Hilux vs 4-runner vs Landcrusier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hilux

Its fleabay so currently £500 but buy now £1500 ( L reg )

Comment

Originally posted by munster View Post
      legendgamesmaster ok will do but was not just me
      quite true!

there is a LOT of sarcasm and (dare I call it) Wit on this site, thats what makes it what it is - a cool place to 'chat' on or off topic. Some people like Sancho have been around for donkeys yonks, and they are a great source of knowledge, maybe not 100% accurate 100% of the time.... but pretty damn deep mines of info none the less.
      If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
        Tony, did the 3rd gen ever get that D4D 3.0L (the 2002-ish ones)? I remember you saying (one of) the issues with the D4D lump was the use of steel washers which needed to be replaced with copper (or vice versa).
        I've never seen a 4th Gen Surf (2002-on) with a diesel motor for sale, I think they are all petrol and never seen a D4D 3rd Gen, they are to old.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
          Its fleabay so currently £500 but buy now £1500 ( L reg )
          £1500 is high for anything other than a really good second gen, I personally would not even consider it for anything close to that with the 4wd decoupled, it almost certainly has a fault with the 4wd system for someone to think it was worthwhile disconnecting.

£500 on the the other hand gives you a bit of room to replace parts and make it what you want, parts are quite readily available for these trucks and they are not rocket science to work on but I think it`s fair to say everything is heavy and hard work for that reason so if you are not mechanically minded then look for a good one! Your budget you mentioned earlier (£1900?) will get you a really really good second gen or perhaps even a tidy third gen if you shop around.

I think most owners would recommend them on the basis that there simply is not another 4x4 out there for the same budget that will offer what a surf will, I have spent £700 on mods for mine and it`s better off road than most Disco`s, I can still run the missus to ASDA in it and if needs be I could use it as the everyday family car, it`s not that bad on fuel, loads of modern comforts, manages motorway speeds no problem. Like I say, for me at least in the price range there is no competition.

Sorry to point this out though but as to recommending trucks if you scroll up a bit you`ll see this forum is called hiluxsurf.co.uk, what did you think we would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
            I've never seen a 4th Gen Surf (2002-on) with a diesel motor for sale, I think they are all petrol and never seen a D4D 3rd Gen, they are to old.
            Wiki seems to think some 3rd gens had it:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_KD_engine

I remember being a bit confused about it all before I bought mine last year, so I've just checked goo-net. I think the KDN185 Surfs have the D4D?
            http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars...110907002.html

And some 4th gens have the engine too:
            http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars...110802004.html

"The 1KD engine produces 17% more power with 11% less fuel consumption than its predecessor, the 1KZ engine."

Shame it's not more reliable.
            Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              Personally, I dislike how the Colorado looks as much as a Shogun or Disco.

Give me a 3rd Gen Surf anytime, then I'll fit the rear axle off a Colorado and have the best of both worlds.

Unlimited funds and I'd have an V8 Amazon, but short of that the next best thing IMHO is a Multimode 3rd Gen and a bit of fiddling with it.

Having been the proud owner of a third gen surf I can safely say the grass is definitely greener on the v8 amazon side!! Bigger outlay of funds, same running costs if it's LPG !!

Comment

Originally posted by J i m s t e r View Post
                Wiki seems to think some 3rd gens had it:
                From 2000 on. They should start arriving here soon, I suppose. Depending on how popular they were.

There is also a diesel 4th gen - KDN215.

Comment

ok, cool, I havn't really seen anything from 2001ish Surf wise in the garage, and they are all KZN's or 2.7 petrols, minimal research I've done said 2004ish on Toyota dropped the diesel from the Surf range.

All the late model LC's I've worked on with the 3.0 D4D motor have been a PITA, (a whole 3 this year!! ) One had blown its motor to bits after melting a piston, and both the others had injector issues and completely blocked intakes from the EGR system.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Hi, legendgamesmaster! Ok will do but was not just me. Also, thanks TonyN for the information and correction. Gosh it's terribly pleasant here.
                    Sancho, apologies for being harsh, you've been here longer than I have and made a simple mistake. Hey we all do that- I can't punctuate for toffee!

Anyway, what ho, on with the thread and I'll endeavour not to sound like a bellend in future.

There. Fixed that for you.

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                      There. Fixed that for you.

Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post

So now the question..opinions on the differences/benefits/disadvantages between the Hilux Surf, 4-Runner, and Landcruiser.

I am looking to but asap so your help would be great

Volvo estate?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
                          There. Fixed that for you

They are adults, they Don"t need you sticking up for them unless you are troling or sucking up as that"s how it comes across anyway everybody is so nice here so have a nice day and all the best for your future troling or just drop it its your choice

Comment

Have a look through a few of the posts in General and you'll see that loads of people get treated with the same level of discourtesy - it's a straight forward case of suck it up or bugger off !

Oh yeah - they don't just pick on newbies either

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I get your piont bob but you might as well send it back and have a laff yourself its all good fun and in the best posible taste no real harm intended

Comment

They are adults, they Don"t need you sticking up for them unless you are troling or sucking up as that"s how it comes across anyway everybody is so nice here so have a nice day and all the best for your future troling or just drop it its your choice
                                That's not really a choice per se is it?

But then again that's not really a sentence.

Anyway princess, if you look closely its less sticking up for anyone, more that my cretin filter gets choked with people being rude within their first few posts. Try going into a pub and acting like that with the regulars and see how far you get.

Comment

Working...
                                X