Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hilux gearbox conversion

hi all
    l am wanting to convert my manual 2.4 t diesel hilux to auto, l have aquired an auto gearbox but on examination l find that it should have a control unit
    "ect" ? . will the auto box work without this? default mode perhaps ? or do l need to buy some more "bits". how many inputs/sensors does the control box require, bearing in mind the engine was connected to a manual box, am missing any bits such as kickdown cable linkage etc. any help or suggestions
    will be gratefully recieved
    thanks andy

Originally posted by mazuki
    hi all
    l am wanting to convert my manual 2.4 t diesel hilux to auto, l have aquired an auto gearbox but on examination l find that it should have a control unit
    "ect" ? . will the auto box work without this? default mode perhaps ? or do l need to buy some more "bits". how many inputs/sensors does the control box require, bearing in mind the engine was connected to a manual box, am missing any bits such as kickdown cable linkage etc. any help or suggestions
    will be gratefully recieved
    thanks andy
    hi mate and welcome,

i hate to put a damper on things for you in your gearbox change...but i think to change a gearbox is not very simple as iam sure that the cranks on the engines are diffrent for a start, iam not sure about the con box but would have thought it will need it if its on there on a stock fitment....

good luck hope all goes well.....
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

mazuki have a word with hilux ( Bob) for a small fee he can sort u out with a lot of the parts u will need. He always has everything i need and the price is always right.

good look
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

hi again

what would be different on the crank? my hilux started life as a 2.2 petrol, couldent get that out quick enough ( nothing wrong with it just loved petrol to much ) bought a 2.4 turbo diesel which at the time was still in a london taxi, compared it ( externally )to a surf and it seems identical, which is why l bought a surf auto box. most impressed with the engine just got to get rid of that gear stick and 3rd pedal now.
        how would l get in touch with hilux bob ?

many thanks andy

Comment

Look up hilux in the members list and send him a e mail that should do it
          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

hi again

what would be different on the crank? my hilux started life as a 2.2 petrol, couldent get that out quick enough ( nothing wrong with it just loved petrol to much ) bought a 2.4 turbo diesel which at the time was still in a london taxi, compared it ( externally )to a surf and it seems identical, which is why l bought a surf auto box. most impressed with the engine just got to get rid of that gear stick and 3rd pedal now.
            how would l get in touch with hilux bob ?

many thanks andy
            i have seen it on here somewhere before about the cranks being diffrent depending wot box u have, but for sure speak to somebody with more info than i like hilux bob he will put you straight iam sure....
            CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

conversion

Hi you have me baffaled at the moment???, what make of engine did you get out of the London taxi what year was the taxi as the only jap diesel engine l know that was put in the London Taxi,s was a nissan 2.7 turbo. Please give more info before you buy anthing else.
              Live Life To The Full

Comment

hi bob

later versions of the black cab used a toyota 2.4 turbo diesel, 2 wheel drive
                obviously. or so l was told, but it was in a black cab honest,l had to use the bell houseing of the 2wd box and then it bolted up to my petrol gearbox.
                if l new how to post pics l would, or l could email you some, just to be sure l have a toyota engine, but it would not have fitted if it was nissan would it ?
                its got 2lt turbo on top of the engine, l really am impressed at the way it goes compared to the petrol engine l took out.
                so what do you think, will it be possible to convert to auto, or have l wasted my money rushing out and buying the gearbox before consulting
                cheers andy

Comment

2lt

Hi Andy try and fathom out how to put some pictures on, you say its in and running, did you just buy the engine or did you get an "ECU" with it and part of the wireing loom. Sorry mate but l need mor info and something to look at.
                  Live Life To The Full

Comment

hi bob
                    l bought the engine and box, it came out of 2001 metro cab ( not fx4 ) that had a burnt out interior, up till 2000 they used transit engines then switched to toyota from 2001 onwards. there was no ecu involved anywhere, injection pump is operated by original cable on hilux, the old coil feed 12v is connected to the solenoid on the fuel injection pump, starter connected as was, oil/water senders connected as was. where does a ecu come in to it on a diesel?. l understand what a ecu does on a petrol engine, injector duration, ign timing etc etc., but dont see why a diesel would need one. l have just taken pics of the engine in my hilux, l will try to post them later
                    many thanks andy

Comment

hilux engine ( maybe !)
                      Attached Files

Comment

yip, looks like a hilux. The nissan 2.7 has an intercooler. You seem to be doing fine if its running, then whats the problem? The ecu on the toyota derv seems nes as it has an electronic controlled fuel distribution system. Hence no timing pins on pump, cam and crank? The ecu will also house the the chip for the ect
                        What comes around goes around!!

Comment

hilux engine ( maybe !)
                          Hi deffo not an "TE" engine it must have the manual injecter pump that runs off the crank pully timing and not the electronic timing ie "ECU" l doubt you will be abel to put a auto box on that engine as the size of the crank will be different. Plus you would need the wireing loom from the box to the engine and the "ECU". lt is always easier to convert from auto to manual but not the other way to much hassel, l would proberly have most if not all of the bits you would need to change over to auto, but it would be easier to sell your vehicle and buy an auto surf. AND CHEAPER
                          Last edited by Hilux; 25 July 2006, 23:27.
                          Live Life To The Full

Comment

hi gazbo
                            no problem, the hilux runs/drives really well but l really wanted to go auto, but if the chipset for the ect is in the ecu which l dont have, then its not looking hopefull.
                            thanks andy

Comment

hi bob
                              thank you for your help, if the crank is a different size l assume the starter ring off the auto box wont bolt up and hence the torque converter? if thats so its the end of the road regaurding converting that engine to auto l think.
                              however l still want to go auto, looking at options
                              1 - sell my engine and buy a surf diesel engine ( how much ? )
                              2 - buy a damaged/rolled surf take the body off and fit my hilux body ( assumeing the body mouts are the same/close )
                              3 - give up with diesel and fit a lexus v8 complete with autobox ( not so expensive as the first 2 as l already have soarer with back end damage parked in the back yard.

its got to be auto and a pickup, how do l get there ?
                              you suggestions would be valued
                              many thanks
                              andy

Comment

Working...
                              X