yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof rack plan, ideas and a couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
    That's interesting, until reading that I never rated the feet that go under the doors.

Slightly off topic, how did you find fuel availability over there? I'd love to do something along those lines, but wonder if a sub 20mpg Surf is the way to go, 300 or so clicks to a tank! I'd have to double tank it and carry a couple of Jerry cans.
    I carry cans but rarely need them in reality. You soon learn to fill up if you come across a station if you need fuel or not!
    Don't forget our trucks run on veg oil too so a local village shop can get you out the brown stuff. Plus if your off piste work out your milage and do the maths.
    Another pic...
    http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg741/sca...=640&ysize=640
    Last edited by Overland Tonka; 2 November 2011, 22:40.
    .... Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post
      I carry cans but rarely need them in reality. You soon learn to fill up if you come across a station if you need fuel or not!

Don't forget our trucks run on veg oil too so a local village shop can get you out the brown stuff. Plus if your off piste work out your milage and do the maths.

Another pic..

DSCN3985.JPG
      I know,i normally would not bother round europe,but I got a load of cheap derv in england ,and arranged to pick some more up in germany and poland off friends ,then we drove though russia for 2 weeks,so I was taking no chances and saving loads of cash
      Not going to rest till its broke

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
        Hey, Dodge. Lifted this from the Spanish site. It's another alternative.......http://www.4runnerforo.com/phpBB3/vi...php?f=7&t=4404.......Cheers.....Mick.
        Also, this........
        http://www.4runnerforo.com/phpBB3/vi...php?f=7&t=1856
        They look interesting, I'll have a good look thanks.

Originally posted by Overland Tonka View Post

Another pic..

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg741/sca...=640&ysize=640

DSCN3985.JPG
        Yeah, just handy for peace of mind.

I bet veg oil is cheaper everywhere other than the UK too.

Originally posted by 123-gtt View Post
        This one was took,on my first big trip away, with a sheet of wbp 18mm ply,33"wheel on top,60 lts of fuel, 20 lts water,waffel boards,high lift jack,and a big box full of camping stuff and the rack is just bolted on the roof on rubber pads,did the job nice
        That's proper loaded!

Originally posted by 123-gtt View Post
        I know,i normally would not bother round europe,but I got a load of cheap derv in england ,and arranged to pick some more up in germany and poland off friends ,then we drove though russia for 2 weeks,so I was taking no chances and saving loads of cash
        Sneaky.

Saving money is a must, sh!t I've just worked out I'd use a tank getting to Dover!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
          Shok-dude, Dodge is right on your points, the foot of the rack pushes down on the roof, the plate has to be welded to the roof if you fit it on the inside (or placed under the foot of the rack on the outside, which is actually what I had in my head, but mistyped.), or the whole thing will still push down and the plate will come away from the roof as it presses down.

I was rushing typing and didn't make it clear.

Its a pretty moot point for most people, this was a big ol' roof tent, fixed to some roof bars, that reasonable big guy sat in the back corner on and it flexed the roof in quite a bit.

No probs Tony I was trying to and failing to explain that the load of the rack has to be spread over a wide area.
          And my method of explanation is lost without a fag packet.
          Without knowing what weight the OP was carrying I assumed the worst.

I personally would and without prejudice or taking any form of responsibility would get 4 strips of something like 25mmx3mm strip probably about the length of the roof.
          With the lining dropped position and cut to length the four strips and using the strips long ways down the roof ,sandwich the roof between the strips drill through the strips and the roof and bolt into place using stainless dome headed bolts ,the heads inside and the thread pointing up and out of the truck.
          Some of the bolts could be cut short and using stainless dome nuts finished off the front bolts kept long and used for the front mounts and the rear ones kept long to use as the rear mounts .

Then the OP could make a roof rack that with the quick spin of a spanner on four or six bolts using the longer bolts as mounting studs.

If you like you could fabricate up a light bar for the front and use the bolts to secure it when the roof rack is not being used.

Just a suggestion
          Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
          X