Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer track rod end

Just a quick stupid question. Does the front need jacking up to replace
    the track rod end, or can it be done with all wheels planted on the floor?

Originally posted by MattF
    Just a quick stupid question. Does the front need jacking up to replace
    the track rod end, or can it be done with all wheels planted on the floor?
    done my inners and outers with it on the ground
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
      done my inners and outers with it on the ground
      Nice. Cheers Richard.

Comment

Right. Just made a start on doing it. Leaving the inner bolted up, does the
        outer normally require quite a bit of force and hammering to get the bolt
        out of the assembly behind the wheel, or should it come out fairly easily?
        Just double checking as to force required and best method before I risk
        damaging something.

Cheers.

Comment

Right. Just made a start on doing it. Leaving the inner bolted up, does the
          outer normally require quite a bit of force and hammering to get the bolt
          out of the assembly behind the wheel, or should it come out fairly easily?
          Just double checking as to force required and best method before I risk
          damaging something.

Cheers.
          i used a ball joint extractor but even so it took a fair bit of tightening to get the ball joint to crack off.I did try using a hammer to start with but they still wouldnt budge so bought the extractor instead

Comment

i used a ball joint extractor but even so it took a fair bit of tightening to get the ball joint to crack off.I did try using a hammer to start with but they still wouldnt budge so bought the extractor instead
            Oh good. I thought it was me that was just hammering like a wuss. Pickle
            fork or the other type? Cheers once again Richard. Does the new one go
            in easier than the removal, BTW?

Comment

I use the screw type, less damage to the rubber dust cap. Yes, the new one goes on much much easier than the old one coming off.

Dab a paint mark on the shaft where the old one was before removing, then screw the new one on and stop at the mark. Wire brush the threads too.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Dab a paint mark on the shaft where the old one was before removing, then screw the new one on and stop at the mark. Wire brush the threads too.
                So that the same amount of the new rod extends from the tube? Why wire
                brush the threads?

Comment

Yep.
                  I wire brush the threads just to clean all the c rap off then thats all, nothing technical.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Yep.
                    I wire brush the threads just to clean all the c rap off then thats all, nothing technical.
                    Good. Thought I was missing something. One other quickie, ( question ),
                    the new rod comes with that little spring clip thing to put around the top of the
                    rubber in the bag. Are they pre-greased, or do you have to pop some in the
                    boot before fitting? ( I really can make a simple task hard ).

Comment

All the rod ends I've bought in the past come ready to screw on, if that helps.

Comment

Good. Thought I was missing something. One other quickie, ( question ),
                        the new rod comes with that little spring clip thing to put around the top of the
                        rubber in the bag. Are they pre-greased, or do you have to pop some in the
                        boot before fitting? ( I really can make a simple task hard ).
                        i bought mine from roughtrax three of them had the springs already on but one of the outers never but just be careful putting the spring on i split a rubber doing mine but i managed to get a old one off to replace it

Comment

I'll leave it well alone then. I've fitted the metal clip spring thingy, but I have a
                          bad tendency to overly worry and triple check everything.

Just got to figure out who I can collar a joint splitter off now. Sod's law one
                          always picks a Bank Holiday weekend to start a job for which one needs bits.

Cheers.

Comment

I'll leave it well alone then. I've fitted the metal clip spring thingy, but I have a
                            bad tendency to overly worry and triple check everything.

Just got to figure out who I can collar a joint splitter off now. Sod's law one
                            always picks a Bank Holiday weekend to start a job for which one needs bits.

Cheers.
                            i got one from halfords £16 i could of got a cheaper one but it would'nt fit behind the steering gear rod. i think the cheaper one was about £7

Comment

i bought mine from roughtrax three of them had the springs already on but one of the outers never but just be careful putting the spring on i split a rubber doing mine but i managed to get a old one off to replace it
                              Sneaky buggers aren't they, those springs. My first attempt at putting it on was
                              by pushing both ends of it outwards with my thumbs, thinking it'll open up and
                              drop over the rubber. Big mistake. Ended up with both ends of it piercing the
                              flesh on my thumb tips and then trying to extricate it from said flesh. Finally
                              managed it with no rubber damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X