Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me make my mind up??

Guys,

I am in a bit of a pickle....I am really interested in buying a Surf but am now torn between a Surf and a Volvo V70 I have been offered (both great for family/dogs/kayak/camping)...and the list goes on.

I need some sage advice to swing my mind.

I have had a V70 in the past and loved it but am looking for something different and I am sure a Surf will fit the bill. A friend of mine had a Surf about 4 years ago and also loved it and is convinced I will too...so there you go.

What are Surfs like to own as a family car, are they reliable etc....sorry for all the naff questions

Any advice will be most welcome.

Neil

Yes they are reliable as long as theyre looked after, alot of the issues are caused by off roading and lack of care. They have brilliant boots, easy to drive and most parts are available.

You also get the added bonus of endless help and support on this forum and you can drive the surf across any fields to your desired campsite.

And you have already joined this forum so decision is made.
    well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Get the Volvo.

Comment

Forgot to add, this is what I have got my eye on at the min...1994 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Limited 3.0TD...is this a KZN130?

What would be a fair price for it? The chap is asking for £1500 ono

Well maintained with approx 120k miles on the clock but in need of a bit of cosmetic work
        Last edited by MSKsurf; 10 September 2012, 20:24.

Comment

Originally posted by MSKsurf View Post
          Forgot to add, this is what I have got my eye on at the min...1994 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X Limited 3.0TD KZN130.

What would be a fair price for it?

Well maintained with approx 120k miles on the clock but in need of a bit of cosmetic work
          Depends on how much cosmetic work needs doing.I think about £1500 to £1750
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            Depends on how much cosmetic work needs doing.I think about £1500 to £1750
            He is asking £1500 ono so it's in the ball park.

It needs a new rear bumper due to excess rust, plus the drivers side front and rear doors are rusted at the bottom sill area so might need replacing and that's about it he says.
            Last edited by MSKsurf; 10 September 2012, 20:27.

Comment

In that case knock the price down abit more then
              What colour is it.You should be able to get doors easy enough for it even if it means a day trip up to TonyN in Basingstoke and get them fitted at the same time if he has any in that is.The bumper i would probably get new from www.roughtrax4x4.com they cost a bit but worth it as you can't get the corner sections 2nd hand in good nick but may get a decent centre section though
              Last edited by stormforce; 10 September 2012, 20:31.
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

He is asking £1500 ono so it's in the ball park.

It needs a new rear bumper due to excess rust, plus the drivers side front and rear doors are rusted at the bottom sill area so might need replacing and that's about it he says.
                If it's that rusty, walk away.....There are better ones to be had at that price.
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Get the Volvo.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Get the Volvo.
                    Here
                    Brian

Comment

Yes the Volvo

Comment

Unless you're planning on driving off road, get the Volvo.

Comment

I am surprised by the reactions urging me to get the V70, but welcome the honest replies. I really like the look and rugged appeal of a Surf and am really torn between being sensible (head) and being a bit off the wall (heart)????

Comment

I am surprised by the reactions urging me to get the V70, but welcome the honest replies. I really like the look and rugged appeal of a Surf and am really torn between being sensible (head) and being a bit off the wall (heart)????
                            As 'loveable' as Surfs are I wouldn't class them as a daily driver, they're more of a second car/toy.

They're more of a mistress than a partner.

Comment

If you have family and do not tow a caravan get the Volvo.

Comment

Working...
                              X