I.T. help needed!!! pc won't start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I.T. help needed!!! pc won't start!

Hey people, i'm hoping to draw on the vast bank of knowledge that lurks on the forum.

i think i may have fubar'd my pc. on friday my virus software popped up saying it had blocked a trojan. after doin this a few times i decided to run a virus scan and get rid of it. it was found, then put in quarantine by the software, so i then deleted the file to completely get rid of the problem.

at the end of the day i shut down the pc as normal. Now it will not reboot atall!! i'm operating windows XP, and when it gets to the black screen that says "windows XP" with a little blue "nightrider" style bar going accross, after a few sweeps accross it stops, then the whole thing shuts off, and it starts up again.

i've tried booting in safe mode, and also in "last known working configuration", both with exactly the same result. The only thing i remember about the trojan is it had something to do with winexplore in the title if that helps.

please can someone tell me what to do??

i guess i'm gonna need ot find my XP disk and reload the lot somehow. i'm just so worried we may have lost all our photo's, but more importantly our files.

cheers oh wise and wonderful beings!

Martin
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

It sounds like your boot sector may have become corrupted at some point and you have deleted the file it is looking for.

If you get your PC to boot up via the CD trying running a repair rather than a new install, that way if all goes well you should be able to keep all your data files.

If this fails you may want to install windows onto a 2nd HDD and then use your exisiting drive as a secondary and try to remove the data you want this way.
    Last edited by Growler; 15 February 2009, 12:16.

Comment

Can you boot in safe mode ? (tap on F8 as the machine boots up and the boot up menu will display)

If so then you need to go to Control Panel
      Take System
      Goto the Advanced Tab
      In the 'Startup & Recovery) section click on the 'Settings' button
      Untick Automatic Restart

Now when the machine is booted up you should see what the error is.

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I had a "similar" thing happen to me during last week.

AV popped up, I let it delete a file.....on restart the logon screen showed I went to log on and it immediately logged off.

Googling showed that sometimes a virus/trojan will infect a file used during the boot process.

Googling also showed a few ways to try to re-install this boot file.....I tried a few using my XP disks but in the end got fed up (am a bit of an impatient bugger) and re-installed XP.

Lost all my files (but anything that important was cut to DVD anyway).

Good luck.....and google exactly the problem you are having....someone will always have had exactly the same problem and have tried a number of ways of sorting it.

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
          Can you boot in safe mode ? (tap on F8 as the machine boots up and the boot up menu will display)

If so then you need to go to Control Panel
          Take System
          Goto the Advanced Tab
          In the 'Startup & Recovery) section click on the 'Settings' button
          Untick Automatic Restart

Now when the machine is booted up you should see what the error is.

Trev
          Seems he can't even do that Trev

"i've tried booting in safe mode, and also in "last known working configuration", both with exactly the same result. The only thing i remember about the trojan is it had something to do with winexplore in the title if that helps."

Comment

Replace the rad cap.
            Is the glowplug fuse OK?

Comment

did ya install anything just before it all started?
              if ansewer is no
              then take off ya side and look for a watch battery take that out
              and hold in the power button on ya tower for around 10 sec
              then put it all back in and turn it on
              sounds mad i know just try it it should work after that
              Last edited by JUDWAK; 15 February 2009, 13:01.
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                Seems he can't even do that Trev

"i've tried booting in safe mode, and also in "last known working configuration", both with exactly the same result. The only thing i remember about the trojan is it had something to do with winexplore in the title if that helps."

thats fixable mate winexplorer
                do has above or fire it up from cd and do a fix/repaire with windows disk

Comment

please all be aware that a particularly nasty virus is doing the rounds....make sure the anti virus is working and up to date

(and do a google on the postcard virus,its not ta real virus but is linking to another REAL virus)
                  Last edited by gwh200; 15 February 2009, 18:27.
                  Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                    please all be aware that a particularly nasty virus is doing the rounds....make sure the anti virus is working and up to date

(and do a google on the postcard virus,its not ta real virus but is linking to another REAL virus)

Comment

Start Recovery Console from yout installation (you did install it didn't you?) or the XP CD, then run chkdsk /r on your boot partition.

That fixes a shed load of XP boot problems.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
                        did ya install anything just before it all started?
                        if ansewer is no
                        then take off ya side and look for a watch battery take that out
                        and hold in the power button on ya tower for around 10 sec
                        then put it all back in and turn it on
                        sounds mad i know just try it it should work after that
                        that sounds like the easiest thing right now. mainly cos i can't find an xp disk! got a millenium one and a vista one, but can't track down an XP!

doing this watch battery thing, will it loose any of my settings/files?

cheers,

Martin
                        Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
                          that sounds like the easiest thing right now. mainly cos i can't find an xp disk! got a millenium one and a vista one, but can't track down an XP!

cheers,

Martin
                          It will lose the bios settings... which is like basic time an crap but nothing big!

Bios or Cmos.. one or t'other!

Comment

cheers,

Martin

after its reset the bios it should replace the missing file
                            it wont hurt nothing if it dont work (most of the time it will)
                            let me know

Comment

All of the motherboards operating parameters will be reset to their defaults. Can't see what purpose it will achieve in this context other than naff all, personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X