Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sounds ok...but no poke!!

Hi all...

recently fitted a new 2.4TD recon unit with gearbox and its not performing...at first i thought vacumm pipes but with some help from you guys they are all now spot on (i also varified with another truck with the same engine..just to make sure!)

then thought the problem might be caused by the 35" muds id just fitted...so to elmiminate i put the originals back on..and no improvment...still struggle to get out of 3rd gear and anything past 50mph on the speedo (actually im now traveling slower..due the smaller wheels according to GPS)

i am intermitantly getting the engine light on (and the turbo light goes off) done the diags..and getting 2,12 and 13....the 2 i can understand as i found oil in the turbo vacuum pipe to the sensor...

any ideas on the 12 and 13?...the fuel pump has been replaced during the engine fitment (assuming with a good one...but not recon etc)

another thing i noticed..on startup it seems to take quite a lot of turns before it fires...and once it does fire...it splutters and coughs a bit (sounds like its missing) before ticking over fine...revs up fine...just doesnt seem to be able to cope once you load it.

it has had a new set of glow plugs BTW...

coudl it be this fuel pump if dead?...i was gonna order the Milners seal kit and see if that makes any improvment...

it does seem to be using hell of a lot of fuel too...(im sure its single figure MPG!) but that might just be due to the fact the accelorator is always burried in the floor in the hope of some more power!

Wish id put the V8 in it now :P
    sparkz
    http://www.elite4x4.co.uk/

12 is timer control valve and 13 is crank sensor. Timer control valve could be faulty or it could simply be the pump timing is out. This will give the same fault code. You need to check the timing belt has been installed correctly and all timing marks are correct. Hard to start, poor fuel economy and lack of power are all symptoms of the above. 13 may be crank sensor fault, sensor not connected or even not there. See if it is actually there and the wiring is connected. Hope you got the right block and not a non EFI.

Nev

Comment

didn't Ferret and Chillit have the same thing on Ferret's truck last week and the timing on the fuel pump or something was 180d out
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by sparkz
        Hi all...

recently fitted a new 2.4TD recon unit with gearbox and its not performing...at first i thought vacumm pipes but with some help from you guys they are all now spot on (i also varified with another truck with the same engine..just to make sure!)

then thought the problem might be caused by the 35" muds id just fitted...so to elmiminate i put the originals back on..and no improvment...still struggle to get out of 3rd gear and anything past 50mph on the speedo (actually im now traveling slower..due the smaller wheels according to GPS)

i am intermitantly getting the engine light on (and the turbo light goes off) done the diags..and getting 2,12 and 13....the 2 i can understand as i found oil in the turbo vacuum pipe to the sensor...

any ideas on the 12 and 13?...the fuel pump has been replaced during the engine fitment (assuming with a good one...but not recon etc)

another thing i noticed..on startup it seems to take quite a lot of turns before it fires...and once it does fire...it splutters and coughs a bit (sounds like its missing) before ticking over fine...revs up fine...just doesnt seem to be able to cope once you load it.

it has had a new set of glow plugs BTW...

coudl it be this fuel pump if dead?...i was gonna order the Milners seal kit and see if that makes any improvment...

it does seem to be using hell of a lot of fuel too...(im sure its single figure MPG!) but that might just be due to the fact the accelorator is always burried in the floor in the hope of some more power!

Wish id put the V8 in it now :P

Code 12 is the fuel pump, code 13 is the crank sensor.
        Make sure the glowplug fuse hasn't blown.
        Was the fuel pipes on the pump put back in the correct order?
        Try re-setting the ECU by removing the EDC relay or dis-connecting the batteries for 20 mins.

Comment

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28895

heres the link to the prob on Ferret's truck.It may help it may not
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

ferrets truck made lots of noise, but no fault codes were showing.. do i win some sort of prize for furthest out timing? hope you get it sorted
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28895

heres the link to the prob on Ferret's truck.It may help it may not
              Cheers guys...think the next step is timing...

just read thru Ferrets post..and a few things add up...mine does sound a bit tickety....not bad but a little more than i would expect for a new engine...

We timed it all up before we put the engine in..so pretty sure its timed right, altho after reading this

When we adjusted the timing, having re-fitted the fuel pump, we lined it all up perfectly, the only problem was, there were 2 marks on the pump, so The law of sod states that "Thow shalt line up the wrong mark". The timing was exactly 180 degrees out.........Bu**£r!
              i might just double check the timing marks just incase i have 2 too!....if it is..ill be amazed its performing as well as it actually is!...

as for fuel pipes..ironically they did get mixed up when the engine was fitted...but it actually ran!..(struggled to rev..but ran!) i noticed them and swapped them over anyway..so i know they are right now

Cheers for your help guys....ill keep you posted on my progress..

just wanna get this nailed down and running right then strip down my 'engine donor surf' and sell the some spares off...getting some cash to put towards the suspention lift ..and get some driveway back...(untill the next project!)

S
              sparkz

Comment

Cheers guys...think the next step is timing...

just read thru Ferrets post..and a few things add up...mine does sound a bit tickety....not bad but a little more than i would expect for a new engine...

We timed it all up before we put the engine in..so pretty sure its timed right, altho after reading this

i might just double check the timing marks just incase i have 2 too!....if it is..ill be amazed its performing as well as it actually is!...

as for fuel pipes..ironically they did get mixed up when the engine was fitted...but it actually ran!..(struggled to rev..but ran!) i noticed them and swapped them over anyway..so i know they are right now

Cheers for your help guys....ill keep you posted on my progress..

just wanna get this nailed down and running right then strip down my 'engine donor surf' and sell the some spares off...getting some cash to put towards the suspention lift ..and get some driveway back...(untill the next project!)

S
                Hi All...

got chance to check the above last week...timing marks were cock on so i think i can rule that out....unless it is just the timing (adjustment) that is out?...i wouldnt expect this would make so much difference tho?...best way of discribing it...is as if you only have 1/4 throttle...and anything above 1/4 doenst seem to do anything...still flat out down hill at 50mph in 3rd gear..change to 4th and it slows down!...

someone sugested the fuel pump could have issues....i did notice somone had used some sort of sealant to seal the sensor in the top when i replaced the seals...there was some floating about in the bottom of the pump so im wondering if something somewhere is blocked?...is there any sugestions on how i can check the pump out myself?....ive cracked the pipes and im getting squirtage when i crank it....

could it be a blocked injector is causing the lack of power?

thank guys..

S
                sparkz

Comment

TPS (throttle position sensor)

Have you got another on you can try?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    TPS (throttle position sensor)

Have you got another on you can try?

a mates got a LC with the same engine...i guess i could borrow it to see...isnt there an engine management error code relating to this tho?..

im getting error codes 12 & 13...and also 2...

2 i can explain cause i found oil in the turbo sensor...and later i found lots of oil comin from the turbo seals...the turbo is currently getting rebuilt (just waiting for parts to turn up) so that should cure the 2.....

the 12 & 13 was why i was thinkin pump...could an iffy TPS cause this too?

Cheers...

S
                    sparkz

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but thinking logically, the TPS would send a signal to the pump via the ECU. or vice versa.

Comment

I'm not 100% sure, but thinking logically, the TPS would send a signal to the pump via the ECU. or vice versa.
                        Ahh...ok...well once i get the turbo back together..ill 'borrow' the TPS from my mates LC and see what happens....

would simply unplugging it have a similar effect?...im thinkin if i unplugged it and it had no effect it would point towards it being faulty?

Cheers

S
                        sparkz

Comment

Ahh...ok...well once i get the turbo back together..ill 'borrow' the TPS from my mates LC and see what happens....

would simply unplugging it have a similar effect?...im thinkin if i unplugged it and it had no effect it would point towards it being faulty?

Cheers

S

I reckon, yes!

Comment

I reckon, yes!
                            Ok..update...

turbo done...
                            another fuel pump fitted
                            injectors changed
                            timing check (again!)
                            and i unplugged the TPS while it was running....it idled up a bit mayb3 2500rpm...but didnt go any higher...is this normal?...reading thru should it race away?...

just to remind you of the simptoms...starts fine...runs ok...just hasnt got any guts...struggle to acelerate and cant seem to pull itself along in anything above 3rd gear...

any more ideas folks?...just to remind you...i bought the truck as a non runner with a new (recon) engine fitted and a dead fuel pump (so had never been started (was still nice and clean so pretty happy its never run)..now with the new pump etc it runs..but is gutless

thanks for any advice you can give.

S
                            sparkz

Comment

Does the truck have a manual transmission?
                              Was it an auto before?
                              If you converted from auto to manual, did you swap the ECUs over as well?
                              If it's a manual, is the clutch slipping?
                              If an auto, is the trans fluid level/condition OK?
                              Is the fuel filter new/clean?
                              Cylinder compressions OK?

Comment

Working...
                              X