No announcement yet.

Engine cut out..Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had the same problem with my 2.4 after being stood up since January due to a dead auto transmission. When mine died it would be running ok then lose power and then go into limp mode (check engine light illuminated) and then eventually stop. You could spin the starter as much as you like but it would not go until I removed the fuel filter inlet pipe and blow down it until I could hear bubbles in the tank, then reconnect and remove the outlet and prime it like this until diesel appeared, after connecting the outlet it would start straight away..... but after say 4 miles it would die again.
    Today I set about cutting the small section under the seat to gain access to the pickup/return pipe and after struggling with the 5 corroded screws was a little disapointed to find the filter fairly clean, but looking more closely inside the filter at the bottom there appeared to be substance that resembled snot
    After rinsing this out and removing the the fuel tank bash plate (5 bolts) drained the tank and saw more of the snot in the bottom of the tank.. I then used one of those plunger like claws and through the opening was able to grab this crud and remove it ..... it was very strange that you could pick it up with the claw but when it was out you could rub it between your fingers and it would just break down.. I then poured some solvent into the the hole where the pick up came out then blew it about with an airline through the top of the tank until it was clean. Finally I cut the intake pipe just before the diesel filter in the engine bay and fitted one of those clear inline filters so I could monitor any future fuel starvation problems.

To summarise engine lose power / check light illuminates / possible stalling /will not restart / fuel primer stuck down / no ecu faults / 2 years ago I ran 25% mix of cooking oil for a month until price went silly and have run it on straight diesel ever since. (could this crud be the remnants of the cooking oil ?) possibly....

I have since done 50 miles with no problems .... fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
    X