Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mazuki
    hi bob
    thank you for your help, if the crank is a different size l assume the starter ring off the auto box wont bolt up and hence the torque converter? if thats so its the end of the road regaurding converting that engine to auto l think.
    however l still want to go auto, looking at options
    1 - sell my engine and buy a surf diesel engine ( how much ? )
    2 - buy a damaged/rolled surf take the body off and fit my hilux body ( assumeing the body mouts are the same/close )
    3 - give up with diesel and fit a lexus v8 complete with autobox ( not so expensive as the first 2 as l already have soarer with back end damage parked in the back yard.

its got to be auto and a pickup, how do l get there ?
    you suggestions would be valued
    many thanks
    andy
    Assuming it's physically possible, I think everyone will agree that the third option is by far the best.

Comment

hi sancho

the third option is more than possible, in fact its well documented and all the parts are available " off the shelf " engine mounts adaptor plates etc
      have a look at www.lextreme.com goto forums then conversions 4x4,
      they seem to like them over there. the biggest draw back is it will take my hilux off the road for weeks, gear box swap l could do over the weekend.
      l supose l could try and find a 3lt surf to tool around in and take my hilux off the road and do it properly.
      pic of 4lt v8 hilux engine bay attached

thanks andy
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi l have a nice cheap 3litre V6 1994 4Runner with gas on if your interested taxed and tested.
        Live Life To The Full

Comment

hi bob

would this be manual or auto?

Comment

hi bob

would this be manual or auto?
            Hi it is a manual gearbox.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Hilux; 26 July 2006, 15:40.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

hi bob

thanks for the offer, if it had been auto l might have been tempted, but l am trying to get away from a manual. have we definatley decided that this auto box wont fit on the back of my hilux engine, if so whats not right is it the bolt
              patten for the flywheel/starter ring or the shape of the bell houseing/engine block. is there an early version of a surf diesel thats not ecu controled, might an auto box of one fit my hilux. l only ask because there is a surf on ebay item no 320009026008 thats described as a 2lt diesel with auto box, or is this just a misprint and its a 2.5 lt.assuming l cant use the auto box ( which sounds likely ) my next choice would be to used my lexus engine/box, but as l would not want to take my hilux off the road for 6 months l think l should go and buy a rolling chassis have it blasted, powder coated etc fit engine/box etc and then fit my hilux body ( or buy another ). do you break surfs would you have a rolling chassis?

thanks andy

Comment

hi bob

thanks for the offer, if it had been auto l might have been tempted, but l am trying to get away from a manual. have we definatley decided that this auto box wont fit on the back of my hilux engine, if so whats not right is it the bolt
                patten for the flywheel/starter ring or the shape of the bell houseing/engine block. is there an early version of a surf diesel thats not ecu controled, might an auto box of one fit my hilux. l only ask because there is a surf on ebay item no 320009026008 thats described as a 2lt diesel with auto box, or is this just a misprint and its a 2.5 lt.assuming l cant use the auto box ( which sounds likely ) my next choice would be to used my lexus engine/box, but as l would not want to take my hilux off the road for 6 months l think l should go and buy a rolling chassis have it blasted, powder coated etc fit engine/box etc and then fit my hilux body ( or buy another ). do you break surfs would you have a rolling chassis?

thanks andy
                It's a 2.4 (It's got a cracked head, gotta be). I think it may have just a touch of the saggy @rse about it too.

If Bob can't help you, these might be helpful:

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=23958&page=5
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...420#post209420

Comment

Working...
                X