Own an Lexsurf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own an Lexsurf??

I bought Lexsurf v recently and got 19mpg on the motorway on a 135 mile trip since then i have realised my overdrive wasn't on so perhaps that figure could be 22mpg

Around town i am mortified to only be getting 8mpg i jus put 30 litres in and have only got 55 miles for it

i cannot and will not drive a vehicle only getting 8mpg (there has to be a limit)

Can anyone make any suggestions??

thanks
    alex
    Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
    I bought Lexsurf v recently and got 19mpg on the motorway on a 135 mile trip since then i have realised my overdrive wasn't on so perhaps that figure could be 22mpg

Around town i am mortified to only be getting 8mpg i jus put 30 litres in and have only got 55 miles for it

i cannot and will not drive a vehicle only getting 8mpg (there has to be a limit)

SMILE WHEN YOU DRIVE, IGNORE YOUR WALLET
    thanks
    alex
    im sorry, but dont have one jet, so no idea about that, and that will be last thing for me to think about when i got it, yes poco coco, pero loco
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
      im sorry, but dont have one jet, so no idea about that, and that will be last thing for me to think about when i got it, yes poco coco, pero loco
      I am still smiling just about lol but I was told 15mpg around town which is wat I was expecting with the Lexus lump and the 33s and suspension lift

I know the diffs have lsd's in them and we're regeared with taller gears so revs stay lower on the motorway, but does that mean the engine has to work harder to push it at low speeds?

Comment

did you ask andy? (growler)
        i wonder how it would be that with a supercharger, i mean MPG
        the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
          did you ask andy? (growler)
          i wonder how it would be that with a supercharger, i mean MPG
          I haven't spoke to him since he originally mentioned it got around 15-18 around town, I'm not sure these 3.42 diffs are the best thing for around town I have to really put my foot down to get it going and for an engine putting out 250-280bhp it shouldn't be the case

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post

thanks
            alex
            Yes, sell it and buy a diesel Surf.

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
              Yes, sell it and buy a diesel Surf.
              Nah I had a diesel surf, petrol time this time...... I think lol

Comment

You bought a lexsurf, with the aerodynamics of a 3 bedroom semi and you expect to get more than 8 to the gallon around town, lol.
                I'm confused at why you cannot and will not drive anything that does 8mpg around town.
                My Dodge Charger only does 10mpg around town, I don't see it as a problem, in fact I enjoy driving it.
                Perhaps it's time for a Prius, lol

No offence meant but a V8 in a lifted Surf with oversized tyres is never going to economical

Comment

Although it's got 8 cylinders which consumed a lot of fuel and eats small children I think 8mpg seems a tad on the low side, even the rover v8 does better than that and its probably one of the most unrefined v8 out there.
                  I've had minimal experience with the Lexus lump though so take what I say with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                    You bought a lexsurf, with the aerodynamics of a 3 bedroom semi and you expect to get more than 8 to the gallon around town, lol.
                    I'm confused at why you cannot and will not drive anything that does 8mpg around town.
                    My Dodge Charger only does 10mpg around town, I don't see it as a problem, in fact I enjoy driving it.
                    Perhaps it's time for a Prius, lol

No offence meant but a V8 in a lifted Surf with oversized tyres is never going to economical
                    Yea I get it rebel I've seen it all before, can't afford the petrol don't get a v8 I understand, but when I looked into lexsurf it seemed current owners sad the mpg was no worse than there diesel friends and for a lifted version would drop to 15 mine does neither of those figures

Also wat I meant by cannot and will not is this is my daily driver and I can afford 15mpg but I can't afford 8mpg ( well I can but it's gonna munch other budgets)

Comment

Originally posted by Wølf View Post
                      Although it's got 8 cylinders which consumed a lot of fuel and eats small children I think 8mpg seems a tad on the low side, even the rover v8 does better than that and its probably one of the most unrefined v8 out there.
                      I've had minimal experience with the Lexus lump though so take what I say with a pinch of salt.
                      I'm inclined to agree with u wolf, 8mpg sounds a little odd for the refined lexus lump, when I hear 8mpg it makes me think of a 1967 Mustang

Comment

Just spoken to West coast 4x4, they said that my lsd's are no doubt causing high revs around town as the engine struggles to push the truck to cruising speed..... Great

Comment

technically i dont own a lexsurf as i did it myself, but that is another story on another thread!

im surprised you get 22mpg. mine is LPGed and get about 190 miles on a 80ltr tank at a cost of 51p /litre. if you look up lexus figures it says it is average 14 mpg? with high gearing its like starting in 2nd or 3rd so even if the revs are low its working very hard to get the power. you should have 4.88s with 33s. i have 4.55s with mine just get away with it. plus you are nearly 2000kgs so it isnt light. i have never really got over 17 or 18mpg with mine but that isnt the point. in my opinion the 3ltr diesel is probably the best for on and off road.
                          Last edited by dannyboy77; 15 February 2016, 14:42.
                          http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
                            technically i dont own a lexsurf as i did it myself, but that is another story on another thread!

im surprised you get 22mpg. mine is LPGed and get about 190 miles on a 80ltr tank at a cost of 51p /litre. if you look up lexus figures it says it is average 14 mpg? with high gearing its like starting in 2nd or 3rd so even if the revs are low its working very hard to get the power. you should have 4.88s with 33s. i have 4.55s with mine just get away with it. plus you are nearly 2000kgs so it isnt light. i have never really got over 17 or 18mpg with mine but that isnt the point. in my opinion the 3ltr diesel is probably the best for on and off road.
                            Yea I'm no where near 4.88 I have 3.42 and I think the reason I got 19mpg on the motorway was simply because of that diff but I don't really travel on the motorway so not really fussed about maximum mpg when Im on it, I'd much prefer around town to be a diddle than to be like u said pulling away in 3rd

Comment

I can only speak from my own experience with this truck and have to say I only topped up the tank around every 190-200 miles, which on a 60 litre tank is approx 15 mpg by my reckoning, it would go further on motorway runs.

If the diffs are a real concern. it should be a simple enough job to locate a matched axle and diff from a gen 2 and swap them straight in. You can then sell on the LSD's, there's a lof of off roaders that would take them, and cover your costa, if not make a small profit at the same time

Comment

Working...
                              X