Outer track rod end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stormforce1067
    i got one from halfords £16 i could of got a cheaper one but it would'nt fit behind the steering gear rod. i think the cheaper one was about £7
    Are the M.S.O.I open tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Sneaky buggers aren't they, those springs. My first attempt at putting it on was
      by pushing both ends of it outwards with my thumbs, thinking it'll open up and
      drop over the rubber. Big mistake. Ended up with both ends of it piercing the
      flesh on my thumb tips and then trying to extricate it from said flesh. Finally
      managed it with no rubber damage.
      i think that was how i split the rubber by the clip stabbing my thumbs but i never pulled both thumbs away at the same time and one end peirced the rubber.I did manage to do the inners outers and adjusters in about 30 minutes tho
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I did manage to do the inners outers and adjusters in about 30 minutes tho

You're making me feel so inadequate.

Comment

You're making me feel so inadequate.
          but that was only after i got the splitter.I had already tried it with a hammer but i wont say how long i was trying that for

Comment

but that was only after i got the splitter.I had already tried it with a hammer but i wont say how long i was trying that for
            We're back on par for the moment, then.

Comment

We're back on par for the moment, then.
              Yea i was determined that i would do them using the hammer but after trying both sides for some time i gave up and went for the easy and quickest option in the end and then was wondering why i never just went out and bought one to start off with

Comment

How to look like a prat in three easy steps.

1) Spend several hours trying to hammer out a track rod end.
                2) Phone a mechanic and ask if you can borrow their joint splitter, to which they answer: Give the housing that the track rod taper goes through a good whack or
                two on the side and then whack the thread end of the rod. If that don't work, come
                and pick up the joint splitter.
                3) Give the housing two good whacks and one on the thread end and see it pop
                out.

I've got a right arm like Popeye from all the bashing I did earlier. Tried his method,
                three whacks and out it pops. Ever get the feeling...........? Just got to separate it
                from the tube now.

Comment

How to look like a prat in three easy steps.

1) Spend several hours trying to hammer out a track rod end.
                  2) Phone a mechanic and ask if you can borrow their joint splitter, to which they answer: Give the housing that the track rod taper goes through a good whack or
                  two on the side and then whack the thread end of the rod. If that don't work, come
                  and pick up the joint splitter.
                  3) Give the housing two good whacks and one on the thread end and see it pop
                  out.

I've got a right arm like Popeye from all the bashing I did earlier. Tried his method,
                  three whacks and out it pops. Ever get the feeling...........? Just got to separate it
                  from the tube now.
                  you'll have to work on the left arm now....
                  bet the tube will be tight as hell to undo or have you tried it already

Comment

Yea i was determined that i would do them using the hammer but after trying both sides for some time i gave up and went for the easy and quickest option in the end and then was wondering why i never just went out and bought one to start off with
                    As you can see above, the hammer worked. Wouldn't be so bad, but the only
                    reason I tried the method he mentioned is so I wouldn't feel guilty lying about
                    trying his method and it not working when I went to pick up the joint splitter.
                    Bugger. I'll definitely be picking up a joint splitter next week though. I know
                    full well I won't be lucky enough for that method to work again next time.

Comment

As you can see above, the hammer worked. Wouldn't be so bad, but the only
                      reason I tried the method he mentioned is so I wouldn't feel guilty lying about
                      trying his method and it not working when I went to pick up the joint splitter.
                      Bugger. I'll definitely be picking up a joint splitter next week though. I know
                      full well I won't be lucky enough for that method to work again next time.
                      wish i knew of that method b4 i spent £16

Comment

you'll have to work on the left arm now....
                        bet the tube will be tight as hell to undo or have you tried it already

Nope, not tried the tube yet. But I do vaguely seem to remember the words:
                        Stilsons, heat and grunting from previous posts mentioning them. So, in
                        true tradition, broken off for a cuppa before I go and try to dislocate my
                        shoulder.

Comment

Nope, not tried the tube yet. But I do vaguely seem to remember the words:
                          Stilsons, heat and grunting from previous posts mentioning them. So, in
                          true tradition, broken off for a cuppa before I go and try to dislocate my
                          shoulder.
                          i never bothered trying to get the tube off seeing as iwas replacing the inners aswell i put new tubes on as it was easier

Comment

i never bothered trying to get the tube off seeing as iwas replacing the inners aswell i put new tubes on as it was easier
                            Thought I'd try the masochist method first. Just going to try it now, so if you
                            haven't heard from me within an hour, you'll probably have a good idea how it's
                            progressing, (or rather, not progressing).

Comment

Thought I'd try the masochist method first. Just going to try it now, so if you
                              haven't heard from me within an hour, you'll probably have a good idea how it's
                              progressing, (or rather, not progressing).
                              fingers crossed

Comment

This what I use.....
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X