No announcement yet.

speedometer died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey surfster does your speed sensor clip have a good connection?
    Are the female connectors inside it in good nic and check when you push it on that the connectors actually are going on, watch the wires at the back and make sure they aren't just being pushed back .
    This is what was happening to mine.
    4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Speedo

Yeah I think it's OK but will double check - I gave it a good clean with WD40 too.

Comment

Speedo

OK - so I got a replacement speedo from a breaker on ebay. Popped it in and still the speedo aint working.

I'm thinking wiring now. I know the needle can move because it kicks up when I try the diagnostics. All the fuses are OK.

What I'm wondering is if it's possible to wire in a different speedo - as in a second one? rather than try and trace the fault with the wiring?

Comment

are you sure a signal is being sent from the sensor? could just be a corroded connection...

and when you had it appart are you certain it was clipped back in fully?

Comment

Speedo

Sorry - that was a typo above - it is a replacement speed sensor I got, fitted nice and snug, wires clipped on etc.

I was reading elsewhere of people using a bicycle speedo, there are also electronic ones online for cars.

I don't know what the wiring is like between the speed sensor and wherever it goes before getting to the back of the dash - is it easily replaceable/checkable or is it a mare?

Thats why I was wondering about just wiring a new speedo in. (before I read about bicycle speedos!) The only issue is to be legal it has to be lit when the side lights are on apparently.

Comment

Speedo

Take your point about corroded connection though - can;t really see it properly to tell though in situ.

Comment

Speedo

OK so question, having done a bit more googling answers on the Oz forums seem to keep coming back to the clocks circuitry being burned out. Which I could't see any evidence of, but then tbh maybe I just didn't spot it. A new clock or a bit of soldering seems to work for folk suffering from no speedo but the odo still working. With mine it's both.

I'm swithering about pulling the dash apart again and having a closer look at the clock or taking the surf to an auto spark to look at the wiring.

It runs and drives fine. Any thoughts?

I take it if the auto transmission needs to get a signal from the speed sensor to know when to change gear etc otherwise it would run like cr@p, and it's running OK, and has a new sensor to boot, and there's no flashing auto lights etc that some people describe, does that mean the wiring is good all the way underneath the car up to the dash? in which case I should say sod it and buy a new clock?

Comment

The speedo's signal goes straight to the speedo head from the sensor in the transfercase. The ECU doesn't need/get a road speed signal.

The ECU gets the engine speed signal from the smaller two wire sensor in the transfercase housing.

Comment

Speedo

Ah OK.

So if I get new clocks/or a whole new cluster (same price on flea bay) and it doesn't work it's got to be the wiring....

At least if thats the case I can sell the stuff on ebay again!

Comment

Speedo

OK

So having replaced the speed sensor, fretted about wiring (because I had taken the clocks out and could see nothing wrong) I but the bullet and bought a used instrument cluster off ebay. Fitted it today and hooray - it works perfectly. Phenomenal. Wish I had done that first. Never mind.

Thanks for all advice and if anyone else has the same problem I would recommend new clocks first.

Comment

I'm having exactly the same problems as from yesterday.
                        The Speedo and odometer has stopped working BUT there is no flashing O/D light and the truck works/drives as before.

Been under and checked the plug - wiring looks ok. Looks like is clocks out time....?

Comment

Clocks

I swapped my speedo drive unit out after inspecting my clocks and seeing no burned out tracks on the printed circuit board behind the clock unit.

It did not cure the problem which led to me wondering about the wires going to the clock from the drive unit.

Prior to giving up and taking the beast to an auto electrician I decided to take a punt on a second hand set of clocks off eBay.

Fitted them and immediately cured the problem.

Based on my experience I would say clock replacement is way to go. I am not a mechanic but getting the plastic off and the clocks out was relatively simple. On the downside I have never managed to get all the plastic back on especially well. Particularly the housing around the steering column. But I can live with it. You can't believe my joy when I put the new clocks in and went for a test drive and it worked.

I never got round to noting the mileage in the new clock at the time of fitting and recording it but I don't do a lot. Probably worth noting if you think you're ever going to sell it.

Comment

Ok thanks, the speedo has been lazy for a while now suddenly bursting into life after a few hundred meters but as said has now died all together.
                            When I take it apart ill have a quick look at the kph-mph box as well.

I only do about 3000 miles per year and will have had the surf 11 years this coming Wednesday, so can't see me selling it anytime soon..

So im on the lookout for new clocks now but not for the £90 listed on ebay

Comment

Clocks

That's exactly what mine was doing if it's any help.

Search google for Hilux Surf Parts 😃

Comment

Working...
                              X