yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roof rack plan, ideas and a couple of questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack plan, ideas and a couple of questions...

I'm going to make a roof rack, probably out of 3/4 in box, welded into a crate shape about 2m x 1m with uprights of about 10 or 15cm. Not sure about the base yet, may use mesh or maybe a sheet of ally tread plate.

I'll include some feet to bolt it through the roof, not worried about wrecking the paint or the roof as it's a well used truck not a trailer queen, I just find I need more load space sometimes.

I'm thinking I'll weld some small plates across the front lower rail drilled to take some extra spots and spray the whole thing or maybe have it galvanised... what's the likely hood of it distorting with the heat?

Has anyone made their own rack?... any problems you came across would be handy to hear about and if anyone has removed a roof lining it would be a help if I new where to start and any tips on taking it out would be a great help too.

If no one has tried this I'll just wing it and post what I find.

Cheers guys.

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
    I'm going to make a roof rack, probably out of 3/4 in box, welded into a crate shape about 2m x 1m with uprights of about 10 or 15cm. Not sure about the base yet, may use mesh or maybe a sheet of ally tread plate.

I'll include some feet to bolt it through the roof, not worried about wrecking the paint or the roof as it's a well used truck not a trailer queen, I just find I need more load space sometimes.

I'm thinking I'll weld some small plates across the front lower rail drilled to take some extra spots and spray the whole thing or maybe have it galvanised... what's the likely hood of it distorting with the heat?

Has anyone made their own rack?... any problems you came across would be handy to hear about and if anyone has removed a roof lining it would be a help if I new where to start and any tips on taking it out would be a great help too.

If no one has tried this I'll just wing it and post what I find.

Cheers guys.
    Could you not just use a trailer?
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hey Dodge, If you don't want to take out the roof lining, you could always use "Rivnuts" Car Builder Supplies also sell rubber ones that you don't need a gun for. Also, There's a new member on here would probably like to see any pic's of the wheel/tyre/wheel arch combo on your new truck, if you've got a moment to post any...........Cheers....Mick.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

If you want a rack around the size you have posted, I have one going for free in East Devon (6 miles off J29 M5).
        All you have to do is collect it!
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Hey Dodge, If you don't want to take out the roof lining, you could always use "Rivnuts" Car Builder Supplies also sell rubber ones that you don't need a gun for. Also, There's a new member on here would probably like to see any pic's of the wheel/tyre/wheel arch combo on your new truck, if you've got a moment to post any...........Cheers....Mick.
          Rivnuts to secure a roof crate thats probably going to weigh around 25 kilos unladen, to the roof of a Surf??????

You know how they work, right?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Rivnuts to secure a roof crate thats probably going to weigh around 25 kilos unladen, to the roof of a Surf??????

You know how they work, right?
            snigger

Comment

Originally posted by gary-r View Post
              snigger
              use the rubber ones - be more entertaining first time you hit the anchors hard

Comment

Ok, I'll admit my ignorance. Are they that weak / feeble?..........
                " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

Why not just use big f***off bolts and penny washers? No more difficult to do, a million times more secure
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
                    Ok, I'll admit my ignorance. Are they that weak / feeble?..........

Type Rivnuts into Google then click on images.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrifty
                      depends on your galvaniser, and why not paint it, cheaper option, or powder coat it. if you search a bit several members have done there own, lordflashart i think did a good post about it.

be nice too see your job when done too, i've been toying with the idea for a while now.
                      Yeah, I should paint it really, I have use of a compressor and guns at work and we even have black paint... bit daft to think of doing anything else.

I did a search, didn't come up with any pics though, maybe I misspelled my search terms.

I'll take some pic then.

Originally posted by shokenore View Post
                      Could you not just use a trailer?
                      I could but there are a few reasons I don't want to. For starters I don't have one but I can make a rack for a few quid, I can borrow a trailer if I need to move something heavy, I spend all day stuck at 55 it would do my nut in if I had to stick bellow 60 going on a jolly and this...

If it were waterproof it would float...

It would affect my angle of departure, funny the rear tire is what limits it at the moment, I've scraped it a few times I'm glad it's old rubber...

I don't think even a ring and pin hitch would work...

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                      If you want a rack around the size you have posted, I have one going for free in East Devon (6 miles off J29 M5).
                      All you have to do is collect it!
                      Mark
                      Wow, that's very generous, thank you.

I can get it picked up, just need a location. PM me your address and number and I'll get one of the guys to drop by. It'll be during the day Mon to Fri if that's OK?

Have you got a picture of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Dodge View Post
                        It would affect my angle of departure, funny the rear tire is what limits it at the moment, I've scraped it a few times I'm glad it's old rubber...

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Did you drop it in a cow pat trying to lift it onto the carrier?

Comment

The weight used to tip the truck backwards. If I parked on a field and got out, I used to have to get someone to sit on the bonnet til I got in.

The tyres were rubbish. Not really that much better offroad than the BFG ATs, but as noisy as hell, vague as f*** and wore like a thing that wears really fast.

Look nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              The weight used to tip the truck backwards. If I parked on a field and got out, I used to have to get someone to sit on the bonnet til I got in.

The tyres were rubbish. Not really that much better offroad than the BFG ATs, but as noisy as hell, vague as f*** and wore like a thing that wears really fast.

Look nice though.

I like the tread on the sidewall, don't know if it's the picture but they look huge, what size are they?

Comment

Working...
                              X