No announcement yet.

speedometer died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4yr old thread but this one seems to be the best out of the bunch regarding speed sensors...
    Took my truck to auto elecs to fix the 4wd motor, all good, but now the o/d light flashes, no speedo and the gear box jumps in and out of gear when ever it wants.

Tried disconnecting the batteries for half an hour and it worked great for about 10 seconds.
    I'm guessing it's going to be the speed sensor, have the auto elecs taking another look at it tomorrow.

Will post up findings.
    4yrs and 2 surfs later...

Comment

Originally posted by Chris QTown View Post
      4yr old thread but this one seems to be the best out of the bunch regarding speed sensors...
      Took my truck to auto elecs to fix the 4wd motor, all good, but now the o/d light flashes, no speedo and the gear box jumps in and out of gear when ever it wants.

Tried disconnecting the batteries for half an hour and it worked great for about 10 seconds.
      I'm guessing it's going to be the speed sensor, have the auto elecs taking another look at it tomorrow.

Will post up findings.
      The gear shifts points rely on signals from the two wire magnetic pickup sensor on the transfercase housing, make sure the plug is secure.
      The three wire sensor in the photo above just controls the speedo.
      Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 27 May 2014, 11:33.

Comment

Thanks bushy,
        Yeah one of the pins was loose, all good now.
        However the o/d light still flashes every 2 seconds.
        Do you think it's worthwhile buying a new sensor?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris QTown View Post
          Thanks bushy,
          Yeah one of the pins was loose, all good now.
          However the o/d light still flashes every 2 seconds.
          Do you think it's worthwhile buying a new sensor?

You need to reset the ECU now that you've reconnected the sensor.

There's nothing really goes wrong with the sensors unless they've been physically damaged, they're just a magnetic switch.

Comment

So just dc batteries for 10mins and unplug ecu by passenger foot panel?

Comment

Speedo

Hello - I am also suffering from speedo problems and have also been struggling to find a definitive guide - though there appear to be no shortage of folks with issues.

I have a Gen 2
              I have located to speed sensor and it is the electric type not mechanical

For ages the speedo has been a bit slow to "wake up" when I move off. Then when it does it's fine. Sometimes it takes half a mile to kick in.

A couple of days ago I braked quite harshly coming out of my drive (speedo seemed to be working OK at this point) and when I drove off again it did not come back on. In addition the odometer has stopped working. Doesn't turn at all. Unlike many on here with similar problems my OD off light is not flashing.

I've driven it a bit to see if it will come back and been in and out of OD and ECT on and off and even tried 4WD a few times but nada.

I had a look at the speed sensor with the intention of taking it off for a look see but have a couple of questions:

The electric connecting block does not have any release clips at the side - is it a straight pull? It seems pretty stiff and I don't want to damage it if there's a trick to getting it off.

There are 3 small philips screw heads in addition to the one small nut. Do these screws need to come out for removal?

Following the advice above if I test it on a multimeter and it is OK then the next step is to clean/check the connections at the sensor end. If it isn't OK, buy a new sensor.

If the sensor is OK then I need to remove the dash and look for burned out circuitry? and if I find some, order a new dash? Failing that check the connections.

Based on the symptoms though where neither the speedo nor the odo are turning and the OD light is not flashing, does anyone have an idea which end is most likely the problem?

Comment

Speedo

BTW - I found this helpful guide to removing the dash:
                http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/workshop/dash.htm

Is it worth disconnecting the batteries to see if this fixes anything?
                And someone mentioned resetting the ECU - can anyone advise how?/why?

Cheers!

Comment

Hey surfster the ecu should be where I said in my last post.
                  I reset mine and it cleared the od light for about 10secs but then it cane on again.
                  So I don't know...

Comment

I would say it is a fault in your instrument panel if you don't have any transmission issues.

Comment

Speedo

Thanks - I'll begin with the dash in that case though this is uncharted territory for me and I feel a little apprehensive!

Comment

speedo

hi
                        you can pick a speedo up on flea bay for a few quid
                        when i had a gen2 i put a 2.4 one in mine the other thing you
                        can look at is has it been converted on my other one i took the little box out
                        and rewired it back all the cables are there so you just rejoin them
                        together
                        other than that until you can get a fix use a sad nav for speed they pretty
                        good
                        then if all else fails guess
                        and if you get a ticket your quess not so good
                        the old git

Comment

See if your model surf had the diagnostic box under the hood, if it does you can self diagnose any sensor problems by following the codes.
                          http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/efifaultcodes.htm

Comment

Hi Surfster - my Surf has the exact same symptom as you. 5 or 6 years ago when I bought it I noticed soon after that the speedo was sometimes lazy at waking up. I would pull away and get up to about 20mph before the speedo would then jump at 20mph and be fine for days / weeks / months.

The o/d light on mine did flash when the speedo stopped working but now there is no flashing, but speedo still not working.

O/d works fine and all gear changes are normal as before. I was going to swap over the sensor but sounds like this is now a dash cluster problem. I wont be able sort that.

If anyone has any input to the above please let me know
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Speedo

Well I tried the diagnosis - check engine light didn't flash but when the wire was across the two terminals in the diagnosis box, after I turned on the ignition and waited a few moments before the annoying key in ignition alarm sounded, the speedo needle kicked up to about 40mph and fell straight down again.

It did this a couple of times when I tried the procedure. Is something wired up wrongly?

Presumably however that indicates that the dash/dials etc are all working OK as it can obviously move when it gets a signal. So I'm coming down in favour of duff sensor.

I had the sensor out a few days ago, for anyone that comes after, there is only the one nut holding it in, the wire harness comes off with a flat head screwdriver used as a lever and a bit of leverage is needed to get the sensor to extract from it's location.

anyway, I took it to bits a little and cleaned up some yukky old grease in it and put it back. When I test drove it, a couple of times, randomly, the speed needle kicked up to a decent amount but then just fell away again. Also the 10ths of a mile wheel on the odometer has started moving ever so slightly and from zero, is now up to 3 after a few miles.

I think I may stump up the cash for a new/used one off flea bay. Any thoughts?

BTW lying underneath the truck it was a total pain to try and undo the nut holding the sensor in, until I got a pillow under my head and found the right position and it became easy. Mention it because the first time I tried I gave up in disgust being unable to get a spanner into the area.

Comment

Speedo

Forgot to mention as well - I had the dash out as well - it was actually quite easy to do, just undo a few obvious screws and then use a bit of brute force and ignorance. Anwyway, everything looked fine (as in no burned out circuits etc) and I don't appear to have this black box thing to convert the speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X