Hi from the Black Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from the Black Country

Hi everyone, I'm possibly going to be a Surf owner. Like most folk who join here, I imagine, I have a couple of questions I hope the experts can answer. First let me give a background (yep, I'm gonna drone on), I've always been a Land Rover man (39 yrs), in particular series and Defenders. I've just sold my 300TDI 5 door as it's getting uncomfortable now in the leg room department (old knees) and now have a choice, Disco 300TDI auto or Surf 3L auto.
    My head says Disco as I know them inside out, they're relatively reliable and parts are cheap and available. My heart says Surf, I've driven a few and know several business folk who run them (showmen, but they get rid after a couple of years) I like the driving position, and I like them in general.
    What does worry me though is all this talk lately of heads even on the 3L version, and the possible extortionate costs involved.

I shall be looking at mid to late 90s on either vehicle (little or no electronic engine managment ?) so what's the experts view on this situation please ?

Thanks for reading so far and for any constructive answers.
    Rod

Hey Rod - welcome to the forum.

I don't know if it's a 2nd or 3rd gen Surf you are considering, but I would say that the 3rd gen is a better vehicle than a Disco. For a start, they are imports, so they have really clean undersides, hardly any rust. The same vintage Disco will be full of rust guaranteed, and that will kill it.

Compared to that, the cylinder head problem is not a biggie. most Surfs that have been over here for a few years have either had the problem and got fixed, or will be ok. You just have to make sure any servicing doesn't mix the different types of coolant, and that everything in the coolant system is well serviced.

I'm fairly new to this as well, so I'll let the regulars pull me to bits on my advice!
    Last edited by joecuba; 7 January 2009, 00:45.

Comment

Hi
      welcome. i am new to this forum as well, but it has a invaluable wealth of knowledge For surfs.
      Used to maintain a fleet of land rover 130 Rapier's and Toyota hilux pickups. We found the hilux far more reliable compared to the land rover, and in all honesty not much dearer for parts. By the year end more was spent on each land rover on parts than the hilux’s. So my thinking is the disco and the surf may well be the same, disco=cheap parts but more frequent. Surf= dearer parts with less frequency.
      As for the cylinder head problems? I am sure some one else with more experience on surfs will give you some facts.
      Last edited by firestorm; 7 January 2009, 01:08.

Comment

Holy cr*p...

Another Rod!!

first off... cool name.. Whats it short for?!

Next off.. I had a surf that i sold for a 300tdi Discovery ES.. So top of ze range.. cant get better.

It was kinda cr*ppy.. better on the motorway then the surf by miles!! But anything else was just hollow. the boot is cr*p but the cabin has a nice an airy feel to it. i miss that more then anything else about it.

I went for a 2.4 auto surf an ive loved it!! Had it just over 2 years now! Done loads to it.

go for a surf!

Comment

welcome mate..

yeh get a 3ltr surf....

go on u know u want too
          One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

Rodders, obviously.

anyway

Heads going is more a matter of age, mileage, maintenance and abuse than anything really specific to a surf. Those that do go seem to go at about 13-14 years old. If you but a fairly recent 3.0 diesel that has been in the country for a while and has been properly serviced there's no reason why it should be more likely to go pop than any other car and plenty of reason to think less other things will go wrong.

Comment

First name, Drain!!

So a big welcome "drain rod"
              Or was it Hot!
              http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Welcome to the nut house .......beware the squirrel

This might help.......... http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Welcome rod or or for ease of reconigition Rod 2, never had a landy so cant comment, like my old 2.4 but would love a 3lt, just give your potential buy a good going over and a good test run in 4x4 as well as 2x4, useual vehicle checks etc, if they say the heads been done ask for paperwork etc, plenty of help on here (if you can wake em up)
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Hi Rod

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you not to far away from me either.

Comment

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

Rod Leach, add erick. It's good to be one of the elite isn't it, not one of the commoners with any old name.

Tobyjug, I know I want to, that's the problem. Also don't want a £1000 bill for head parts plus the hassle of fitting it.

Sancho, is it an age thing or mileage, if miles when do they let go?

Antshiel, come on mate, you can do better than that, put some effort in

Growler, arr, but youm a brummy ay ya an I ay, oy bin a Black country lad.

Anyway, it's good of you all to answer but I'm still not convinced about a surf, while looking for answers on the net a problem with auto boxes drinking coolant through the fluid cooler / rad cropped up, apparently a very very expensive problem to fix. Is this a Surf problem or Colarado problem.

Thanks all, Rod

Comment

Originally posted by rodp View Post
                        Hi everyone and thanks for the replies.

Rod Leach, add erick. It's good to be one of the elite isn't it, not one of the commoners with any old name.

Tobyjug, I know I want to, that's the problem. Also don't want a £1000 bill for head parts plus the hassle of fitting it.

Sancho, is it an age thing or mileage, if miles when do they let go?

Antshiel, come on mate, you can do better than that, put some effort in

Growler, arr, but youm a brummy ay ya an I ay, oy bin a Black country lad.

Anyway, it's good of you all to answer but I'm still not convinced about a surf, while looking for answers on the net a problem with auto boxes drinking coolant through the fluid cooler / rad cropped up, apparently a very very expensive problem to fix. Is this a Surf problem or Colarado problem.

Thanks all, Rod

Im Roderick too...

I've never spoken to another Roderick...

coooool!

Comment

If you can, try & go for a 3.0 3rd gen that has just come off the boat. I looked about for 3 months till i found mine so don't rush in & bye the first one you see. By the looks of it you have a few fellow surfers who live near you, im sure one of them would go look at some with you to give advice.

Oh & by the way, welcome.
                          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Told you we are the elite !!! I only know one other, I speak to him at work as he's a customer. So, in my 55 years on this planet that's 3 (including you) that I've spoken to, woohoo, are we rare or what.

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by si tate View Post
                              If you can, try & go for a 3.0 3rd gen that has just come off the boat. I looked about for 3 months till i found mine so don't rush in & bye the first one you see. By the looks of it you have a few fellow surfers who live near you, im sure one of them would go look at some with you to give advice.

Oh & by the way, welcome.

Thanks for the info, how do I find one off the boat ? Where do I look as I was going to just look around, try a few and buy the best I can afford.
                              Thanks for the welcome.
                              Rod

Comment

Working...
                              X