No announcement yet.

Weird Rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had problem with strange noises on my 2.4 earlier this year. Turned out to be the dual mass flywheel breaking up and bits of it getting bounced about the bell housing every so often.
    Never go back to work, the day after you are off

Comment

Where is the duel mass flywheel? would it be exposed during a head change? sorry for my ignorants
      it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

its inside the gearbox bellhousing, attached to the back end of the crank shaft, its what the clutch is attached too, just same as normal flywheel but with fancy springs and stuff that are ment to help stop engine/gearbox vibration etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieL
          I had problem with strange noises on my 2.4 earlier this year. Turned out to be the dual mass flywheel breaking up and bits of it getting bounced about the bell housing every so often.
          I have had the exact same problem, it sounds just like gravel hitting the underside of a thin metal plate, mine also turned out to be the Flywheel, just got myself a new one with new bolts and a clutch kit but its cold outside so i am going to live with it for a while, anyone ever fitted a flywheel on a surf, are thay hard to do, i can only imagine its a case of dropping the prop and gearbox and then replace the clutch and flywheel, if they don't fall out on there own soon
          Roy
          When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

So what will happen if I dont get it looked at? Is it a big job?

Comment

flywheel job.

I just had it done. Broken pieces and bolts from flywheel really polished bell housing while trashing inside. It created a havoc with clutch assambly as well. Both parts had to be replaced to the tune of 1600 clams. Runs like charm now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpole
                I just had it done. Broken pieces and bolts from flywheel really polished bell housing while trashing inside. It created a havoc with clutch assambly as well. Both parts had to be replaced to the tune of 1600 clams. Runs like charm now.
                I drove by a gerrage today and said its that for sure.gettingitdone this week and no more driving till its done.

Comment

Working...
                X