More gearbox stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More gearbox stuff.

I put a thread up here a couple of months ago regarding an issue with my gearbox in my 3rd gen. I got some great tips, as well as a how-to guide for changing the fluid and cleaning the filter.

Unfortunately that didn't work.

I'll remind you here that I amn't in the least way mechanically minded.

If I was driving a manual I'd suggest that the clutch was slipping; it's very sluggish to pull off from a standing start and won't move until the revs are up a bit, but seems to be fine when I'm finally moving.

Some suggestions have been made, ranging from a loose kickdown cable to a knackered torque convertor to a problem with the clutch case.

I haven't found a price for a torque convertor, but the clutch case problems may cost a couple of thousand euros to rectify, making a second hand gearbox a less costly solution.

Does anyone know where I can find a torque convertor or gearbox second hand? If it does come down to a gearbox replacement, is there an updated auto box available that will fit to a 1kz-te engine (if I have to replace it, I may as well look at updating it, too).

Finally, is there something else which may have been missed, possibly a repeating problem with surfs?

I know that there are several gearbox threads around, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for.

Thanks.

D.

May be a stupid question but have you checked to make sure the brakes aren't binding ?

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
      May be a stupid question but have you checked to make sure the brakes aren't binding ?
      The handbrake cable was a bit sticky, but that was sorted out at the last service. We changed the ATF fluid and gave the filter several rinses with petrol until it was coming out clear. Back brakes were perfect, and front are just about due new pads. Disks were perfect.

Thanks for the suggestion; it's not something I would have thought of, but all of that was checked during a service 2 weeks ago.

The initial problem pretty much started overnight; drove fine on Sunday night but had issues Monday morning.

Comment

Checked the fluid level with the engine running?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Checked the fluid level with the engine running?
          I did. Also checked it both cold and warm on a level surface (made that mistake before checking engine oil on our sloped driveway!). Levels all looked good; slightly under the max level. Also made sure that we were using dextron II/III fluid.

Also no sign of leaks on the driveway surface overnight.

Comment

hey fey..if you dont get sorted i know where you can get an autobox or torque converter for it in galway...if you still have my number text me an ill send you the guys number

Comment

Thanks Dara. I'll give you a shout later on.

Comment

there is a guy near me with braking a 97 very low mileage engine, i can pass on the number if you are stuck, and im going to killrush on Friday
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

@ Dara; I can't get hold of you.

@ Budweiser; that'd be fantastic, thanks. My number is 087-9696-835 if you want to text me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks to Dara and Budweiser for all of their help.

Got a torque convertor from a guy Dara recommended earlier today.

It turned out that one of the guys in the garage was the guy who kicked my behind in a boxing match on Paddys weekend! Ain't it a small world?

Comment

Originally posted by Fey! View Post
                      Thanks to Dara and Budweiser for all of their help.

Got a torque convertor from a guy Dara recommended earlier today.

It turned out that one of the guys in the garage was the guy who kicked my behind in a boxing match on Paddys weekend! Ain't it a small world?
                      haha i take it you were fightin steven??he's only 23 or 24 ha.
                      did ollie sort you out wit the torque converter from the surf he has??

Comment

It was Steven alright; 30 seconds into the fight I was on my back, looking up at the ceiling asking "what the hell was that blue thing?". But I got up and went the distance.

I don't feel too bad as 2 weeks later he had a pro fight and KO'd the guy in the second round!

Ollie was great, and sorted me out without taking me to the cleaners.

Thanks again for giving me his number.

Comment

ya ollie is spot on to deal with if you've any probs wit the parts he'll take them back no problem as well..an his prices are good...iv been gettin stuff off him for yrs wen i had my vtec civics an my silvia etc

Comment

Working...
                          X