yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof rack plan, ideas and a couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dodge View Post

I like the tread on the sidewall, don't know if it's the picture but they look huge, what size are they?
    They're 33's if memory serves

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      They're 33's if memory serves
      Yep, 33", but 13.5" wide rather than your girly 12.5's
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        Type Rivnuts into Google then click on images.
        My mistake. I was under the impression that when they were compressed, the shoulder spread out much further than that....... Sorry........
        " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          My mistake. I was under the impression that when they were compressed, the shoulder spread out much further than that....... Sorry........
          No appologies necessary, Rivnuts are good for basic fixing jobs, but I wouldn't trust them to secure a roof rack to thin sheet metal.

Comment

So, back on track has anyone removed a roof lining?

Comment

Pretty much everyone who has fitted roofbars. duh!

Comment

If you are getting wet you may as well do it properly.

Glentarkie earlier in the year

Brian

Comment

lol @ Vince.

Yeah, its a pain, but not difficult, the plastic push in retainers holding the back half up usually break or stretch unless you're really patient.

You need to remove all trim around doors, handles, seat belt upper bolts, etc....

Try and get the mounts on the lines at the edge of the roof for strength. I've found 'Penny' washers or bigger arn't enough if you plan on sitting directly on the rear mount, it still flexes unless you're really light weight. The next one I do will get quite a big plate on the inside.

If you have a sun roof you're quite restricted up the sides of it, measure carefully when planning where the feet go.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

So, back on track has anyone removed a roof lining?
                    Tony N / Maverick thread.............

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....74&postcount=1

Maybe this too......

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showpost....70&postcount=1
                    Last edited by MWS; 31 October 2011, 23:30.
                    " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                      lol @ Vince.

Yeah, its a pain, but not difficult, the plastic push in retainers holding the back half up usually break or stretch unless you're really patient.

You need to remove all trim around doors, handles, seat belt upper bolts, etc....

Try and get the mounts on the lines at the edge of the roof for strength. I've found 'Penny' washers or bigger arn't enough if you plan on sitting directly on the rear mount, it still flexes unless you're really light weight. The next one I do will get quite a big plate on the inside.

If you have a sun roof you're quite restricted up the sides of it, measure carefully when planning where the feet go.
                      Thanks for that, no sun roof in this one so no worries there.

Just on question, how does a bigger plate on the inside give strength, I understand it would stop the bolt pulling through but not how it would give support, or are you talking about welding it to the underside of the roof?

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                      Thanks for those two.

I want to get the lining out so I can measure from the inside before making a start on fabricating the rack, pick the ideal location for the feet... unless markp2 gets back to me.

I did a little research on rivnuts and similar fixings, the weakness in the plan is the thickness or rather thinness of the roof skin. You can get them strong enough to cope with the weight of a loaded rack if attached to something more substantial than the roof skin, but to do that you'd need to strengthen the underside which mean taking the lining out, then you'd have no need for the rivnuts.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Thanks for that, no sun roof in this one so no worries there.

Just on question, how does a bigger plate on the inside give strength, I understand it would stop the bolt pulling through but not how it would give support, or are you talking about welding it to the underside of the roof?

Thanks for those two.

I want to get the lining out so I can measure from the inside before making a start on fabricating the rack, pick the ideal location for the feet... unless markp2 gets back to me.

I did a little research on rivnuts and similar fixings, the weakness in the plan is the thickness or rather thinness of the roof skin. You can get them strong enough to cope with the weight of a loaded rack if attached to something more substantial than the roof skin, but to do that you'd need to strengthen the underside which mean taking the lining out, then you'd have no need for the rivnuts.

Thanks guys.
                        Would you prefer to walk over thin ice in high heels or with snow shoes?
                        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                          Would you prefer to walk over thin ice in high heels or with snow shoes?
                          Your analogy doesn't make sense, the shoes would be under the ice.

Putting a plate inside to spread the load will stop the bolt pulling through but won't give the roof strength to support the weight of the rack and whatever is on it.

Originally posted by Thrifty
                          you could also look to put the roof holes as close to the edge as possible, and if needed angle the uprights inwards a shade.
                          Yeah, good idea. There is strength in the curves at the edge.

I'll get the lining out and see where the strength is.

Comment

I just did a clamp on one with suckers at the back.

Read this thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54133

That should help.
                            I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
                              I just did a clamp on one with suckers at the back.

Read this thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54133

That should help.
                              Nice.

I was (am) intending to make one and bolt it on as the only expense would be my time and a length of box section.

Comment

Your analogy doesn't make sense, the shoes would be under the ice.

Putting a plate inside to spread the load will stop the bolt pulling through but won't give the roof strength to support the weight of the rack and whatever is on it.

Yeah, good idea. There is strength in the curves at the edge.

I'll get the lining out and see where the strength is.
                                Really ?how come?

You need to spread the load of the rack over an area larger than the bolt hole.

The ice is your thin sheet steel roof what would you want to use to spread the load of your weight thin bolts or a nice big plate.
                                How you do it is up to you.

What would have been a good idea is to have given an idea of how much weight you expect to carry in the roof rack and how much the roof rack itself is going to weigh.
                                Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X