No announcement yet.

Engine cut out..Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what you've said, the primer sounds knackered since it doesn't pump diesel through, but you can suck it through. As i mentioned, I had a similar issue and mine runs fine with a broken primer. AFAIK they are only used for getting airlocks out of the filter after changing it, or if you run out of fuel. Have you tried checking if fuel is getting to the injectors? When I sucked the fuel through manually, a good few cranks got mine started and has ran fine since, although I'm very careful to not run low on fuel now

Comment

I can't get any fuel from the outlet of the filter/ primer housing. Sucked like mad on the thing and now not a drop coming out.
      Looks almost certain to be the primer head i think.
      from other posts i've looked at on here the fuel can drain back into the tank if the things faulty. As it started ok and ran for a couple of mins then cut could it have had residual fuel in the pump and lines and then stopped as that was used? sorry to sound a bit dumb but don't know much about diesels. (as you've all probably gathered!!)

Comment

Had enough of it for today. Think i've swallowed as much diesel as i have coffee..!!! Nearly beer time i think.

Comment

Drain the filter and then remove the drain tap (just the tap not sensor) from bottom completely and replace the tiny o-ring.

Nev

Comment

Got a replacement primer from a breakers yard, swapped them over still got same problem. Doesn't want to prime.
            As i've said in earlier post i can blow back down inlet pipe from tank without any problem, seems clear, and when i suck on same pipe diesel comes through, although hard to tell how much , stop sucking as soon as i get a mouthful of diesel.!!
            i attempted to override filter buy removing the filter and fixing the outlet pipe to the threaded center piece (that filter screws onto) carefully pumped a few times and cranked engine over. it fired up after a few attempts, ran for 30 secs or so then just cut out.
            Have retried the same procedure a few times but never got it to fire again and now the batteries are dead again and back on charge.
            Anybody got any other ideas i can try.

Cheers

Comment

Also mean't to say to Nev, i checked the small o ring in the drain tap, didn't have one small enough to replace it but it seems ok, not hardened or flattened much. so i don't think its letting by.

Comment

Check for any fault codes in the ECU.

Type: Diagnostics into the search box.

Comment

Cheers i'll have a look at the ecu codes when i get my batteries back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith24 View Post
                    Cheers i'll have a look at the ecu codes when i get my batteries back on.
                    There won't be any codes now if you've disconnected both batteries.

Comment

No mate i'm only charging them one at a time.

Comment

I would be tempted to check the pickup pipe filter in the tank, I had a 2.4 that would run then misfire and die, bleed it through and she would run again for a while then, it would start the same thing again. I removed mine and cleaned it and the truck was fine after that! i also tried replacing filters but to no avail until i did clean the filter in the tank.
                        Being a S/H primer it does hold no guarantee that it was fine in the first place, The only way to be sure is to get a new one that you can guarantee (well 99% sure it's working) From Roughtrax or similar.
                        I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Was thinking i'll probably have to clean the filter/ pick up pipe in the tank.
                          Do you have to drop the tank out or is it something that can be do with the tank in-situ? Its on the road outside my house as don't even have a drive to put it on, so getting under its a bit of a bugger.
                          As i can blow down the pipe fairly easily, and can suck fuel back up to the filter, i was thinking that i should at least be able to get some diesel out of the filter outlet, all be it maybe not enough to run smooth but at least something?
                          Was running sweet before it cut out last week, no indication of running lumpy , started first time every time. Then just suddenly stopped.
                          Will try to check fault codes tomorrow morning, but i'm pretty sure its lack of fuel...starting to get fed up with it now..and god i hate the taste of diesel.!!

Comment

Somewhere on the forum are the instructions, to cut the floor under the back seat to get at the pickup pipe, as for being able to blow through it doesn't mean it's not blocking as soon as you start pulling fuel through. Dropping the tank is the only way to get at the pickup without cutting the floor as mentioned, the other thing to try is to use the priming bulb from a citroen or peugeot, connect this to the pipe from the tank then connect the other end to the fuel primer inlet stub, this basically bypasses the top primer and should provide enough suction to rule out the pickup pipe filter. if this works then it's still the primer you have bought if not then it's the pickup filter.
                            I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

Success... got it fired up.
                              checked the fault codes just one light blinking steadily so no problem showing there.(thankfully i guess)
                              Managed to find an old hand syphon pump in the depths of my shed that has a clear plastic tube attached. Fitted to the filter inlet pipe, and drew fuel through from tank no problem at all. so filter in tank not blocked.
                              Re-checked old primer pump compared to the replacement definate fault with old one, no suction compared to the one i got from the breakers. made sure the filter was full of diesel, refitted it all , pumped like crazy and cranked over the engine, was trying to fire and after a while fired up..!!
                              Ran fine for ten mins or so, turned it off, retired, fired up great as usual.
                              Left it about an hour tried it again and still ok.
                              Will leave it till this evening before checking again, in case there is a problem with air leak and fuel draining back to the tank and will let you all know how it goes.
                              Thanks once again for all you guys help, much appreciated.

Comment

Fired up and drove fine again today so hopefully all sorted.

Comment

Working...
                                X