yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K Reg 2.4 SSR-X just bought, how to service and other questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K Reg 2.4 SSR-X just bought, how to service and other questions.

Okay, just bought my second Surf (last one died in 2007, probably due to my neglect, not this time). It's a beauty if I say so myself, only 45k miles on the clock and both the engine and interior don't suggest otherwise.

So, want to do a service on it myself....something I've never done on any of my cars previous, but I'm fed up paying the price and entrusting mechanics.

Only problems I have noticed so far are;

Back window is struggling to close, guess it's the motor, but I'll try lubing it up first before getting a new motor.

When light breaking the break pedal has slight movement, so I guess it's warped discs.

Lastly when I reach 70mph the car does gently shake you, the steering wheel is fine with no movement and the truck keeps a straight line, is this just me being used to a 2.8 V6 Audi on the motorway and now moving back to a Surf or something more suspect?

Questions, what's the best lube to use for the back window and where to put it.
    Changing the break discs, is it best to change all of them or just the one/s that look warped? And can you direct me to threads that might show me how? (sorry, still getting used to searching the site and can't see any)
    Also, would it be worth my while buying the "haynes" Manuals for Surfs from ebay or is it a waste of £30.

I feel this is already too long, so will leave it at that for the moment.

Thanks.
    Love Surfs, know nothing.

Rather than fitting a new motor to the rear window, strip it down and clean it out. There should be instructions on here somewhere for doing it. Chances are it is just grease got into the electrics of the motor. They are a fiddle to strip and rebuilt but it can be done. There is also a lump of rubber inside the motor that gets contaminated and breaks down causing the motor to "slip" mine has two self tappers through it holding it solid and works well now.

As for lubricating the window runners, I would recommend silicone based polish.

Brake discs usually come as a pair, so replace the two. Also (stating the obvious) change the pads too. Warped discs are usually caused by harsh braking causing them to get too hot. The brake fluid will also have over heated, so worth doing a brake fluid change while you are at it.
    Last edited by SoundsDigital; 23 August 2010, 19:22.

Comment

Working...
    X