Starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problems

Already changed one of my bateries about 9 months ago.
    For the last couple of months we have had a reccurring problem with starting!
    Works ok for a few days or even weeks, then come out in the morning and she wont start, there doesn't seem to be enough power to turn over properly.
    Always starts with a set of jumpleads off my van!
    Bought a jumpstart pack from Halfrauds for just such an occasion, but it wont work on the old battery only when conncted to the newer one. Had to jump it off the battpack this morning, Took it for a run then parked it up! She went shopping at about midday (started ok)
    Just went outside and disconnected the batt's (one at a time) and checked the voltage......One has 12.2v the other 12.5. So jumped in and turned the key.......Very sluggish, just caught it. (as if the batt's were real low)
    Checked with the engine on tickover.....13.8v

So where do i go from here, the wife uses it almost every day, but does very short journies so it can only get worse...

Any Ideas????

Thanks
    Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Alan,

What's the battery indicator showing on each battery (if you don't have one hows the levels) ?

Do you know how old the old one is ?

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Both bat's have water in above the elements.
      Cant tell how old the other battery is, ut its exactly the same as the newer one ( Banner ) Think the new one came from Halfrauds but i can't find the receipt!

Alan

Comment

If you are changing batteries it always pays to change them both as the old one will pull down the new one, you can check the batteries with a volt meter but you will have to disconnect one at a time, don't try and check them when they are both connected as you will not get a true reading, check them one at a time and with the engine running and not running, can't remember off the top of my head what the voltages are but something around 12.8 charging and above 12 normally.

Edit
        Take it to a garage and they will usually check it for free (but you will need to tell them not to test them when they are both connected) I had to explain and it was hard work.
        Last edited by roylittle0; 23 November 2008, 17:02.
        Roy
        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post
          If you are changing batteries it always pays to change them both as the old one will pull down the new one, you can check the batteries with a volt meter but you will have to disconnect one at a time, don't try and check them when they are both connected as you will not get a true reading, check them one at a time and with the engine running and not running, can't remember off the top of my head what the voltages are but something around 12.8 charging and above 12 normally.

Edit
          Take it to a garage and they will usually check it for free (but you will need to tell them not to test them when they are both connected) I had to explain and it was hard work.
          Read my post at the top!!!!!!!!!!
          Already done all that mate, it's what to do next that has me stumped.

SO i'm going for a pint, and hopefully there will be some ideas posted by the time i come back
          Alan

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
            Read my post at the top!!!!!!!!!!
            Already done all that mate, it's what to do next that has me stumped.

SO i'm going for a pint, and hopefully there will be some ideas posted by the time i come back
            Alan
            Errmmm, Obviously not properly

Had a similar problem when i first had mine, it turned out to be the alternator belt, one had snapped and the other must have been loose, no sound of squealing though and like you, i had a good charge voltage when stationary, only when at higher revs (driving) it wasn't charging.
            Failing that i would disconnect the old battery and just run off the new one, that will at least eliminate one battery.
            Roy

Comment

13.8v on tick over is a little low but still fine(not related but check belt tension,and remove alternator earth clean up refit and wd connectors,should get it higher)as for yr starting prob,it's as said above cause they are connected newer one will be pulled down by the other

Comment

Alan,

Just a small point, could it be that with the short runs your wife is doing there is just not enough change being generated to cover the usage of the glowplugs and starter ?

Have you tried giving it a decent run out ?

Trev
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                  Alan,

Just a small point, could it be that with the short runs your wife is doing there is just not enough change being generated to cover the usage of the glowplugs and starter ?

Have you tried giving it a decent run out ?

Trev
                  All mine does is 2 miles to work and back, 5 or 6 days a week, had no problems with it after fitting new batteries and alternator belts about 9 months ago, so it should be ok with short journeys.
                  Roy

Comment

Been for a quick pint, cleared my head. I have new belts as part of the roughtrax service kit, didn't have time to fit them yesterday. The kit comes with 4 belts, are these all neccesary or is one a spare??How hard are they to change as the alternator belt is not in great condition and this could be the next step(one more thing eliminated).
                    Thanks for the replies
                    Alan

Comment

You should have 4 belts, 2 are for the alternator, 1 is for the aircon and the other is for the power steering, if i remember right the alternator ones are the first you need to fit, they are a pain to get to though, if you haven't done them before i would count on two hours. fit all 4 then you wont need to touch them for a while.
                      Roy

Comment

Cheers Roy, just need the time to fit them now. Working all week, plains on sunday, so looks like saturday is booked now then!
                        Alan

Comment

Originally posted by roylittle0 View Post

Edit

Think you'll find the charge rate should be atleast 13.8v & no more than 14.2v

There's always a Payback .... But don't expect a warning !!!!
                          Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Diezel Weazel View Post
                            Think you'll find the charge rate should be atleast 13.8v & no more than 14.2v

There's always a Payback .... But don't expect a warning !!!!
                            I could never remember if it was 12.8 or 13.8, its been a while since i did it (23 years actually)
                            Roy

Comment

Have you tried "Our friends electric"?

Comment

Working...
                              X