Life is cruel sometimes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life is cruel sometimes...

Well, the truck was finally sorted, had a little overheating issue, which was almost certainly down to airlock / dodgy stat / radcap, so a full service, oil filter, fuel filter, belts inc. cambelt, coolant drained, flushed and re-filled, airlock removed, even cleaned her inside and out, fitted front bull bar and wired in Angel Eyes,running a dream, and was going to sleep at night with a hint of a smile on my smug face.

Came out to go to work this morning, and thought ' Thats a bit out of order, someone has tipped a gallon of oil under my truck' The dipstick confirmed that my initial thought was wrong !!

Anyway, had to get to work, so filled her with oil, and drove fairly gingerly the 25 or so miles to work, where she is sitting outside slowly dropping oil onto the newly block paved forecourt outside the place I'm working. (I have put a plastic sheet underneath now)

I'm guessing it's oil pump or summat, I know I need to replace rocker gasket, but apart from obvious oil loss, would there be any other symptoms from such a big loss, as bizzarrely truck is driving fine, with oil pressure normal?

Any advice appreciated.

Bu5h.
    If you play with fire.....

Do you know where the leak is coming from? Could just be the new filter's not fitted correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      Do you know where the leak is coming from? Could just be the new filter's not fitted correctly.
      Didn't have a great deal of time this morning, but I did check oil filter and thats fine, and it looks like the left hand side of the block is covered in oil, but this may be from rocker gasket. The pool of oil on the road was slightly to left as well though, but I appreciate that doesn't neccessarily mean its coming from above there.

Thanks for reply.

Bu5h.

Comment

Which side are you classing as the left side? Plus, as Sancho mentioned, filter is the main suspect. If it wasn't peeing out oil before, it's unlikely it would just start at the drop of a hat. Check you haven't left the seal off of the old filter on underneath the new filter.
        Last edited by MattF; 14 May 2008, 13:35.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
          Which side are you classing as the left side? Plus, as Sancho mentioned, filter is the main suspect. If it wasn't peeing out oil before, it's unlikely it would just start at the drop of a hat. Check you haven't left the seal off of the old filter on underneath the new filter.
          I carried out oil change over 2 weeks ago, it definately is not the filter. I'm classing the left side as you look at the truck from the front i.e looking at windscreen, steering wheel on your left. It has been losing a small amount of oil due to rocker gasket, but this is a lot, and I'm f*cked if I can see where its coming from. Gonna get it on a ramp and see whats going on.

Comment

Originally posted by bu5hwack3r View Post
            I carried out oil change over 2 weeks ago
            Well, it would help if you were more precise in your descriptions. You made it sound as if you did the service yesterday. We ain't telepathic you know. Plus, please refer to either offside/drivers side or nearside/passengers side in future. Left/right is open to interpretation.

Comment

Check the oil pipes to the alternator
              ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Well, it would help if you were more precise in your descriptions. You made it sound as if you did the service yesterday. We ain't telepathic you know. Plus, please refer to either offside/drivers side or nearside/passengers side in future. Left/right is open to interpretation.
                Mate I gotta be honest, you talking to me like I'm a five year old, which ain't going down well. The description of 'left side' referred to the oil on the road underneath the truck, and the follow up described accurately what I meant. If you don't wanna help, just say so, not patronise me and treat me like a child, cos I'm too old, big and ugly for that.

Comment

Mate I gotta be honest, you talking to me like I'm a five year old, which ain't going down well. The description of 'left side' referred to the oil on the road underneath the truck, and the follow up described accurately what I meant. If you don't wanna help, just say so, not patronise me and treat me like a child, cos I'm too old, big and ugly for that.
                  Like I really care whether it's going down well or not. The day we all possess telepathic powers, your non-descriptive post method may work. Until then, give descriptive and useful observations or be prepared to get sh1te answers. Simple choice.

Comment

Like I really care whether it's going down well or not. The day we all possess telepathic powers, your non-descriptive post method may work. Until then, give descriptive and useful observations or be prepared to get sh1te answers. Simple choice.
                    Sh1te answer is right!! What can't you grasp from the description then?? I appreciate you make your 'name' from being deliberatley cantankerous and beligerant, but I don't really care about that either. This forum was really highly recommended to me, as somewhere people could go who don't have the infinate knowledge about Surfs you clearly have, and benefit from the advice of others. I'm sorry if I haven't precisely described o/s or n/s etc, I didn't realise it was a pre-requisite to posting on here. Stop trying to be so clever mate, and give people a chance eh?

Comment

I appreciate you make your 'name' from being deliberatley cantankerous and beligerant, but I don't really care about that either.
                      Not at all. I merely don't see the point of wasting my time anymore trying to help people who can't even be bothered to post a message which doesn't require several minutes of deciphering due to the use of some form of b@stardised English, or several minutes interpreting what the meaning of the post may be, when it should be clearly and concisely written. You want help, provide a precise description. If you can honestly look at your first two posts and say that they are both descriptive AND precise, then I'll eat my hat. You may understand perfectly well what you wrote. That does not mean you described it clearly, however.

Comment

Not at all. I merely don't see the point of wasting my time anymore trying to help people who can't even be bothered to post a message which doesn't require several minutes of deciphering due to the use of some form of b@stardised English, or several minutes interpreting what the meaning of the post may be, when it should be clearly and concisely written. You want help, provide a precise description. If you can honestly look at your first two posts and say that they are both descriptive AND precise, then I'll eat my hat. You may understand perfectly well what you wrote. That does not mean you described it clearly, however.
                        Well, in that case, I apologise for wasting your time. I hadn't realised that my command of the written English word is so bad that it has taken you that long to decipher it. You disagree that you are deliberately awkward and argumentative, yet you call yourself 'old grumpy boll0x' interesting....

I will obviously have to seek advice elsewhere, and put this all down to experience.

Thanks for your (waste of) time

Comment

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Well, in that case, I apologise for wasting your time. I hadn't realised that my command of the written English word is so bad that it has taken you that long to decipher it. You disagree that you are deliberately awkward and argumentative, yet you call yourself 'old grumpy boll0x' interesting....

I will obviously have to seek advice elsewhere, and put this all down to experience.

Thanks for your (waste of) time
                            I never specifically said your written English was poor. Your description was fairly useless, however. Btw, someone else called me that. I merely found it amusing and decided to keep it.

You have no need to seek advice elsewhere. Have you even checked anything else for leaks since you arrived home? Have you checked what Woodzie suggested?

And with regards to your last sentence, you have spent approximately the last half hour or so posting with no indication of whether you have done any further checks to try and locate the source of the leak. I do not think you should accuse anyone else of wasting your time, but rather the opposite.

Now, if you're willing to stop t1t-lipping and get back to the problem you have, have you progressed any further with localising the apparent area of the leak?

Comment

I never specifically said your written English was poor. Your description was fairly useless, however. Btw, someone else called me that. I merely found it amusing and decided to keep it.

You have no need to seek advice elsewhere. Have you even checked anything else for leaks since you arrived home? Have you checked what Woodzie suggested?

And with regards to your last sentence, you have spent approximately the last half hour or so posting with no indication of whether you have done any further checks to try and locate the source of the leak. I do not think you should accuse anyone else of wasting your time, but rather the opposite.

Now, if you're willing to stop t1t-lipping and get back to the problem you have, have you progressed any further with localising the apparent area of the leak?
                              Ok, fair enough After cleaning away as much oil as possible this evening, to try and locate the source, it does seem to be localised around oil pipes to alternator, but thats still a bit of a guess as it was getting dark, but thanks for the pointer Bio. I'm taking it to a mates tomorrow to get it on a ramp and have a really good look in decent light, so should know more then.

Comment

Working...
                              X