Hilux vs 4-runner vs Landcrusier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by munster View Post
    You know so little shame its hard to educate those that think they know it all
    This is why I love this forum
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hilux

..so if I was to buy say a 96 4runner with fsh for around £1900 would that sound ok ?

someone has also just emailed me to say I should either look at at a landcruiser ( from which I presume they mean a colorado ) or an isuzu trooper.

Comment

3rd gen has awd and 4wd and runs the same engine and chassis as the colarado.

This is not permanent 4 wheel drive the colorado has a proper central diff the front and rear diffs are not the same either diff lock on rear , they also have disc brakes all round there are a lot of differences some have D4D engines my point was that when asked the question

differences/benefits/disadvantages between the Hilux Surf, 4-Runner, and Landcruiser

Answer Colorado is just a surf in drag when the OP is going to spend there hard earned cash on a truck is not good enough

Comment

Danny La Rue was a man in drag.

He didn't have a vag though.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
            If you mean a Colorado, that's just a third generation Surf in drag.
            Not quite. A Prado is, but Colorado's have lockers.

<edit> after reading the thread, I see someone beat me to the punchline - with somewhat more venom than perhaps necessary
            Last edited by Apache; 13 September 2011, 12:53.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If you mean a Colorado, that's just a third generation Surf in drag

What a load of bollxxxxxxs you need to learn more get your fax right
              Email is quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                Not quite. A Prado is, but Colorado's have lockers.
                Yeah, I got that impression from ####y pants up there ^^^

My point was that it's not a proper landcruiser and isn't worth, in my opinion, anything more than a surf.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                  Yeah, I got that impression from ####y pants up there ^^^

My point was that it's not a proper landcruiser and isn't worth, in my opinion, anything more than a surf.
                  I might get shot down here, but I reckon the Colorado is better (read 'more serious tool') than the Surf as it has lockers, and rear disc brakes.

However, you wont find one for the same money as a 3rd gen - all other things being equal. The Prado isn't the same truck at all - that one's a 3rd gen in a dress that's too tight, and dirty Uggs.

Comment

Personally, I dislike how the Colorado looks as much as a Shogun or Disco.

Give me a 3rd Gen Surf anytime, then I'll fit the rear axle off a Colorado and have the best of both worlds.

Unlimited funds and I'd have an V8 Amazon, but short of that the next best thing IMHO is a Multimode 3rd Gen and a bit of fiddling with it.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Ooh, i missed this, to quote Albannach on another post...

"What fcuk are you talking about?" For some one pointing out other mistakes your making some too.

The differences between the Colorado and a Surf of the same year is...

1/ The LC has rear discs, most have rear lockers, but a lot of Prado's don't.
                      2/ A Surf has multimode 4wd, a coloardo is ONLY full time 4WD. Both have 'proper' center diffs, exactly the same diff, and because you have a diff, you HAVE to have a difflock in it or its worthless offroad, the LC dosn't have the 2wd option, which is a big loss IMHO, you so rarely need even AWD its a waste to use it all the time.
                      3/ A Surf has lower roof line, far better for offroading though tight spaces.
                      4/ D4D is a year thing across the range, not truck specific. and IMHO, i'd rather have the older motor, the D4D is horribly complicated, and proving to need a lot of attention.

Apart from that they are the same, hence the comment, basically a Cororado and a Surf are the same, you just get to chose if you want a more flexable t/case, vs a Rear locker, and the rear locker is easily swapped, but the Multimode t/case isn't.

Someone else mentioned UK 4Runners, they are available in V6 or oilburner. There are most diesel 4Runners than V6's.

Most UK 4Runners are in either stunning good condition, or as rusty has hell, depends if they've been garaged of not, have diesels have zero electrics compared to a Surf, no EFI, no dual mass gearbox on manuals (I've never seen a Auto 4Runner) and all manual transfer case same as a Pickup but with a stronger manual box than pickups, so might be a good idea if going abroad or want trouble free motoring to years to come.

3rd gen has awd and 4wd and runs the same engine and chassis as the colarado.

This is not permanent 4 wheel drive the colorado has a proper central diff the front and rear diffs are not the same either diff lock on rear , they also have disc brakes all round there are a lot of differences some have D4D engines my point was that when asked the question

differences/benefits/disadvantages between the Hilux Surf, 4-Runner, and Landcruiser

Answer Colorado is just a surf in drag when the OP is going to spend there hard earned cash on a truck is not good enough
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

listen to the man called TonyN

I suggest you listen to the man what is called TonyN - he does know his fax from his ficshun. he am an expert.

Myself, i've had a '92 (2nd gen) 2.4 surf, which was great up until the head cracked. This is a 'common' problem on the 2.4 - they had a 'poor' head cooling design (note my use of inverted commas, its all relative..).

Now ive got an intercooled 3ltr 3rd gen.... its ACE. paid 3.5k for that last year.

points to note:
                        If someone tells you the surf has a head GASKET problem - its 99% likely to be a cracked head, NOT just a gasket.... be warned. A grand to fix roughly unless you do it yourself.
                        check the engine type and body style when you buy to be sure you have a 3ltr or 3rd gen or whatever, there have been ebay purchases that were not what they were advertised as....

3rd gen trucks look different - the rear side windows do NOT go up onto the curve of the roof among other things. there may be a pre facelift 3rd gen, i'm not sure. IF IN DOUBT ASK HERE!!

Sister in law has an X-Trail Sport - fine as onroad car, not anywhere near a good off-roader and has small load capacity in comparison with the Surf (possibly a problem if you have the doggies in the rear?)

Mate has a hilux pickup - slow, limited space in the cab, tough as old boots though.

check out the For Sale section here on the forum.

oh, and Munster, please stop trolling!!!! be nice, we'z all nice yer!
                        If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Tony, did the 3rd gen ever get that D4D 3.0L (the 2002-ish ones)? I remember you saying (one of) the issues with the D4D lump was the use of steel washers which needed to be replaced with copper (or vice versa).
                          Surf if you got a wave. Wave if you got a Surf.™

Comment

legendgamesmaster ok will do but was not just me

Comment

Hilux

First, I am no mechanic..

I have seen a nice hilux for sale , MOT Feb 12, service history since import 100k miles.. but the owner says

"This is a 4X4 model with all the componants working, however the 4x4 was disengaged for some reason I believe when the car was imported.

This is noted with the DVLA and is shown on the log book. I had the car checked at the main dealer garage I work at and there were no problems found with any of the mechanism relating to this."

Is this just ridiculous mumbo jumbo or is it worth a punt ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
                                First, I am no mechanic..

I have seen a nice hilux for sale , MOT Feb 12, service history since import 100k miles.. but the owner says

"This is a 4X4 model with all the componants working, however the 4x4 was disengaged for some reason I believe when the car was imported.

This is noted with the DVLA and is shown on the log book. I had the car checked at the main dealer garage I work at and there were no problems found with any of the mechanism relating to this."

Is this just ridiculous mumbo jumbo or is it worth a punt ?

Thanks
                                Price? it all comes down to price.

If something is a steal, it is worth a punt.

Check inside for drop guns.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Working...
                                X