctor Shirley

Comment

Having had loads of Autos (due to my lazy driver wife) you should never drive with the Over Drive off unless you are overtaking or need a sudden burst of speed.

As far as I am aware all it does is drop you a 'gear' for rapid acceleration without using the kick down on the accelerator.

Matt

Comment

Matt..

I was told by a guy who lived in Canada that in these wintry conditions where you drive in the low gears (L1, 2) that the o/d should be off. Now confused

I'm not a lazy wife !...lol I drive auto because I have problems with my knees due to old ski ing injuries..lol

Comment

Re; H4 on tarmac

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
          Sorry LuckyBstd but some of that is wrong. A 1st or 2nd gen automatic Surf needs to be stopped and in P or N to move it from H (4 or 2) to L4 and stopped and in P to move it back from L4 to H (4 or 2). You may need to move slightly forwards or backwards after to get it to fully engage or disengage.

Never use H4 or L4 on tarmac even if wet. It should only be used on snow or ice on tarmac or, if necessary, on tarmac but keeping the wheels straight so as to avoid wind-up.

You can move to or from H2 / H4 on the move at up to 60kph by pressing in the button on the small lever. If done at slow speed or stopped then you will normally need to move back or forward a bit to get everything to line up before the front diff will fully engage.

None of this applies to the 3rd Gen which has a centre diff, so can use 4WD on tarmac, although at the expenses of fuel economy.

Glad you mention that H4 is hopefully not a problem on tarmac as I unintentionally did about 20 miles this am. on the M25 on a KZN185, in H4- (up to about 60mph),cra**ed myself afterwards, thinking "what have I done??"My only excuse is i have been driving a Jeep prior to this and was maybe not in my most-awake mode. Have I done any harm, do you reckon?

Comment

Originally posted by Flarris View Post
            Glad you mention that H4 is hopefully not a problem on tarmac as I unintentionally did about 20 miles this am. on the M25 on a KZN185, in H4- (up to about 60mph),cra**ed myself afterwards, thinking "what have I done??"My only excuse is i have been driving a Jeep prior to this and was maybe not in my most-awake mode. Have I done any harm, do you reckon?

No. As long as the orange light in the middle of the four green lights wasn't on, there's no problem. You can go as fast as you like too.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              No. As long as the orange light in the middle of the four green lights wasn't on, there's no problem. You can go as fast as you like too.
              But don't eat a chicken sarny. H

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                Have only just bought the Gen 3, and not yet aware what the orange light in the middle means, if it does come on??

Comment

Originally posted by funkykebab View Post
                  Having had loads of Autos (due to my lazy driver wife) you should never drive with the Over Drive off unless you are overtaking or need a sudden burst of speed.

As far as I am aware all it does is drop you a 'gear' for rapid acceleration without using the kick down on the accelerator.

Matt
                  Total tosh, it's for driving at speeds where the gearbox would normally hunt up and down between 3rd and 4th or similar, perfect when towing around town too.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

i use the overdrive off when towing up hill and apart from that its on all the time.
                    It don't matter if the overdrive is off when driving around town.It will help to give that extra ooommmpphhh when overtaking but i don't like to switch it off while doing that at speed unless under extreme circumstances
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ok....so...I am sort of right saying that having the o/d off while doing low speeds ie..snow...is correct...I believe it also is more ecconomic for town driving...

Shirl

Comment

Originally posted by shirley53 View Post
                        ok....so...I am sort of right saying that having the o/d off while doing low speeds ie..snow...is correct...I believe it also is more ecconomic for town driving...

Shirl

Yup.
                        You only need overdrive on if you're going to be cruising at about 40mph and above.

Comment

Would anyone mind if I bump this thread? I've searched a bit but it seems to take forever so I'll ask my question here and hope for sensible answers.

Is there a reasonably simple modification that can be made to a 2nd gen surf that will allow you to drive in permanent 4 wheel drive like you can in the 3rd gen?

Failing this, is there a not so simple modification that can be made?

Please no suggestions regarding buying a 3rd gen instead...

I like my 2nd gen.

Comment

You need a differential between the two axles to allow AWD.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL9LmT3fzbQ

Comment

Thanks for the link. That explains how it works and why you need it.

Can you therefore fit the workings (diff ?) from a 3rd gen to the underneath of a 2nd gen and make it work or is this not possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
                                Thanks for the link. That explains how it works and why you need it.

Can you therefore fit the workings (diff ?) from a 3rd gen to the underneath of a 2nd gen and make it work or is this not possible?
                                The front prop output is on the other side so a 3rd gen front axle will be required as well. The rear propshaft will probably need to be shortened too.

Comment

Working...
                                X