Own an Lexsurf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
    according to google the surf is 1850kg and the LS400 is 1750kg, so not a lot of difference

get my missus in the surf and me in the LS and the lexus weighs more
    As I said above-with the 1uz-fe engine fitted its roughly the same weight.
    I think it does have a diagnostic plug, but don't know if yours was kept as part of the conversion.
    If you aren't already a member, you'd do well to join Lextreme - lots of info for the 1uz-fe on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
      As I said above-with the 1uz-fe engine fitted its roughly the same weight.
      I think it does have a diagnostic plug, but don't know if yours was kept as part of the conversion.
      If you aren't already a member, you'd do well to join Lextreme - lots of info for the 1uz-fe on there.
      Yea I'm gonna join up, cheers
      Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

it depends if the lamda sensors are connected and working? if you look on the exhaust manifold you should see a hex bolt with wires thats the sensor. if you unscrew it and see if the lamda sensor is there as i have had some 'blow' off. if this is the case it will run in default limp mode.
        onn the engine near the engine inlet manifold there is a diagnostic block (will have to post the factory spec manual) and you get a reading on your multimeter between 0-1 think 0.3 is OK but wil have to look at the FSM.
        http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55797

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
          it depends if the lamda sensors are connected and working? if you look on the exhaust manifold you should see a hex bolt with wires thats the sensor. if you unscrew it and see if the lamda sensor is there as i have had some 'blow' off. if this is the case it will run in default limp mode.
          onn the engine near the engine inlet manifold there is a diagnostic block (will have to post the factory spec manual) and you get a reading on your multimeter between 0-1 think 0.3 is OK but wil have to look at the FSM.
          OK I'll check this stuff out, cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy77 View Post
            Oh I forgot to say It idles high in neutral and park and dips down to wat I think is normal when put in drive, if that helps any diagnosis???? Cheers

Comment

Fast idle.

I seem to remember many years ago a car mag testing a Mercedes with a hefty V8 and auto trans. It was heavy on petrol (long before silly fuel prices) and they remarked on the fact it was 2 mpg better than the outgoing (2 year old) model just by Mercedes dropping the idle speed by 450 revs!

Comment

Originally posted by Tankerman View Post
                I seem to remember many years ago a car mag testing a Mercedes with a hefty V8 and auto trans. It was heavy on petrol (long before silly fuel prices) and they remarked on the fact it was 2 mpg better than the outgoing (2 year old) model just by Mercedes dropping the idle speed by 450 revs!
                Cool, so now to get the lexsurf idling at 100rpm lol I could save like 4mpg Haha

Comment

.....looks like ill have a pair of TrueTracs for sale in the near future so if your interested in them let me know and ill place a forum ad
                  If they fitted a 3rd gen I'd be delighted.. but the front is definitely different, I suspect the rear might be too.
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    If they fitted a 3rd gen I'd be delighted.. but the front is definitely different, I suspect the rear might be too.
                    ahhhh ok yea your right there both different, oh well thats a shame

Comment

I would definitely retain the LSD and get it re-geared though if I was you.

I have genuine issues pulling out of T junctions if joining a faster road.. especially if you have a little lift which increases the lateral weigh shifting.

Daft question, but no one seems to have mentioned it...

Have you checked plugs/leads/air leaks/afm is clean etc?

Maybe fuel system cleaner, checking the compression etc. From reading posts it sounds like a well looked after truck so I'm sure that's not the case... but if anything it'll help you get familiar with your new truck.
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

I would definitely retain the LSD and get it re-geared though if I was you.

I have genuine issues pulling out of T junctions if joining a faster road.. especially if you have a little lift which increases the lateral weigh shifting.

Daft question, but no one seems to have mentioned it...

Have you checked plugs/leads/air leaks/afm is clean etc?

Maybe fuel system cleaner, checking the compression etc. From reading posts it sounds like a well looked after truck so I'm sure that's not the case... but if anything it'll help you get familiar with your new truck.
                        when you say genuine issues do you mean wheel spin?

no havent checked the plugs etc yet, i checked the oil the other week and it wasn't even black so perhaps has had a service recently, i certainly don't have a reason to think the engine is running improper as it certainly sounds fine but think i will give it a full service just for the sake of it and maybe get some redex

I would also like to keep the lsd's as there a fine addition to any off roading car but i have a feeling regearing 2 lsd's will cost 10x the amount of sourcing stock diffs and fitting them, i wouldn't even know who could provide that service a quick google search came up with not a lot

i noticed you live fairly close to me, i would love to meet up one day even if its in a tesco car park just to compare lexsurfs?

Comment

couple of phone calls later and a search of a yank website looks like it'll cost around the £700 mark to get the diffs regeared to 4.88 with the lsd's

only £300 approx more than it would cost to find and fit stock diffs

Comment

Yup, "one tyre fire" wheel spin.. I lift off as soon as possible.. put my foot down again and it starts again...

It's always the same junction, single track lane with loose debris/ gravel on it pulling onto an A road.. pull away slowly and you are at the mercy of oncoming traffic.. too fast and you acceleration is lost in noise... think you are clever by crawling up then putting more power on once you have started moving and the lean still causes it...

It's so bad I swear people think I'm doing it deliberately if It's damp I pop it into 4wd before I get there... the joys of having a centre diff.

Yup, I've never actually seen another V8 surf.. so it would be interesting to see one up close and personal.
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

couple of phone calls later and a search of a yank website looks like it'll cost around the £700 mark to get the diffs regeared to 4.88 with the lsd's

only £300 approx more than it would cost to find and fit stock diffs
                              It'll pick up speed very swiftly on 4.88s.

What sites have you found for supplying gears?

Mine added up to over 770 plus another £105 shipping on lowrangeoffroad.com... and that's before I get hit by tax...

Not including the actual trutracs themselves!
                              More Lift.
                              More Tyres.
                              More Engine.

Comment

It'll pick up speed very swiftly on 4.88s.

What sites have you found for supplying gears?

Mine added up to over 770 plus another £105 shipping on lowrangeoffroad.com... and that's before I get hit by tax...

Not including the actual trutracs themselves!
                                For yukon gears i found http://www.gearsandlockers.com

and nitro gears (who are cheaper) i found http://www.justdifferentials.com

i have a friend in north carolina im hoping i could send them to him and he could sort me out with a decent postal service and take all the invoices off so customs MAY (and thats a big MAY) be fooled into not charging full import tax

Preston transmissions who west coast 4x4 use, quoted me £150 per diff to put it all together

Comment

Working...
                                X