High Revs Changing Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
    Too much fluid in the transmission is just as bad as too little.
    If there's too much, you run risk blowing a hose off due to high pressure amongst other things. Just drain a bit out either from the rad hose or drain plug.
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. I will drain off a bit of fluid and see if that helps. I just took it on a 50 mile run on the motorway, and found that I could not get it into top gear !!

I was doing 60mph at 4000rpm and it just wouldn't switch into top gear. Then the temp started rising obviously and I had to slow her right down to keep the temp at normal.

I'm beginning to think this is going to be expensive to sort out!

Would high or low atf cause this sort of problem, or could it be the clutch thingey?

Any more suggestions will be much appreciated.
    Just Vegging Out

Comment

well i would imagine that seeing as you only changed 5lts of oil you only changed a third of it.if it were me i would of taken the sump down and cleaned and removed the filter to check around the valve body.
      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
        well i would imagine that seeing as you only changed 5lts of oil you only changed a third of it.if it were me i would of taken the sump down and cleaned and removed the filter to check around the valve body.
        When you say 'sump', do you mean the box that has the drain plug for the atf? I realise I am getting a bit out of my depth with this, but I'm willing to give anything a go to sort this problem out. If I remove the sump, should I expect anything to drop out when I've undone all the bolts? I don't want a load of cogs and gears falling off when I remove the sump!!

What should I use to clean the filter and valve body?

Thanks again.
        Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger View Post
          When you say 'sump', do you mean the box that has the drain plug for the atf? I realise I am getting a bit out of my depth with this, but I'm willing to give anything a go to sort this problem out. If I remove the sump, should I expect anything to drop out when I've undone all the bolts? I don't want a load of cogs and gears falling off when I remove the sump!!

What should I use to clean the filter and valve body?

Thanks again.
          the sump is just a thin piece of metal used to hold oil ready for a tube to suck it up to spray it over things.. i would have thought the gearbox had a similar design?
          cogs shouldnt fall out when the sump is removed.. not unless your missing a few gears! lol
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the advice. I will drain off a bit of fluid and see if that helps. I just took it on a 50 mile run on the motorway, and found that I could not get it into top gear !!

I was doing 60mph at 4000rpm and it just wouldn't switch into top gear. Then the temp started rising obviously and I had to slow her right down to keep the temp at normal.

Would high or low atf cause this sort of problem, or could it be the clutch thingey?

I presume you are checking the fluid when Hot with the engine Running
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins View Post
              I presume you are checking the fluid when Hot with the engine Running

Err. Checking when it's hot, yes.

With the engine running? No. Doh!!

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and change the fluid again on the weekend, remove the sump, give it a good clean and refill.

I will have a go at flushing the whole system too so as to get more of the old atf out.

Just one more question. Having read the explanation about how the atf works, I still wonder whether there are other factors at play here. The atf isn't solely responsible for deciding when the gears change is it? There are other parts that determine when the gears change aren't there?

I'll let you know how I get on.
              Just Vegging Out

Comment

There are many other factors at play, but it's always best to start with the cheapest, easiest one when you don't know which possibility is causing the problem.

You need to check the fluid level with the engine up to temperature and running. Before checking it, park up, put your foot on the brake and shift through each of the gears for a few seconds before putting it in park and checking it.

Comment

Hi guys,

I've seen it on here that one of the solenoid valves can stick and give the same symptioms, what will probably be happening is that the transmission is not "locking up".

What happens is that at a certain speed (just over 50mph on the 3.0ltr) the torque converter locks so it acts like a proper clutch would when your foot is off the pedal. therefore your get direct drive to the gearbox and the revs drop off substantially (about 2600 to 1900-2000 I think)

search on here and you should find out how to check for that fault
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

If the T/C won't lock-up, adjust the kickdown cable.

Comment

did you resolve this mate - i've got the same symptoms

help please - my meachinic is about the change the torque converter - major £££££££

Regards,

alex

Comment

just a quick update -

i changed the atf last night but it didnt seem to make much of a difference - just on the off chance - i drove it up and down the farmers track in low ratio for a couple of minutes

low and behold this morning everything is fine - i dont know if its because i changed the atf or driving in low ratio or a combination of both but something worked - perhaps someone with better knowledge could explain this

i hope this might help someone else.

kindest regards,

alex

Comment

right I'm gonna try that tomorrow! I am having this problem now. Late gear changes on much higher revs and no 4th gear. ATF looks fine. switches all correct.
                          It is like driving with O/D off and etc on. Except even with ETC on the gear changes usually happen at much lower revs!
                          I'll try the CJ method first!
                          Member of the 115,000k club

Comment

Not worked. Will try replacing the atf fluid.

Comment

Ok this was wierd but on my way to get ATF for the change, the truck had stopped misbehaving. So it did this for two days and then when I started it up today to pop into town to get more ATF she was normal again. I've done the atf change anyway and I guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

I am still having this problem,my tranny is reving before changing to 2nd gear and right after 3rd comes in,by 40km fourth gear and over drive kicks in, which cause the engine to lose power at so low speed.
                                I did a complete flush and the level is find, what else can i do?
                                Does the TPS have any thing to do with this?

Comment

Working...
                                X