Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I get the point! And anyway we are all entitled to our opinions! Didn't mean to upset anyone, I am just so fed up with the crime rate, the law and the system! Have been the victim of something similar and because I live on the border of Cambs & Norfolk had to watch the police turn away (after a half hour investigation & 2 cups of tea) when they realised I was not in their duristiction.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

• Just catching up on the last few pages here, I tend to agree with Andy, you HAVE to prove the guy with them stole them, he dosn't have to prove he didn't.

That the whole point of the legal system.

I don't have reciepts for my Lathe, Press, lots of other tool etc... all which came from Ebay or car boot sales, they maybe stolen, they may not, but I bought them all in good faith.

I tend not to buy stuff 'from a guy in the pub' or similar for the above reasons and don't want to lose money if they get taken away.

The wheels MUST belong to the insurance co if they are proved to be your wheels old wheels, and they've paid out for replacing them.

Oh, and I have an outstanding parking ticket from about 20 years ago in Italy, nothing has so far happened...
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
        Isn't it strange, how misreading just one word, can skew your whole view.
        I always thought Henry was a VOYEUR...
        I thought he made coffee in Starbucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sancho View Post
          I thought he made coffee in Starbucks.
          He does make good coffee.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

• Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            Many years ago, a friend of mine (from Cumbernauld) had a Cosworth RS500. He too had all sorts of fancy gadgetry and anti theft devices fitted to it and I have to say, they were very successful. Right up to the point where he had a knock on the door at about 8pm on a warm summer's evening. A bloke pointed a shotgun at him and said, "Give me your car keys", he never saw the car again...
            What shotgun do you own?

Like I said, I'm also a Ninja. Similar to a game of rock / paper / scissors, Ninja beats shotgun.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              Just catching up on the last few pages here, I tend to agree with Andy, you HAVE to prove the guy with them stole them, he dosn't have to prove he didn't.

I don't have reciepts for my Lathe, Press, lots of other tool etc... all which came from Ebay or car boot sales, they maybe stolen, they may not, but I bought them all in good faith.

I tend not to buy stuff 'from a guy in the pub' or similar for the above reasons and don't want to lose money if they get taken away.

The wheels MUST belong to the insurance co if they are proved to be your wheels old wheels, and they've paid out for replacing them.

Oh, and I have an outstanding parking ticket from about 20 years ago in Italy, nothing has so far happened...

You still got my lathe ?
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

• I think this is sort of going off on a tangent. The point I am trying to emphasise is that there is no evidence to suggest he did or didn't steal them. The fact is there is no hard proof. Lets say he didnt but there is a possibility he did, or knew they were stolen, I still don't feel it justified that there is the option for him to "claim them" from the police - since there is no proof either way.

Far worse has happened for something minor like some pieces of metal and rubber to irate about. I have been pretty calm and composed with my replies on here. This has bothered me somewhat and I'm not simply going to sit back and pretend everything is okay as I have made a claim on the insurance. Once I understood the workings of the law and the kind of evidence that is required to provide proof beyond doubt, then I too agreed with the CPS decision. Like has been mentioned, far worse things are going on to be dealing with a minor crime like this. When it is put in that context and the bigger picture is drawn, this whole thread is minor and practially irrelevant.

However, to describe the context of where this lies personally, I bought some items which were stolen. I then identified successfully these items in the posession of someone else, using photographs of markings which I created. That person is unable to provide details of how he obtained them but states he obtained them in good faith. Considering that he destroyed the centre caps after I confronted him and that he has a criminal record for similar thefts from motor vehicles I don't feel it correct to allow him to claim him since there is no proof either way.

This could have been a different story. He could have been a completely different person and I would be happy him owning the wheels if he bought them legitimately. This is not the case.
                p.s. someone just burnt toast and we have to evacuate the building..
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Just catching up on the last few pages here, I tend to agree with Andy, you HAVE to prove the guy with them stole them, he dosn't have to prove he didn't.

Understood! And This is completely fair!
                  They do belong to the insurance company. I have said I would purchase them off them and tried to do this. They said to the police to allow me to collect them as they do not wish to obtain them. Then the police said actually I cannot do this as they must write to that person and allow him to claim them first providing he can provide proof of purchase. Not sure exactly what would qualify as proof of purchase though.

At the end of the day all I want is for that person who stole them not to then legally receive them - if that makes sense. I was hoping the insurance company would be bothered enough to collect them.
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• At the risk of flogging this somewhat decaying 'orse, there are two different things going on.
                    If it has been established that the wheels were nicked, the guy has no claim to them. It doesn't matter whether they were bought in good faith or not. They belong to the insurance company. The police's suggestion that he can "claim" them is a load of tripe.
                    The other, and completely separate, question is whether he ought to be done for handling stolen goods. That has now been done to death...!

Comment

• Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                      The other, and completely separate, question is whether he ought to be done for handling stolen goods. That has now been done to death...!
                      Agreed! I don't care much for that.

Regarding the other part of your post. I still have his email of this fact:

On Tue Feb 15th, 2011 8:31 AM GMT xxxx@met.police.uk wrote:

>Hello again, I have taken advice from above regarding these wheels. I
                      >have been told to write to the criminal and give him 28 days to claim
                      >them.If he doesn't respond then I can do what I like with them.I will
                      >ask for a receipt which he won't have obviously.I am hoping he will give
                      >up.I will let you know what happens.
                      >xxxx
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

• Yes but, no but.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

• Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                          Agreed! I don't care much for that.

Regarding the other part of your post. I still have his email of this fact:
                          Whoever advised him is a chump. More importantly, why is a policeman sending you kisses in his email? Is there something we should know?

Comment

• the law is feked up always has been and always will be

eye for an eye
                            or his i see it
                            an eye for 2 eyes
                            works better most times

but thats my uneducated opinion
                            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

• Originally posted by flounderbout View Post
                              Whoever advised him is a chump. More importantly, why is a policeman sending you kisses in his email? Is there something we should know?
                              dieselboys been on a bobby's helmet
                              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

• I removed his details with x's
                                I didn't think of how that would then look!
                                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                                X