Hilux vs 4-runner vs Landcrusier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux vs 4-runner vs Landcrusier

Hot sure where to put this thread so general seemed the best place to start..

First I I have had 4x4's before ( 2 early discos, 1 early range rover, Nissan Patrol ).. but I am not a 4x4 expert.. I just love driving big things !

I need to buy something for under £2k which will server me at least 12 months without falling apart or costing me lots of expense. I will be doing less than 5k miles a year so fuel does not worry me that much ( especially if it runs on biodiesel! )

So now the question..opinions on the differences/benefits/disadvantages between the Hilux Surf, 4-Runner, and Landcruiser.

I am looking to but asap so your help would be great

Originally posted by smallzoo View Post
    Hot sure where to put this thread so general seemed the best place to start..

First I I have had 4x4's before ( 2 early discos, 1 early range rover, Nissan Patrol ).. but I am not a 4x4 expert.. I just love driving big things !

I need to buy something for under £2k which will server me at least 12 months without falling apart or costing me lots of expense. I will be doing less than 5k miles a year so fuel does not worry me that much ( especially if it runs on biodiesel! )

So now the question..opinions on the differences/benefits/disadvantages between the Hilux Surf, 4-Runner, and Landcruiser.

I am looking to but asap so your help would be great
    As posted on your other thread, Surfs and 4runners are essentially the same thing. A 4runner is just a UK Surf. They don't have standard aircon, they don't have 'electronic' engines, they don't have dual mass flywheels in the manual and they don't have cup holders. They tend to be rustier than equivalent age Surfs as they have been here their whole life.

A Landcruiser is better than either, but you'd do well to find a decent one within your budget. If you mean a Colorado, that's just a third generation Surf in drag.

Comment

Hilux

Thanks for that..

I could possibly up my budget to £2500 but then you are in X-Trail money which is a posh 4x4 and I didnt really want that. I wanted a reliable tough truck for the family and 2 large dogs.

The landcruiser seems to go for silly money..

The 4runner I mentioned was in a garage and he said there was a complete documented service history but that was some rust above the rear wheel arch.. he said it was nothing to work on for at least a couple of years ( he said..) and the rest of the body was fine..

I am only looking at autotrader at the moment.. if anyone knows of anywhere else ( respected garage, private sale etc ) let me know

Comment

Hilux

Also...

any real issues I should be aware of re 2nd or 3rd generation...

Comment

I may be wrong but believe the UK spec 4Runner was only imported as a V6 petrol engined vehicle, not as a diesel, so if that is correct then you are going to be looking at serious fuel costs for a 4Runner as opposaed to a grey import Surf, most of which are diesel.
          Mike G

Comment

If you mean a Colorado, that's just a third generation Surf in drag

What a load of bollxxxxxxs you need to learn more get your fax right permenant 4 wheel drive rear locker and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
              I may be wrong but believe the UK spec 4Runner was only imported as a V6 petrol engined vehicle, not as a diesel, so if that is correct then you are going to be looking at serious fuel costs for a 4Runner as opposaed to a grey import Surf, most of which are diesel.
              Nope. They did it as a 3.0TD too.

Comment

Originally posted by munster View Post

What a load of bollxxxxxxs you need to learn more get your fax right permenant 4 wheel drive rear locker and more.
                You thought it was a real Landcruiser then?

Comment

You know so little shame its hard to educate those that think they know it all

Comment

Harsh.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

3rd gen has awd and 4wd and runs the same engine and chassis as the colarado.

Very reasonable to argue it is the same truck with a different body.
                      Brian

Comment

Sorry not to have learned more from all four of your previous posts.

Comment

Currently, I am attempting to get my "fax" right

Who do I send it too again?

Comment

Originally posted by JD_975 View Post
                            Currently, I am attempting to get my "fax" right
                            It's facts similarly, not facts exactly!

"B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                            www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfracer View Post
                              It's facts similarly, not facts exactly!

And I had a renewed confidence in my grasp of the English language after reading this thread too

Comment

Working...
                              X