No announcement yet.

newbie 4wd problem with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The VSV plugs have two wires. One is positive the other negative. Black/White Stripe is negative on all I think. When testing connect multimeter to both terminals. Easier if you have a helper to pess button etc as suggested. Have the engine running as well so you can pull hoses and check for vacuum from each VSV if plugs test ok and after reconnecting to the VSV.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by iliketwopointeights View Post
      Does anyone know what the relay that controls the ADD looks like or what its called so i can try replacing that
      cheers
      jos
      Not sure on the 4Runner but the Surf has it on the brake pedal bracket on firewall. On the Surf it is black and marked "Fuel Pump Relay". Yes you read that right.

Can you give me a Model and Frame number so I can see if I can find specific diagrams for your vehicle?

Nev

Comment

Hi Great !
        My chassis number is - LN131-9000248
        The only relay i can see is a inch square black one, not a lot else up there.
        cheers
        jos

Comment

I am still concerned about the part in pic one that look like it should have a pipe on it because that is connect to the other vacum pipes, so i am going to try and block it for now
          Pull the hose off that is on there and test for vacuum at the hose with the engine running. If it has vacuum reconnect and cap the other outlet to prevent any chance of vacuum loss if the VSV is not working properly. Leave this till you sort the ADD problem.

Nev

Comment

Hi Great !
            My chassis number is - LN131-9000248
            The only relay i can see is a inch square black one, not a lot else up there.
            cheers
            jos
            ###### hell that was quick. Get a part number off the relay and I will see if I can identify it or point you to the right place for the relay. Having a look for diagrams etc now.

Nev

Comment

Look for 28380-44030 on the relay. As far as I can tell it should be in the same place as the Surfs. Nothing certain though. The part number may confirm this.

Nev

Comment

Ok, i have found the so called "fuel pump relay"
                Its a 28380-44030 056700-5960
                I think its the same as the surf i was just looking in the wrong place (next to fuse box. Now how do test the little bvgger (in simpletons terms)
                Cheers
                Jos

Comment

I have taken the cover off it and it looks fine inside
                  Last edited by iliketwopointeights; 8 November 2008, 15:17.

Comment

That will be it but here comes the fun part. I don't know how to test the ADD relay so have a look here first -

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...light=sequence

We think this is the sequence for the 4WD system. You will see that the relay is further down the chain from the 4WD computer and the transfer case shift motor so if you press the button and the ADD relay does not click then you need to check for the first click from the 4WD computer, then the transfer shift motor switching, then a second click from the 4WD computer then a click from the relay. That should keep you busy for a while and if all that works then you have to look at the ADD system for the fault. It's a fairly simple system one you get to know how everything works.

Nev

Comment

Ok,
                      Nothing clicks when i press the button. do you know where the computer is and how i would test that (sounds expensive!)

Comment

Ok,
                        Nothing clicks when i press the button. do you know where the computer is and how i would test that (sounds expensive!)
                        In the 2.4 and 3.0 it's under the console where the ash tray is - so if you take the cover off where the centre console meets the bottom of the dash, you should see a fag packet sized black box with 4WD ECU on it - it has connectors at each end and is held in with 2 screws...

If you have someone nearby with a Surf, see if they can bring theirs over (is there anyone near Jos that could help) and swap relay, 4WD ECU and VSVs if need be - also, the transfer and transmission switches???
                        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Ok guys cheers for your replys , but it looks like have been ripped off, just taken the ashtray out and there is nothing there but a connector. Can someone confirm that i have been had !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Last edited by iliketwopointeights; 8 November 2008, 15:50.

Comment

Centre dash area above the transmission tunnel. No idea how to test but I doubt it or the relay are the problem. They rarely fail. Test the switch first and make sure the wires for it under the centre console are connected. Nothing will work if the switch is not operating correctly. Also test for 4WD by trying 4Low on the transfer case. You really need someone who knows a little about the ADD etc to help you out.

Nev

Comment

Bugger me!!!!!

It may be (although unlikely) that it's somewhere else in the 2.8 as the VSV location is slightly different to the 2.4 and 3.0 - but looks like it's been taken out....

There should be two connectors down there, one much smaller than the one in the pic - I'll look in my shed, as I think I have a 4WD ECU in there.....

EDIT - thanks for the pic Nev - it is just the one connector then (I thought there was another smaller one on the other side..) But looks like the plug thats hanging down is the same as the one that's in the 4WD ECU - no idea why someone would take it out......
                              Last edited by MudSurfer; 8 November 2008, 16:01.
                              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

This is what the 4WD Computer looks like.

You may be right and it is missing. Being a 4Runner and having some differences is not making it easy though.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                                X