Engine cut out..Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine cut out..Help!

Hi all, had a major problem occur this morning, started my surf fine as usual,ran fine, no unusual noise, pulled away from kerb and after a few yards the engine suddenly died.
    Won't restart and doesn't even sound like its turning over right, can hear what i thinks the starter but not much else. Had a load of work done about 6 months ago including new timing belt. Seem to recall the same kind of sound when the belt went on another vehicle of mine years ago. Really hoping this is not the case with my surf as spent nearly a grand on it already this year and will be rather knackered without it.!! Any help at what to look at much appreciated.

2.4 auto btw.

Hi Keith, Did the garage change the tensioner and idler at the same time as the Timing Belt? If they didn't then it's their responsibility to make it right, They should supply you with a car to be used while the truck is in the workshop, while they wait the outcome of the warranty claim. That's if the belt or tensioner has failed as the belt should have a 30,000 mile or two year warranty IIRC. Have you removed anything to have a look? If you have the garage could say you have caused the failure yourself, it's best to contact them and tell them what has happened, get them to come out to the truck and diagnose what is actually wrong, check your receipt for the work they did and see if it says a timing belt kit or just timing belt.
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi, thanks for the info.
      Yeah it says "timing belt kit" and as they charged £150.11 +vat for it i guess that included the tensioner as well.
      Haven't taken anything off it yet so sounds like i need to give them a call and see what they say. Not even done 2000 miles in it since it was done.
      Thanks again, i'll keep let you know if i get any joy.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith24 View Post
        Hi, thanks for the info.
        Yeah it says "timing belt kit" and as they charged £150.11 +vat for it i guess that included the tensioner as well.
        Haven't taken anything off it yet so sounds like i need to give them a call and see what they say. Not even done 2000 miles in it since it was done.
        Thanks again, i'll keep let you know if i get any joy.

Don't ask them that though.

Comment

Hi quick update,
          Called the garage that did the work, very helpful, sent a guy out to my house to see what had happened. Good news,belts not broke as engine is turning over. (whether its slipped or not's another matter). Mechanic that came to look recon's it might be fuel related.
          Batteries are now on charge as flattened by multiple attempts to start yesterday, like i said above engine turns, coughs a bit now but nothing else.
          looks like i'll be checking it myself now so any pointers much appreciated.

Comment

A little easy start or WD40 into the intake and if it starts and runs reasonable (not that it does on either of these) on 4 cylinders then its fuel if it still just coughs then i would think it's elsewhere. keep posting what you find as some on here are very good at distance work!!
            Have a look through the search function as quite a few have had similar problems which just turned out to be filters clogged, or pickup filter clogged in the tank, the other is the small filter in the inj pump itself do a search and you will find more info than i can type mate..

Comment

Would never use any easy start on these things. Could end up with needing a new engine. No filter in the injection pump for the 2.4. Sounds like timing. Crack the injectors one at a time, to check for fuel.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                Would never use any easy start on these things. Could end up with needing a new engine. No filter in the injection pump for the 2.4. Sounds like timing. Crack the injectors one at a time, to check for fuel.

Nev
                Easy start should only be used for checking if fuel is present or not, most people use it because the pre-heat circuit has failed and they want to get it running, personally i use WD40 or similar as it works just as well minus the risk of easy start.
                Last edited by tonupteabag; 5 October 2012, 11:56.

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                  Have a look at this link for the filter. http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...or+pump+filter
                  No filter on the 2.4s.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                    No filter on the 2.4s.

Nev
                    OOPS! Sorry Nev i should have looked at the vehicle details. I was under the imppression they all had the small filter on the pump including the 2.4 as it would make sense as it would prevent crap building in the pump, Oh well Toyota strike again!

Comment

The garage weren't very helpful. They should have checked for fuel delivery if they suspected a fuel problem, seems they have washed their hands of it now that they 'been out to have a look'.

Comment

Yeah, the 3Ltr has one. It's under the fuel temperature sensor which the 2.4s don't have as well.

Nev

Comment

Thanks again for the info guys, i'll have a look and try the couple things you've all suggested and let you know how i get on.
                          The garage was only really interested to see if the belt had broke and as it hadn't off they went..!! Not much help but guess i should be pleased they came out at all.
                          Did try the primer on top of the filter and not sure if its priming ok. Don't seem to get any resistance after a few pumps, sure this wasn't the case when i changed the filter in the summer. As i recall after changing the filter it primed after a few pumps, fired straight up and ran fine ever since. Well till yesterday!
                          Could this indicate a source of the problem.

Cheers guys Keith

Comment

When I changed my fuel pump I had a helluva job getting the fuel through. As I found out, my fuel primer wasn't pumping at all. Best way to check it, is undo the pipe coming out of it (it will have in and out arrows), and start pumping the primer. If the primer is working, crack off each of the injectors in turn to ensure fuel is getting through. If its not pumping, I attached a hose to the 'out' connector on the primer, and sucked it through from the tank. Not particularly tasty, but it did start after that.

Once all that's sorted, you at least know whether or not the engine is getting fuel. If it is, I'd be checking the timing belt hasn't slipped by checking the timing marks.

HTH

Comment

Quick update doesn't prime.
                              Took off outlet pipe from primer pumped like mad tiny bit of flue coming out.
                              Removed inlet pipe blew down it to see if blocked coming from tank, can hear bubbling in tank and very little resistance so i guess the filter isn't blocked.
                              Sucked on inlet pipe to make sure flue getting up to primer.. mouth fall of diesel later.. that doesn't seem to be the problem.
                              Stripped out primer housing and fuel filter took apart as much as i could, all seems clear, filters intact, when i pumped the primer button a few time could sucking noise and seems to have suction.
                              Put it all back together still the same.
                              Went to the garage and got some diesel just in case the gauge was faulty but no difference.
                              Am i right in thinking its the priming pump thats knackered? Should i be checking anything else?
                              Thanks in advance guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X