No announcement yet.

Fitted Heat exchanger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat exchanger came from a valient boiler and is rated on the veg sites as one of the best. cost around 30.00 on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by GIRDLES View Post
      Heat exchanger came from a valient boiler and is rated on the veg sites as one of the best. cost around 30.00 on ebay.
      was that a second hand price

click here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAILLANT-VCW-2...1%7C240%3A1318
      2nd Gen 3.0td, running on waste veg oil

Comment

Thats the same as the one I got, only I got all the fittings with mine. It works very well and thats a good price I have read tap connectors fit these but dont quote me on this.

Comment

ok cheers matey im watching it on ebay along with a couple of others and i have pm'd darren on the veg forum who says he has a couple for sale.

Comment

hi mate just wanted to check with you, my heat exchanger arrived today from darren, i am going to fit it this weekend, do i need a length of 10mm fuel hose and 19mm heater hose ?

do i need any t pieces or straight connectors to join the hoses together

going by your pic have you used 1 x straight 19mm fitting and the other 3 are elbows coming off the heat exchanger ?

cant wait to run 90% veg happy days

my car was running very poorly as i suspected the fuel filter was clogging, fitted a new one and bobs yer uncle, now i see why they recommend carrying a spare filter about with you, would be wise to change it at least every 4-6 months perhaps.

Comment

Hi there.
              Starting to look into running on 100% veg oil, with a second tank. Diesel prices are still at 124 per ltr with us, yes that’s after it came down 20p

I found this exel doc. http://www.dieselveg.com/vegmodel.xlsThat works out the saving you may make switching to veg.
              Also have any one of you had any experience with this company?http://www.dieselveg.com/index.htm
              They also state that as of June 2007 you are allowed to use 2500 lts per year before you have to pay fuel dutyhttp://www.dieselveg.com/fuel_duty.htm is this correct?

Comment

ok i have just found this on HM revenue web site, it seems to be true

4.2.1 Exempt producers/users

If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of:

* any biofuel, or
                * any other fuel substitute or additive

within the last 12 months, and/or expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with HMRC and account for duty. However, there are simple record-keeping requirements, which are described in paragraph 4.9.1.

Production includes the manufacture or processing of road fuel, and the setting aside of any product that has not been charged with duty, with the intention of using it as road fuel.

Comment

Just a word of warning regarding ex boiler exchangers, i was gonna use one from an old worster combi, looked like new but as a precaution i flushed it with descaler but couldnot get the balck scake to stop flakeing and comeing out, even after several flushes it still had scale bits comeing out so chucked it and made one from copper tube and had it nickle plated, would'nt want ya fuel system blocking up with scale
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

hi girdles, i posted pics on the vegi forum, i was gonna ask you a question on there but the site is down at the moment, you know how you said you added millers diesel sport 4, well does it make a difference, i have been running at 90% veg 10% petrol and it runs fine as you said before a bit lumpy for a few miles, i am noticing a reduction in power, does adding the millers treament improve performance and starting ?

Comment

Cant speak from experience (yet.. HE should be fitted by Sat) but have a look on the veggieboost thread on the veg forum. Lots on there seem to think it makes a big difference - its sold by Paddy the forum owner so make of that what you will but I've just ordered a bottle to try.

bottom line as I'm sure you probably know is petrol makes WVO/SVO 50% more viscous but does reduce the cetane rating. Veggieboost and lots of other over the counter additives are cetane boosters but (again according to the forum owner) some are just acetone and colourings which many think adversely effects the engine.

Cetane improvers wont do anything to increase viscosity (petrol is for that) but will increase the performance and (many suggest) that it effectively negates the loss in calorific value by using veg and brings performance back up to that of diesel.
                      Last edited by biosurf; 22 January 2009, 10:46.

Comment

The exchanger looks good nice instal. Millers does improve a bit not fantastic going to try some other cetane booster from veggie forum see if its any better.

Comment

Originally posted by GIRDLES View Post
                          The exchanger looks good nice instal. Millers does improve a bit not fantastic going to try some other cetane booster from veggie forum see if its any better.
                          yeah i should maybe get some of that vegiboost that biosurf has mentioned,, however i dont have time to get it delivered before i leave tomorrow for my 1000 journey so i maybe just do without and order some to start using for next week.

Comment

have a check on paddys posts about why vboost is so good0 he mentions it being a specific chemical in its pure state rather than acetone etc.
                            Check the chemical and then check which on the shelf (i.e. stuff you get it halfrauds) has the same chemical in its pure state. they have quite a few cetane boosters so one will probably be the same stuff?

Comment

i don't see the point of heat exchangers, surely by the time your coolant is hot enough to make any difference, the fuel will be warm anyway??

would an electric pre-heater not be better?
                              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

well i would not like to attempt running 90% veg in winter, i had my fuel filter clogging running 60% veg after fitting the HE no clogging at all, happy days

the first few mins are lumpy but the surf engine is not long in putting heat to the heat exchanger.

Comment

Working...
                                X