Uh Oh We're In Trouble.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh We're In Trouble.......

... a farmer came along and he burst our bubble!

Allow me to explain. We went out today to trek across the West Yorkshire Moors, first time outing down there, guided by Memory Map info which had been marked out as a green lane.

Let's just say we were a little off the beaten track and unfortunately we ended up in an extremely narrow lane. The Landy with the roof rack got stuck under low bushes and the possibility of backing 5 vehicles along the lane was going to be more than a little difficult.

We managed to clear that lane and found ourselves in a small holding farm yard. The owner came out to find out what was going on and the guy in the lead truck apologised for us being there and explained we had taken a marked track that clearly wasn't suitable for the purpose. The farm guy then said we should carry on along this treacherous route and it would become narrower and wetter! There was a hardcore road off his property but he said we couldn't use it as it was a private road.

A couple of the guys tried to get their trucks along the track but it really was a no go. We had no other option but to get off the guys property via his road. We apologised once again and made it clear that we would never come that way again and we would mark up the route as unusable. He still insisted we should take the other route.

All we wanted to do was get off his property in an orderly manner with no damage and the minimum of fuss. I'm afraid we had little option but to use the hardcore road. The farm guy came out and took pictures of all our trucks and number plates. I don't know who he will report us to but he was pretty mad. When we left the road there was no sign to say it was private.

I fully understand why the farm guy was angry, it was his property and we were in the wrong, albeit mistakenly. There will no doubt be critisisim from members on our actions but anyone can make a mistake and I post this as a warning to others to ensure the route marked as okay is passable and doesn't encroach on someones propery. I feel ashamed of what happened today but faced with the choice of getting stuck in an unpassable lane and taking a safe route out what would you have done? Apart from the obvious thing like not being there in the first place.

Last edited by Scorpion; 1 March 2009, 20:53.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

I hope the tree huggers aren't reading this thread, especially with photos at their disposal.

Comment

i'd be pi55ed off too. even though a mistake, this is the sort of thing that gets green lanes closed. i know it was accidental, but its still another stick for us to be beat with by those who would see us all in prius's.

so important to know whats ok to use and what isnt, but at least it won't happen again.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

d@mn mate sounds unpleasant...
        Hope nothing will come of it...
        One day at the time I guess..

Comment

You'll be pleased to know I paid the price for my folly, the truck is scratched to hell!

Where's my buffer and T-Cut!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
            i'd be pi55ed off too. even though a mistake, this is the sort of thing that gets green lanes closed. i know it was accidental, but its still another stick for us to be beat with by those who would see us all in prius's.

so important to know whats ok to use and what isnt, but at least it won't happen again.
            I know. All I could think of at the time was that it was another black mark for greenlaning. No matter how apologetic we were it was still a very unfortunate affair.

Small consolation is that we weren't rude or arrogant, we just wanted to make the best of a bad situation.

Comment

Even if it's a marked route in MM, it doesn't mean it's an open or even legal route. The NERC bill has changed so much of what is marked on OS maps as legal routes, that it's hard to keep up with it. The best thing to do is check the routes on Wayfinder first, not just trust the map. Also - you should have suggested to go back the way you came really - I can't blame the guy for getting a bit mad, but not letting you off site via the 'road' route is a bit off - as you had made it clear is was a mistake and you just wanted to get off the site and away.

Vince is right, if the bobble hats get on to this, they will have a field day - i don't suppose this was based on the TOR roadbook from this month was it? There is a section there that they mentioned was near to a farm with a less then 4x4 friendly farmer...

Worth just making sure the lane is legal by checking more than one source of info before heading out...and you may also find a few lanes are subject to seaonal TROs too...which won't show up on MM, but will on the Wayfinder (or should)
              Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                I know. All I could think of at the time was that it was another black mark for greenlaning. No matter how apologetic we were it was still a very unfortunate affair.

Small consolation is that we weren't rude or arrogant, we just wanted to make the best of a bad situation.
                you did all you could once in that mess. hopefully the guy will just go in, have a cuppa and forget about it. did he threaten to phone the police at any point?
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

it happened dude
                  not all framer dudes put proper signs up
                  i done the same
                  got reported too
                  but there was no signs
                  and nothing came about it
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Well it sounds to me like the farmer was being a total and utter Pr1ck. Yes you were maybe in the wrong, but what harm was done and what happened to plain old human decency. I say again Mr Farmer sounds like a grade A agricultural @rse. I was born and brought up on a farm, surrounded by other farms and I think I recognise the type.

Bogus
                    Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post

thats way i maily go in pairs
                      if ya go wrong it takes the p1ss and some explaining
                      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Why didn't you just go back the way you'd come?

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                          it happened dude
                          not all framer dudes put proper signs up
                          i done the same
                          got reported too
                          but there was no signs
                          and nothing came about it
                          Ah, but did you throw your truck in his hedge?
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            Why didn't you just go back the way you'd come?
                            That's the bit I couldn't figure out. Maybe none of them had a reverse gear?
                            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Should have just offered him money to use his road, a sort of toll. I've yet to meet a farmer who will turn down a dollar or two, especially a Yorkshire man

£20 each and I'll bet he would jump at it and tell you some better lanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X