No announcement yet.

Own an Lexsurf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well,i know i guy who has a soarer lump in a cut down surf ,with a full steel wrap around exo-cage,(so a fair lump of metal) and he's getting diesel mileage out of it. i believe he runs 33's.
    8 mpg seems a bit harsh,tbh. ive been in a LS400, with 4 other guy's, driving around the back roads of Leicester, and the car was returning an indicated 24.9 mpg. i'm in the process of doing a conversion myself, i sure as hell wouldn't be doing it if i thought the fuel consumption was that excessive!

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
      I can only speak from my own experience with this truck and have to say I only topped up the tank around every 190-200 miles, which on a 60 litre tank is approx 15 mpg by my reckoning, it would go further on motorway runs.

If the diffs are a real concern. it should be a simple enough job to locate a matched axle and diff from a gen 2 and swap them straight in. You can then sell on the LSD's, there's a lof of off roaders that would take them, and cover your costa, if not make a small profit at the same time
      was that 200 miles to a tank mixed motorway and town miles?

i think i will be looking at the possibility of finding some stock diffs i think the 3.42 diffs now are just not suited for the roads i use 90% of the time.

yea im hoping selling the lsds will silence the missus lol
      Yes it's a V8, don't you know I'm loco?

Comment

Originally posted by scott-lee View Post
        well,i know i guy who has a soarer lump in a cut down surf ,with a full steel wrap around exo-cage,(so a fair lump of metal) and he's getting diesel mileage out of it. i believe he runs 33's.
        8 mpg seems a bit harsh,tbh. ive been in a LS400, with 4 other guy's, driving around the back roads of Leicester, and the car was returning an indicated 24.9 mpg. i'm in the process of doing a conversion myself, i sure as hell wouldn't be doing it if i thought the fuel consumption was that excessive!
        yea i knew the mpg wouldn't be as good as when it was in an ls400 and i knew lifting it and having 33s would reduce it even more but i never banked on 8

perhaps a full service and some new spark plug will help

Comment

yeah Im getting 6mpg, but I have 35s and no 2nd gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Reece2.4 View Post
            yeah Im getting 6mpg, but I have 35s and no 2nd gear.
            Ouch lol

Comment

I'd say it depends entirely on how you drive.

My configuration is slightly different, but if I pootle along the motorway I can see a tank average 30MPG... I have also seen a tank average of 12.. because I was putting my foot down every few seconds for glorious noise. (33s, stock 3rd Gen dieseasal gearing)

Yes aerodynamics are poor... yes our trucks are heavy... but an LS400 is heavier (99 LS vs 96 surf)... as suggested if fuel economy is a high priority, you have bought the wrong vehicle.

I can't see LSDs altering fuel economy hugely... (didn't that one have front and rear TruTracs?).. running an open diff at the back of a V8 surf isn't fun.
              More Lift.
              More Tyres.
              More Engine.

Comment

Around 8mpg is what I was getting from a 1968 Buick Rivera big block 430inch so your mpg sounds s little wrong, but as said these trucks have the aero-dynamics of a wall brick so don't expect great mileage for your buck,
                if fuel mileage is your main concern get a small family car (like I may have to soon)
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                  I'd say it depends entirely on how you drive.

My configuration is slightly different, but if I pootle along the motorway I can see a tank average 30MPG... I have also seen a tank average of 12.. because I was putting my foot down every few seconds for glorious noise. (33s, stock 3rd Gen dieseasal gearing)

Yes aerodynamics are poor... yes our trucks are heavy... but an LS400 is heavier (99 LS vs 96 surf)... as suggested if fuel economy is a high priority, you have bought the wrong vehicle.

I can't see LSDs altering fuel economy hugely... (didn't that one have front and rear TruTracs?).. running an open diff at the back of a V8 surf isn't fun.
                  please understand im not another delusional v8 owner hoping for 30mpg but i don't think 15mpg is too much to ask for (from the ls lump anyway)

my driving style is very relaxed im not the thrashing type being old bill my job could be on the line if i get done for speeding etc

yes it has front and rear trutracs its not the lsd's im suggesting are having an adverse effect but the 3.42 diff which are very tall i don't think toyota even went that tall on any of there surf variants

for example with stock gearing you may stay between 1k-2k revs as you go from 0-30mph i feel like the engine is closer to 3k and thats jus to 20mph although my rev gauge says im at 1200rpm so i think thats out

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    Around 8mpg is what I was getting from a 1968 Buick Rivera big block 430inch so your mpg sounds s little wrong, but as said these trucks have the aero-dynamics of a wall brick so don't expect great mileage for your buck,
                    if fuel mileage is your main concern get a small family car (like I may have to soon)
                    fuel mileage is not my main concern i jus sold a 40mpg VW passat to buy the lexsurf so im not bothered by spending for extra fuel, the smile on my face when i look and hear her far outweighs the cons of bad mpg but i have to have a limit of how low im willing it to be

LPG is looking very appealing at the moment, yes ill probably only get 6mpg with it but £70ish for 140L sounds good

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
                      fuel mileage is not my main concern i jus sold a 40mpg VW passat to buy the lexsurf so im not bothered by spending for extra fuel, the smile on my face when i look and hear her far outweighs the cons of bad mpg but i have to have a limit of how low im willing it to be

LPG is looking very appealing at the moment, yes ill probably only get 6mpg with it but £70ish for 140L sounds good
                      Just had quick look at vehicle weights.
                      LS400 kerb weight is 1705kg approx. Engine is 175kg approx.
                      Surf kerb weight is 1850kg approx. With the 1uz-fe engine
                      in the surf the weight is getting very close to that of the LS400.
                      Saying that then, the 2 big differences (assuming the autobox
                      from the LS is used) are aerodynamics and rear diff.
                      I don't know what mpg the LS gets, but the small amount I've
                      driven my Lexurf, I got around 200 miles on 11 gallons. So 18mpg approx.
                      This is standard KZN130 diffs and 31" muds.
                      It really seems to me that there is something telling it to run rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
                        LS400 kerb weight is 1705kg approx. Engine is 175kg approx.
                        Surf kerb weight is 1850kg approx. With the 1uz-fe engine
                        hmmmm maybe, i know ls400 owners boast quite impressive figures for a v8, whats a common way of finding out if its running rich? are the ls engines modern enough to have diagnostic plugs?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ultimagtr21 View Post
                          LS400 kerb weight is 1705 kg approx. Engine is 175 kg approx.
                          Surf kerb weight is 1850 kg approx. With the 1uz-fe engine
                          what's the kgs of the surf? its heavier than the 1uz
                          the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKzn130 View Post
                            please understand im not another delusional v8 owner hoping for 30mpg but i don't think 15mpg is too much to ask for (from the ls lump anyway)

my driving style is very relaxed im not the thrashing type being old bill my job could be on the line if i get done for speeding etc

yes it has front and rear trutracs its not the lsd's im suggesting are having an adverse effect but the 3.42 diff which are very tall i don't think toyota even went that tall on any of there surf variants

for example with stock gearing you may stay between 1k-2k revs as you go from 0-30mph i feel like the engine is closer to 3k and thats jus to 20mph although my rev gauge says im at 1200rpm so i think thats out
                            I guess it depends where as much as how... if you are entirely town based with lots of stopping and starting, the taller gearing will, obviously be worse.

These are my ratios, stock final drive (4.1), and factory gearbox, on 33s. if it helps.

Ratio Calculator

The calculator might be handy for you.

I "feel" first is too tall, but 4th could be taller when cruising... I can't decide between 4.3 or 4.56.

At the end of the day you have bought a vehicle modified to an individual's preference, I vaguely recall the post with the ratio swap (hence remembering TruTracs, I also want these) and it was deemed to be much more comfortable for cruising.

Everything is interchangeable at the end of the day! It's yours now to alter as you please.
                            Last edited by Karma Supra; 17 February 2016, 17:52.
                            More Lift.
                            More Tyres.
                            More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                              I guess it depends where as much as how... if you are entirely town based with lots of stopping and starting, the taller gearing will, obviously be worse.

These are my ratios, stock final drive (4.1), and factory gearbox, on 33s. if it helps.

Ratio Calculator

The calculator might be handy for you.

I "feel" first is too tall, but 4th could be taller when cruising... I can't decide between 4.3 or 4.56.

At the end of the day you have bought a vehicle modified to an individual's preference, I vaguely recall the post with the ratio swap (hence remembering TruTracs, I also want these) and it was deemed to be much more comfortable for cruising.

Everything is interchangeable at the end of the day! It's yours now to alter as you please.
                              yes i agree, when buying someone else's creation your bound to have parts you don't like.

this is the post your trying to recall http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=73011

well i will certainly bit looking to find the stock diffs which were 4.56 to replace so looks like ill have a pair of TrueTracs for sale in the near future so if your interested in them let me know and ill place a forum ad

Comment

Originally posted by budweiser View Post
                                what's the kgs of the surf? its heavier than the 1uz
                                according to google the surf is 1850kg and the LS400 is 1750kg, so not a lot of difference

get my missus in the surf and me in the LS and the lexus weighs more

Comment

Working...
                                X