engine change from 2LTE to 2LT. is this possible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine change from 2LTE to 2LT. is this possible

i finally got fed up with my on going overheating problem so i decided to just change the engine.
    After ringing round a few breakers yards i was offered a 2LT engine and was assured it was exactly the same, and all i would have to do was change round the injector pump, inlet and outlet manifold, etc.

so i took my engine out this morning. After checking both engines i have found that mine has a crankshaft sensor and the 2LT engine does not.

if i go ahead and fit this engine after swapping everything around will this run without a sensor, or will i be left in even more problems like engine management light etc.

would my best option be to leave the engine back.
    Has any body and advice or ideas

There was talk about the very same thing a few weeks ago, you may have to trawl through some threads or do a search for engine management or crankshaft sensor or Similar. Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... You just can't see em Comin !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

If you intend to swap your EFI pump to the 2L-T then no, it will not work. The pump and ECU require a Crank Sensor.

The 2L-TE also has a Coolant Sensor and the 2L-T has not.

Nev

Comment

engine swap

Cheers guys for the advice.
        Thats what i thought and was dreading to hear. will bring back to breakers tomorrow for refund.
        Just hope i can find a efi engine soon

thanks again
        Gordy

Comment

It usually makes life easier if you get advice *before* rather than after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
            It usually makes life easier if you get advice *before* rather than after the fact.
            Hehehe is that the voice of experience speaking,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
              Hehehe is that the voice of experience speaking
              I've no idea what you mean.......................

Comment

Don`t do it

Glad some of the other guys told you of the problems.
                I too was told that the engines were the same and all you had to do was disconnect the sensor. $$$$!!!!!!
                I was not as fortunate as yourself and I told the garage, that had my Surf for 3 months, just to fit the engine. Because there was so much time and money spent swapping over the ancillaries over, when I got my truck back and found that the turbo does not work and the fuel pump always feels like the timing is out, i was too late to give the breakers his engine back.

Things might have been different if the breakers was closer to hand, I live in Aberdeen, Scotland and the breaker was down London way. The breakers were called "Engines r Us". I can`t say if the guy is just mis-informed or he doesn`t give a damn about his customers.

I have now taken my truck off the road and am thinking of selling it for spares or repairs. I am really gutted as I loved that money pit. Even my wife was comming round to liking it as well.

Comment

The engines are almost the same so it's easy for wrong advice to be given by those who don't know the difference. The E version not only has the crank sensor but also a protusion on the crank or conrod (not sure which) that the sensor uses to create a signal for the ECU. I've heard on at least one occasion that someone installed the sensor by drilling and tapping the block. This is pointless if the protusion is not there. The coolant sensor is easier and can be fitted to the non E engine by drilling and tapping the block.

I read somewhere about someone who said they successfullly swaped a 3L for a 2L-TE using the EFI pump and used the power steering pulley as a sensor signal pickup. Find this hard to believe because the pulley would not rotate at the same rate as the crank.

Here is the topic about the above.

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/viewt...teering+pulley

Nev

Comment

ECU sensor

Thanks for the link Nev, I wish I had known that sooner. It might inspire me to keep my truck a little longer to see if I can fix the problem.

Is it possible that this sensor only measures the increase in speed of the crank or "raised lump on power steering pulley" instead of, say for example, a pre-determined point on the crank ?????

I think it would be almost impossible for a mechanic, (even a really good one) to work out the speed ratios of the crank and transfer it to the P/S pulley with a chisel mark.

Does anyone out there know for sure how this sensor works on this particular engine ???? Or has anyone else tried getting a signal for the sensor from any other part of the engine ????
                    Any comments would be gratefully accepted and digested.

Cheers guys.

P.S. does the cranks on Aussie Surfs still go round in the same direction as ours..........ha ha

Comment

i thought all you had to do was paint over the 'E' on the engine and it'd be ok!
                      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by chasharman

P.S. does the cranks on Aussie Surfs still go round in the same direction as ours..........ha ha
                        That is a quality funny!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

engine change

ok so i finally got fed up with breakers quoting me silly prices for an EFi engine for my surf, so i had a go at the 2LT engine

Firstly i pulled of the sump to see if the pick up point was on my crank, and it was. so i drilled the block, starting witn a 5mm drill bit, and then working up to 24mm. it was very easy drilled.
                          Also the face of the block also needed machine of 3mm, as with the sensor fitted it was to far away to sense.This was done by a angle grinder and a flapper disk.

so i then started swaping over all the other things:
                          oil pick up pipe
                          sump
                          injector pump
                          inlet/oulet manifold
                          oil cooler
                          thermastate housing
                          fly wheel

i then fitted the engine and it started no problems. i have done about 500 miles so far without any problems.

Comment

A job well done!
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by chasharman
                              Thanks for the link Nev, I wish I had known that sooner. It might inspire me to keep my truck a little longer to see if I can fix the problem.

Is it possible that this sensor only measures the increase in speed of the crank or "raised lump on power steering pulley" instead of, say for example, a pre-determined point on the crank ?????

I think it would be almost impossible for a mechanic, (even a really good one) to work out the speed ratios of the crank and transfer it to the P/S pulley with a chisel mark.

Does anyone out there know for sure how this sensor works on this particular engine ???? Or has anyone else tried getting a signal for the sensor from any other part of the engine ????
                              Any comments would be gratefully accepted and digested.

Cheers guys.

Depends if you're standing in front of, or behind the vehicle!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X