Cam belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam belt

OK, Cam belt should be here for the weekend, i got the aus download but are there any other hints/tips i might need to know before i get going, looks straight forward and i've done em on other cars, but always weary of these surfs, everythings out the way so it's all clear to get at, cheers
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Originally posted by ian619
    OK, Cam belt should be here for the weekend, i got the aus download but are there any other hints/tips i might need to know before i get going, looks straight forward and i've done em on other cars, but always weary of these surfs, everythings out the way so it's all clear to get at, cheers

Line all the marks up, cam pulley mark points straight down, the crank and fuel pump pulley point straight up.

Loosen the nut in the centre of the tensioner roller and lever it to the left and tighten bolt to hold it.

Fit belt, but turn the crank sprocket two teeth anti-clockwise.

You'll see why when you release the tensioner and rotate the engine a couple of times, the crank sprocket will be a tooth or two out (too far advanced) fitting the belt with the sprocket two teeth before the timing mark allows for this.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Line all the marks up, cam pulley mark points straight down, the crank and fuel pump pulley point straight up.

Loosen the nut in the centre of the tensioner roller and lever it to the left and tighten bolt to hold it.

You'll see why when you release the tensioner and rotate the engine a couple of times, the crank sprocket will be a tooth or two out (too far advanced) fitting the belt with the sprocket two teeth before the timing mark allows for this.
      Cheers mate, yeah thats probably why the aus guy said it's a bit os a sod as it keeps jumping a tooth when ya let the tensioner go. thats a good tip! thanks very much!

Comment

Also, make sure you don't do Charlie's trick and get it 180 degrees out.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

Cheers mate, yeah thats probably why the aus guy said it's a bit os a sod as it keeps jumping a tooth when ya let the tensioner go. thats a good tip! thanks very much!

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            Also, make sure you don't do Charlie's trick and get it 180 degrees out.

Oopps, i had my tea while doing that post and could'nt remember if i clicked submit There's no **** like an old **** eh!

are you jokeing, did he do that? is it possible to do that? if so ya can bet i'll do it,
            Hey Matt! just going to have a good read through your famous viscous fan thread, on Bushwackers mod, figured i'd do it while it's off, thought of printing it all and haveing a read in the bog (do most of me reading in there, fag, cup of tea and a good book, ahhh heaven)
            Last edited by POPEYE; 17 May 2007, 18:26.

Comment

are you jokeing, did he do that? is it possible to do that? if so ya can bet i'll do it,
              Yup. When he did Ferret's Surf. Apparently it ran, but sounded like a bag of spanners.

Hey Matt! just going to have a good read through your famous viscous fan thread, on Bushwackers mod, figured i'd do it while it's off, thought of printing it all and haveing a read in the bog (do most of me reading in there, fag, cup of tea and a good book, ahhh heaven)
              Make sure you have a good supply of paper in the printer.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Yup. When he did Ferret's Surf. Apparently it ran, but sounded like a bag of spanners.
                So how'd he do it (or should i ask him ) did he have the marks arse about face

Make sure you have a good supply of paper in the printer.

Comment

Take the radiator out - it'll be much, much harder with it in. Only a few bolts to take out - well worth the effort.

Loosen the bottom pulley bolt using the starter motor trick.

Clench buttocks tightly when restarting the car.

I took a liesurely 3 hours or so - take your time and you'll be fine.

Good luck
                  Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Its a peice of **** mate, i never done the turn a crank thingy, i never have had to do that on any car. The only thing i ever move is the cam if its being a sod? But these folk have done loads, i have only done one surf belt/
                    What comes around goes around!!

Comment

Cheers mate, yeah thats probably why the aus guy said it's a bit os a sod as it keeps jumping a tooth when ya let the tensioner go.
                      It's not so much that it jumps a tooth but rather the small amount of slack that's between the pump sprocket and crank no matter how much you try to tighten the belt. It's a short distance so trying to pull the belt tight enough between these two points is difficult. I've found one tooth before TDC on the crank is enough but I suppose this depends how tight you get it before the tensioner is released. Either way make sure after the tensioner is released and everything is tightened rotate the crank two more revolutions and do a final check BEFORE everything else is put back together.

Nev

Comment

Viscous fan mod

Could someone give me a link to the 'viscous fan mod' that was referred to earlier?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Syd
                          Could someone give me a link to the 'viscous fan mod' that was referred to earlier?

Thanks

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showth...=disassembling

Hope you have lots of spare time!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
                            Take the radiator out - it'll be much, much harder with it in. Only a few bolts to take out - well worth the effort.

Loosen the bottom pulley bolt using the starter motor trick.

Clench buttocks tightly when restarting the car.

I took a liesurely 3 hours or so - take your time and you'll be fine.

Good luck
                            Everythings already off so no probs there, the pully bolt was a real sod tho, tighter than a flemenco dancers arse, i had to cut a spanner down to get a bar on it, socket just slopped over and would have buggered the bolt head, as it was it bent the spanner up as ya can see, did'nt fancy the starter trick,
                            probably would have launched the spanner or stuffed the starter, i made a locking bar up after removeing the outer pullys, i was wondering how charlie got it 180% out tho

Comment

[QUOTE=ian619} i was wondering how charlie got it 180% out tho[/QUOTE]

I think it was the camshaft pulley that was 180 degrees out, as the timing mark is a 6 o'clock not 12 o'clock like most other cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X