Air/Oil seperator fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air/Oil seperator fabrication

So, a wee while ago I promised to write up the fabrication of a cheap as chips air/oil seperator to reduce the amount of oil laden smoke going to the turbo inlet and thus reducing your emmissions and stopping that side of the turbo getting all bunged up with black sludge...7 yrs later here it is!

I made this for NZ$30...or about 10 of your english pounds

You will need: A length of 38mm waste pipe (like you find under your sink, just don't tell the missus)
    2 end caps for same
    2 spigots
    A handful of stainless scouring pads (Think I used 8)
    A small quantity of fine mesh
    Silicone sealant
    60 minutes of free time (some might find that one harder to get than anything else!)
    Attached Files
    Life is not a dress rehearsal
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed
    (Auto's are for the indecisive!!)

Firstly cut your pipe(that you got from under sink) to desired length, bearing in mind it will need to sit on top of the engine and be short enough to allow nice straight pipe routing from breather outlet to seperator to spigot on turbo inlet, suggest you offer up and cut as desired.

Now then take one of your plastic spigots and out a recess in the side (this allows excess oil to drain back into the cam cover, see pic below: Make sure you dont cut the recess to deep, you want it to stay INSIDE the pipe
    Attached Files
    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Last edited by budweiser; 22 November 2011, 01:52. Reason: impatient
      the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Next Glue an end cap onto one end of the body of the seperator (that grey pipe you got from under the sink) and drill a hole to take the spigot that you just "adjusted" through the SIDE of the end cap and through the pipe, you should now have something that looks like this:
        Attached Files
        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
          any pics done on the motor?
          yep, let me get the bleedin right up done, patience young grasshopper!
          1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Now your going to fabricate the other end cap, so drill a hole(to take the other plastic spigot)in the face of the cap, as close to the side as you can, glue in with silicone, then and this is the tricky bit, glue the fine mesh onto the spigot on the INSIDE of the cap (The mesh is to prevent the possibility of any small bits of scourer finding it's way to the turbo!) I used a zip tie to hold it in place while the glue dried. You should now have something that looks like this:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete The Tart; 22 November 2011, 02:14.
            1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

now you can fill the body of the seperator with those stainless scourers, I chose to go for a lightly stuffed approach as I didn't want to much packing to interfere with the flow of gas, once you've put the scourers in, glue the other end cap in place..NOTE Positioning is important here, you want one spigot to be at 12 o'clock and the other to be opposite that at 6 o'clock, so now you should have this:
              Attached Files
              1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

SO far so good, if what you have doesn't look something like the picture then......throw it all in the bin and start again...AND PAY ATTENTION THIS TIME!!!

Remove breather pipe that connects from cam cover to turbo inlet, and cut it so that there is enough to go onto one end of spigot on the seperator you just made and onto spigot on turbo inlet, oh yes you'll be connecting the spigot that protrudes from the face of the end of the seperator, connect the remaining part of the hose to the spigot that protrudes from the SIDE of the seperator, on mine I made this the shortest I could to prevent the seperator fouling the bonnet when closed now mount onto engine with spring clips or jubilee clips and it should look like this:

Things to note, this is NOT an exact write up so you'll need to pay attention to what your doing, you could use some new hose to connect the seperator, which may allow for a tidier installation, with this set up mine sat just on the dipstick but not so much as to make it impossible to check oil and my aim was to make it as cheaply as possible so utilising all available materials was first on my list.....although the missus did make me replace the tube from under the sink!
                Attached Files
                1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                  so you made an in line filter, which looks a cool idea, one small question, how do you clean it?ahh shyt you could flush it through i spose....duurrr sorry.(thats me thinking slow) or is it supposed to be replaced?

i suppose you could make the same using steel or any other materials unlikely to burn or melt, and have a removeable cap, so you could clean it out. nice work dude. food for thought.
                  It's not so much a filter as a condensor, the hot oily gases hit the scourers, condense and when engine not running oil drains back into engine. On mine I noticed way less oil in the turbo inlet. You could easily make one end cap removable, I just used to flush it through with a bit of degreaser every 6 months or so
                  1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                    sort of what i thought , hey you should look to make them in shiney stainless and sell them as a retro fit kit, and sell the replacemnet filter mesh get some one to knock them up, and bingo your in business. web orders done
                    and next time do you write up in word and do it as one post it will save you some greif LOL
                    Yeah I wondered about that............friggin pooter voodoo!
                    1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

cheers for that pete,

that is a major problem on mine at times...

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                        cheers for that pete,

that is a major problem on mine at times...
                        pooter voodoo or gettin the oil outa da air???
                        1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

large amount of oil....

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobE View Post
                            large amount of oil....
                            suggest you make one of the above pronto then.....something for the weekend sir?
                            1996 3.0 SSR-G 5-speed

Comment

Hi Pete

nice write up thinking of doing this myself have you seen any negative effects of this setup?

and has it helped

cheers mate

Comment

Working...
                              X