yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started on my timing belt - photo heavy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started on my timing belt - photo heavy!

I'd been worried about getting the crank pulley off, so I made up a tool. Worked really well and undid easily

I noticed a bit of damage on the harmonic balancer - is this ok or is it time for a new one?

The plastic cover has been worn away a bit too. Again, is this ok or is it time for a new one?

There are holes for 3 bolts to hold the plastic cover around the water pump, but no bolts were fitted. Is this normal?

Found a few other problems too. I noticed a bit of play in the power steering pump and traced it to the pivot bolt. Took it out and it was well worn - M10 worn down to 8mm in places!

The alternator tensioner screw had seen better days, so I cobbled together a new one.

I'm replacing all the usual timing belt stuff plus the water pump and crank/cam oil seals. Is there anything else I should check/replace while I've got it in bits?

Dan
    https://galooph.com

Originally posted by galooph View Post
    I noticed a bit of damage on the harmonic balancer - is this ok or is it time for a new one?
    New one.

The plastic cover has been worn away a bit too. Again, is this ok or is it time for a new one?
    That looks OK, so long as it's not worn through.

There are holes for 3 bolts to hold the plastic cover around the water pump, but no bolts were fitted. Is this normal?
    No

I'm replacing all the usual timing belt stuff plus the water pump and crank/cam oil seals. Is there anything else I should check/replace while I've got it in bits?
    When you say 'Stuff', do you mean the tensioner and idler? If not, change them.
    Last edited by Albannach; 14 June 2010, 23:12.
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach
      New one.
      Originally posted by galooph
      New one.
      Cool - will do. Roughtrax want £117.50 while Milners want £65. Tough choice!

That looks OK, so long as it's not worn through.
      Thanks - good to know.

No
      Thought it was odd. I'll fit them when I put it all back together.

When you say 'Stuff', do you mean the tensioner and idler? If not, change them.
      Yep - tensioner, spring and idler.

Dan
      https://galooph.com

Comment

Do the crank and cam seals as well and seriously consider replacing the water pump.

Nev

Comment

Working...
        X